www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old December 4th, 2019, 13:45   #16
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I beg to differ. What can be easier than entering in 3 sets of numbers in a text.

More intuitive when you have more than one vehicle (I'm currently doing 2 cars and a Motorcycle, before I got rid of a 3rd car), plus using the mobile web interface lets you add additional data on your fillups (like location, additional notes, etc.).
scooperhsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2019, 14:06   #17
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Multiple cars can easily be handled by text as well. Additional data can be entered online later at your convenience instead of at the pump where you are blocking others or pulling over and having to do it on your phone.

But either way is fine and both are pretty easily done.

Long ago I suggested that they enable the ability to take a picture of your receipt and have that enter the data and store a copy of the receipt. But they haven't seen fit to do this.
Old December 5th, 2019, 14:28   #18
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Can't you just get a receipt from the pump, jot the trip reading on it, and do the text later?
Old December 5th, 2019, 14:41   #19
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I get the receipt, pull away from the pump so I am not blocking anyone and text it in. If I feel the need for additional info I do it online later. Taking a pic was in response to VW saying you had gas in the tank instead of diesel. It provided some proof. If you could take a pic of the receipt, and it do both, it would have been a win-win. It takes just a few seconds to text it in. I used to take pics of all my receipts and file them so I had a record of every fill up, just in case. I don't do that any more but I do go back online and fill in the location and other details in Fuelly.
Old December 5th, 2019, 15:57   #20
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
Can't you just get a receipt from the pump, jot the trip reading on it, and do the text later?
That's what I've always done, every tank. Spreadsheet. With all the values there you can spot changes.
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 18:20   #21
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Fuelly does that automatically including graphing them for you. You can also download them from the site for a spreadsheet if you like.
Old December 6th, 2019, 08:44   #22
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Three modes, Economy, Sport, and DSP. I prefer Sport for 01Ms bolted to the ALH, and Economy for those bolted to the gas engines. I find DSP becomes tiresome and confusing and often the TCM struggles to find out when it needs to change between the two.
But in any case, easy to change with VCDS. There are helper boxes that pop up in the TCM coding to tell you what to change. If you drive a lot of highway driving, it will not matter a whole lot, as it will be in 4th+ lockup the whole time anyway, regardless of soft coding.
^Pretty much.

Also, swapping to a manual gets you huge gains in MPGs. Almost seems as if the people I do the swap for get better fuel economy than the cars that can manual from the factory. Maybe the 11 mm pump and smaller nozzles are more efficient when bolted to a manual than the 10 mm and bigger nozzles. *shrug*

I will say that on some later transmissions, I especially noticed this on the 01V bolted to the BHWs, leaving DSP enabled in coding makes for a much better driving experience, especially if you deal with any steep hills. Without DSP, it will upshift much more frequently when you lift your foot off the throttle some, which is often times exactly what you don't want it to do, you want it to hold the lower gear while on that incline because when you make your turn and want to accelerate again it would have to downshift after it already went up a gear.

I experienced that in several instances with one of my BHWs living in a hilly area. When I reverted the coding back to enable DSP, it seems as if it was taking into account the inclination that the ABS/ESP was reporting on CAN and holding the gear appropriately, making for smarter operation from the transmission without my having to intervene in tiptronic mode.

If you live in flatlandia, you won't notice the difference. But living here, I certainly did notice the difference with DSP on.

The 01Ms are a different story, though. There's nothing all that great about their operation. Torque converter? More like torque absorber, amirite??

Well, I guess converter is still accurate... it's converting your torque to heat and noise. lol
Old December 6th, 2019, 10:41   #23
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I put my RC1 equipped BHW to 1134 soft coding at Jeff's suggestion, and never looked back. It works MUCH better ALL the time. I wish I could find a coding that would play nicer with the ZF box in my AWM Passat. That thing is awful, and I pretty much always have to avail myself of the Tip mode when I drive it at higher speeds, and even then, the TCM tries to over ride me.

[I hate automatics ]
Old December 9th, 2019, 16:08   #24
01m_jetta_02

TDI(s): 2002

Good posts, appreciate it everyone.

Best Tank 85% highway 15 city 47 mpg 750 miles
01m_jetta_02 is offline   Reply With Quote