Frost Heater bumper plug locations

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I'll be ordering a kit soon and wanted to see if anyone else has installed their bumper plug and how they went about it. This is what my front end looks like:

Additionally, was planning to add the trickle charger and batter heater. Anyone have anything to say about those components?
Thanks!

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
This is how I’ve usually seen it done; looks nice, clean and “hidden”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
I put one in a 2006 BRM; posted pics to my album at http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=65039&cat=500&page=1 . I'll see if I can track down the post they refer too. A holesaw and marine outlet were involved...

Also, my 2014 Golf Wagon has the factory blockheater plugin. I've never looked at the back to see what it looks like. I just took a pic showing location and spring cover closed, and holding the cover open...

Edit: Found the link to the 2006 thread - fitting it with pics is at http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=117822&highlight=grill+plug . There are options you can look at - inside vw symbol, right side, left side...

Dan

Last edited:

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! Lots of options there. I may try to cut the fins out and mount it flush with the base of them. That seems like the cleanest. Now, how easy is that side vent to get out??

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
If I didn't have proviso built in I would not drill or modify anything, just do it old school with a bit of chord hanging out from under the hood.

On my last car I forgot to unplug and ripped out a piece of that lower fairing.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been known to forget to unplug as well. Last time I used a block heater was on my 02 f350. I got into the habit of looping the cord over my mirror as a reminder.

Speaking of the f350...there were many accounts of those rigs burning to the ground because the cord chafed and shorted so I am going to install the bumper plug.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I dont have fog lights but it's got to be similar.

mikereidjr

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I routed my cord out of the lower grille and behind the plug hidden right under the license plate bracket, I put a little zip tie back there so the cord doesn't come out. It just tucks underneath and you cant see it. I did buy the blastic plug cover for the plug end.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Ordered my kit today. Added the trickle charger and battery blanket.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Mine is mounted on the flat spot on the lower grille. Looks very clean and I didn't have to chop up the plug cover to make it fit.
It's been a few years, but I got the idea from another thread.
I removed the plastic skid plate and wheel well cover for access to complete the installation. I also wanted to see what else might be lurking behind there before drilling a hole.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I'm not so concerned with hiding the plug in but I did want something besides a plug hanging out of my grill.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is what I ended up with. Wish I had better tools to cut the plastic. Dremel cutting wheels were too weak and my small 3" angle grinder was a tad too big to access the fins well.
Ideally a 3" Hole saw would cut the OD for the plug, then you cut the rest of the way with the 2".

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wanted to share something I added to my setup yesterday that I find SO handy...

Wifi Outdoor timer by BN Link. Can be had on Amazon:
https://www.bn-link.com/collections...ckets-compatible-with-alexa-and-google-home-1

There have been weekend days that were cold enough to warrant a little warming up, but my outlet for this is not easily accessible. So I began to look for a wifi enabled solution. And ironically, this is the same company whom supplies the timer with the Frost Heater kit (if you order it that way). So if Terry trusts them, then I think I can.

Anyway, this thing is awesome! In the app, you can setup a schedule similar to how you would an Alexa Smart outlet. You can also turn it on with Alexa, or the app, or Google Home if you have that syetm.

Now, when it's nasty outside and we make plans to go somewhere outside of the normal schedule, I can get my car warming up ahead of time with a simple command or the opening of an app! I will likely be buying more of these!

amgerypotat

TDI
2005 Volkswagen Golf BEW
Here is what I ended up with. Wish I had better tools to cut the plastic. Dremel cutting wheels were too weak and my small 3" angle grinder was a tad too big to access the fins well.
Ideally a 3" Hole saw would cut the OD for the plug, then you cut the rest of the way with the 2".
Where did you get that cover? Looks good!