100000 miles

Wasserpest

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta SW 6MT, '15 Jetta DSG
Just slipping past the first 100k, and hoping for many happy returns, I am wondering what should be looked at to maintain things as good as possible.

Oil and Filter changes have been done as prescribed. Wonderfully reliable car, only issue during all these years was a failed glow plug sensor, rectified with a $60 ebay replacement. Battery changed after 7 years, tires as necessary. I think the cooling liquid was changed during one of the "fixes".

What should I look at to get through the next 100k? Besides the 120k T-belt change...

• Manual Transmission fluid - change or wait until shifting gets difficult?
  • Brakes - wait for noises?
  • Shocks/struts?
  • Anything else I should expect?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd drain and refill the transmission now. Anything else, I'd wait for signs of wear.

Wasserpest

Veteran Member
TDI
Def transmission, that should've been done at least 3 times by now imo
Ok, thanks for confirming. I thought manual transmission fluid is considered "lifetime" by the manufacturer.
Could I get a recommendation for a brand/type? IDParts has OEM for $12/liter, I think I need 3 of them, right?

A3Dave

TDI
Audi A3
Ok, thanks for confirming. I thought manual transmission fluid is considered "lifetime" by the manufacturer.
Could I get a recommendation for a brand/type? IDParts has OEM for $12/liter, I think I need 3 of them, right?
Oh I missed that it is a manual, you can get away with much more infrequent changes on a manual, I personally would've still stuck to 30k in my own vehicle but you're fine. I'm unsure of parts/quantity.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Do it every timing belt service at minimum. Mine is every 100k so it's a nice round number.

Wasserpest

Veteran Member
TDI
There's a third possible: https://www.idparts.com/speed-manual-transmission-fluid-p-12702.html

Your owners manual should indicate what's correct. If you prefer, we can run your VIN to confirm fitment.

I have studied the Owners Manual, as well as the Warranties & Maintenance booklet, and for the heck of me can't find it anywhere.

Not sure if I want to post my VIN here...

Your link above tells me: Does not fit your 2010 Sporwagen TDI!
While the other two note: This fits your 2010 Sporwagen TDI!

I will probably just ask IDParts.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I have studied the Owners Manual, as well as the Warranties & Maintenance booklet, and for the heck of me can't find it anywhere.

Not sure if I want to post my VIN here...

Your link above tells me: Does not fit your 2010 Sporwagen TDI!
While the other two note: This fits your 2010 Sporwagen TDI!

I will probably just ask IDParts.

In fact , I would suggest you DON'T post your VIN. Indigobluewagon is the principal owner of ID Parts, however.

Wasserpest

Veteran Member
TDI
In fact , I would suggest you DON'T post your VIN. Indigobluewagon is the principal owner of ID Parts, however.

Yep I thought so, thank you.

IDP got back to me really fast, the correct one for my car is https://www.idparts.com/speed-manual...1l-p-2421.html

Any thoughts on brake fluid changes... The dealer changed that at 30000 miles... not been done since. I remember it used to be every 3 years or something like that. I might be behind on that one...

Mmobley15

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
For just a peace of mind, I use a product called “Fluid Film” underneath and around my car. It’s just an added layer of protection that will keep surface rust at bay. I usually try and go for every 50,000 miles, remove mud flaps and wheel wells and spray down parts that are prone to get rust. Also helps protect those stubborn bolts that end up rusty and then impossible to remove. Way better than those under car paint scams. I’ve seen entire frames rot because of that. Other than that, oil changes oil changes and oil changes.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
You can measure brake pad and disk thickness. check them all, since one common item is the development of a sticking caliper pin, which will be evidenced by one pad being much more worn than the others.

Keep in mind that the rear brake pistons need to be screwed back into place, not just pressed.

but other than that, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Last edited:

Wasserpest

Veteran Member
TDI
For just a peace of mind, I use a product called “Fluid Film” underneath and around my car. It’s just an added layer of protection that will keep surface rust at bay. I usually try and go for every 50,000 miles, remove mud flaps and wheel wells and spray down parts that are prone to get rust. Also helps protect those stubborn bolts that end up rusty and then impossible to remove. Way better than those under car paint scams. I’ve seen entire frames rot because of that. Other than that, oil changes oil changes and oil changes.

Sounds interesting, thank you for sharing, I'll read up on it. Living in California, rust hasn't been a problem so far.

Wasserpest

Veteran Member
TDI
You can measure brake pad and disk thickness. check them all, since one common item is the development of a sticking caliper pin, which will be evidenced by one pad being much more worn than the others.

Keep in mind that the rear brake pistons need to be screwed back into place, not just pressed.
Good point, thanks, I'll have the mechanic check that when they change the brake fluid.

but other than that, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

aint it the truth... good friend of mine swears by never ever changing the brake fluid, unless something needs to be fixed anyway.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Good point, thanks, I'll have the mechanic check that when they change the brake fluid.

aint it the truth... good friend of mine swears by never ever changing the brake fluid, unless something needs to be fixed anyway.
That's just stupid. Since ABS, all cars should have brake fluid changes. All those small passages, something will go wrong and ABS pumps are expensive.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Problem is that brake fluid attracts and retains moisture and the moisture will harm the pump. Not great for calipers, either.