Emissions Workshop

rakokid

TDI
Jetta 06
2006 Jetta TDI with 156,000 Miles.

It just came up on the instrument cluster and will not go away.
On the tachometer there is a picture of a yellow engine - Exhaust System Malfunction. On the Multi-function indicator it states "Emissions Workshop". I have been driving for a week with no ill effects. What damage could i potentially be doing? It tells me to go the dealer immediately....UGH!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The first and best place to go is to someone who has a VCDS and can read the actual codes stored in the ECU. Only then will you be able to figure out what is really wrong and therefore what you want to/can do/will do about it.

Cheers & good luck,

PH

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Do not go to the dealer. They are usually the most expensive option and there is no guarantee they will fix your car correctly. If you do not have access to a VCDS cable go to one of your local parts store. They will check your car for fault codes for free and give you a printout of the fault codes stored in you Engine Control Unit..

A VCDS cable is a better option however a free generic scan at a parts store could be very helpful in figuring out why the check engine light is on.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
just go to advanced auto, borrow the scanner for free, read codes, go home, look up codes, report back with said codes and fix whatever is wrong yourself or by a TRUSTED TDI Mechanic from this forum recommended sticky. your not hurting anything by driving it as is with a emissions issue. maybe a few MPG less worst case. if you go to a dealership, dont come crying back here for help after you got ripped off and got the car damaged, over worked on issues that did not solve or was not issue.