Gear vs what speed

sonspot

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey, I've new to TDI and haven't had a 4cly engine in a long time and never a diesel. I'm coming from a BMW, inline 6, red lines at 6.5K vs 4.5K..

My question is whats your top speed with respect to gear that you're in lets say 1st gear to 3rd gear (maybe 4th as well), whats the highest speed you would drive in those gears for a few minutes if not longer. I mainly drive by engine sound and or final speed that I'll be going but with the TDI looking at the RPM vs my speed..

Thanks

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I typically keep my RPMs from 1600 to 2500, depending on conditions. This is still directly related to engine sound, you can tell when it's not happy.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
The torque curve is flat from 1950 rpm to 4200 rpm. There is a sweet spot betwen 1950 and 2050 rpm where there is a spike in the torque making it the high torque low rpm sweet spot.

And keeping the rpm >1950 you can stomp on it without fear of putting the turbo in stall mode.

sonspot

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks guys, I'm still getting used to the sound of the TDI, plus I need to make sure nothing is wrong with the engine and everything I'm hearing is suppose to be there and not a problem in waiting lol