A new diesel option-F150

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I didn't mean to offend. Nothing wrong with being a redneck- many of my best friends and neighbors are rednecks. They can have money too. Also, the redder the neck, the more likely they'll actually being using their truck for its intended purpose. But a $60k pickup has got to have some sort of status symbol connotations to justify that price.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
There are many dealerships that offer large discounts on F-150’s. I bought a new 2012 F-150 in the summer of 2012 and got $15k off of the msrp. Those discounts can still be had if you shop around and purchase at the right time. The larger discounts are on XLT’s, Lariat’s with more options and the Platinums’s. Request a brochure in the Ford website and they’ll usually send you some rebate offers (private cash) with it that can be stacked with other rebates.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
So a 3/4 ton truck will do ya fine. And with that much weight hanging off the rear, the longer the wheelbase the better it will handle. Not sure if it will *need* the load leveler stabilizer rods on the hitch, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. Plus, the dry weight of a camper is just a starting point. The bigger they are, the more cabinets, cupboards, closets, beds, tanks, etc. they have to put stuff in... and it all adds up.
Could one get a trailer with a lunette ring, if someone wanted a heavy trailer but a normal bed to use like a regular 'ol pickup truck? I myself would love to use a gooseneck in the future on my 1 ton, but that means removing the service bed and putting on a flat bed.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I happened to stop by our local Ford dealer today to get some info on the new Diesel F150. Took some photos of trucks on the lot, including this price sticker.

And I don't think it was the most expensive F150 there. Funny, since I was sent a price sticker for a leftover '16 Audi A6 TDI yesterday, and sticker was $66K. I'm not buying either, but I know which I'd rather spend that much money on.
What's the point of spending $61K on an F150, when another 10-12 grand will get you a fully loaded F350? And 18mpg is only about 3 better than the crappy turboboost joke of a V6, anyways.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What's the point of spending $61K on an F150, when another 10-12 grand will get you a fully loaded F350? And 18mpg is only about 3 better than the crappy turboboost joke of a V6, anyways.
Biggest thing is drivability. Typically, the F150 will have a much tighter turning radius then the F350 and be easier to climb in to. I understand the need to have a heavier duty truck for towing or payload capacity. I'm limiting my search for a travel trailer to something I can comfortably pull behind a 3/4 ton truck. One of the reasons is that I know the longer the trailer, the less likely my wife will be to drive it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just confirmed yesterday that the diesel F150 will ONLY be available on the two highest trim levels, so no XL or XLT, which forces them into a bunch of other "optional" things, which will easily push the MSRP over $50k. :rolleyes:

Oddly enough, diesel XL and XLT are available for "fleet" sales, whatever that means. I am trying to find this out. The small Ford dealer in my small rural town does not have the buying power the big dealer in STL (Dave Sinclair) does, so maybe they are limited to how they order.

The Chevrolet Captiva (miserable turd, BTW) was a "fleet only" vehicle too, yet I have seen plenty of them running around enough that makes me think GM did sell some to the general public too.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I know there are fleet versions of the F350 Powerstroke, my brother's construction company just bought a couple. Plain trim, no electronic gadgets, plastic seats. He said they run about $40K, which is pretty low.

The fleet version may be the desirable one.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Gm has done the same thing with the baby duramax. You can get it in an extended cab version but only in the work truck trim. Means no jump seats, no carpet, vinyl seats

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
The Chevrolet Captiva (miserable turd, BTW) was a "fleet only" vehicle too, yet I have seen plenty of them running around enough that makes me think GM did sell some to the general public too.
Any worse of a miserable turd than a Nissan Versa or Rogue? The Rogue is funny - I know two people who both had to replace transmissions on theirs (no surprise), one before 80K!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
CVTs (except for the hybrid Toyotas) are generally awful, and Nissan's are probably the worst in recent years. Subaru apparently learned little from their attempt in the '80s with the Justy, either.

We have a fleet that had Versas and they ALL had CVT failures. Every. Last. One. 100% failure rate.

Another horrible one is the Saturn Vues that used them, and the Ford unit in some of the Five Hundred/Taurus/Freestyle cars.

The VAG CVT, just used in FWD Audi A4s and A6s, was so bad a class action lawsuit was brought against them. Fortunately, the Passat continued to use the ZF automatic, which is much better.

The CVT is in large part why my personal worst ever "new" car, the Mitsubishi Mirage, is so, so bad. Followed closely by the Caliber/Compass/Patriot abortions. :rolleyes:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
CVTs (except for the hybrid Toyotas) are generally awful, and Nissan's are probably the worst in recent years. Subaru apparently learned little from their attempt in the '80s with the Justy, either.
We have a fleet that had Versas and they ALL had CVT failures. Every. Last. One. 100% failure rate.
Another horrible one is the Saturn Vues that used them, and the Ford unit in some of the Five Hundred/Taurus/Freestyle cars.
The VAG CVT, just used in FWD Audi A4s and A6s, was so bad a class action lawsuit was brought against them. Fortunately, the Passat continued to use the ZF automatic, which is much better.
The CVT is in large part why my personal worst ever "new" car, the Mitsubishi Mirage, is so, so bad. Followed closely by the Caliber/Compass/Patriot abortions. :rolleyes:
Highlighted in bold, I remember reading that before, almost verbatim. And that's also what I envision, verbatim, every time I see one of those s#!ts driving down the road. I also always wondered if the Nissan Joke, err, Juke, has a CVT.

I think FCA had a class action for faulty transmissions recently. I had a Jeep rental last year (I want to say Renegade or something that started with an R). I admit, I had some fun with the car, but I got a CEL and the engine died. I was only at the end of my street. Drove home, hooked up VCDS, had to google the fault code. Replace transmission. Lovely. And on top of that, while driving in limp mode back to Enterprise to get something else, I got a warning for oil temperature too hot. That explains why FCA stands for F**king Crappy Automobiles.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I also always wondered if the Nissan Joke, err, Juke, has a CVT.
Ours has a 6-speed manual. My wife got a gas Juke with the CVT once. She called me to listen to the stupid thing screaming at the top of its lungs while failing to accelerate.
Who would voluntarily buy anything this awful?

The larger Nissan CUVs come in optional diesel-with-CVT versions, manuals are available at lower prices.
The only gas version of the Rogue/X-Trail Europe gets is a FWD manual. Want an automatic? Diesel only. Want AWD? Diesel only.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
The Juke does have a CVT (or a manual, surprisingly).
I wonder if that's the Nismo version with the standard. I was on SH-130 a few weeks ago (our toll road with the 85mph speed limit), and I actually cut off a Joke for hogging the passing lane. But yet, he had no problems accelerating; apparently, he was with a group that included a Porsche 911, Audi R8, Lamborghini Gallardo, and something else. I was in a Cadillac XTS rental, and it was fun being the pace car at 110mph.

I kept thinking there's no way in hell a CVT is gonna get to 110mph... not without blowing up, first.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
When we were down at Mt Baker last month, we met a couple pulling a mid size Airstream (~6000 lbs) with a Ram Cummins. We got into the usual discussion about tow vehicles as we were pulling our trailer with the Beetle to everyones amazement.

They said that this truck was new because their brand new Eco diesel blew up on the their first trip and was replaced with a Cummins equipped truck.

Last edited: