MKIV wagon roof rack cross bar options

Tbone77

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Looking for crossbars for my 04 Jetta wagon.

I've searched eBay and found some for $60 which look good but would like some feedback from people who have added crossbars; what brand you used and how you like them.

I'll try and add a link later to the ones I'm looking at.

Thanks

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
I had had the same thule crossbars for 5 cars just changed the feet. get whats cheaper to you thule are good yakima are better for a load in the center as the pipe is stronger than square tube. Think about what your going to carry also as accesory mount costs vary as well. I have the new thule feet on my jwagon and like them better than the previous version. the new one has a metal strap v.s. stamped steel arms, much easier to remove and adjust.

Tbone77

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'm just planning to put one of those ski type luggage boxes on top to hold some lighter stuff on long trips. Going with a trailer for bigger stuff.

Might chance a set of eBay bars for cheap

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
If its just the bars alone you seek, check your local kiji or craigslist. I've found sets of bars through CL with accessories for what the accessories alone should have cost. :) They're now holding my waterskis in the garage rafters, and I still have bars for both the Corrado and the MkV without taking the waterskis down.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
I have a thule box i use also if you are buying a box look for easy to use feet mine have a screw vise setup on in 2 minutes brother inlaws sears excarco takes ten with help. si it stays on for a week after the trip home

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
I have the ones from ebay and they work fine. Not a normal (thule/ yakima) connection type, but it does the job. Mine are getting a little rust on the ends near the plugs from the salt this winter, other than that no problems.

ik0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
I used to sell both Thule and Yakima at a place I used to work at and let me tell you the yakima's were easier to install and fit better in almost every instance. He round bars are stronger as previously mentioned and the accessory attachments fit better and install easier with the round bars.
Customer service is great if and when you need it.

For an idea of what the rack system may look like for you, check out one of my previous posts...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=318836

Last edited:

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
We have a 2002 forester and the bar's feet don't adjust well, it's not a good fit on the Jetta wagon. They would work in a pinch but not great. The Jetta bars are very narrow

Sorry for bumping and old thread.

TDI
2003 Golf TDI (MK IV - ALH)
Hi there, looking for MkIV roof rack OEM parts. Anyone know where I can find the end caps for the bars and or the claw and tire cinch that go with the Trek VW bike rack?

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Go OEM. B5 Passat wagon bars and mk4 Jetta wagon bars are the same. I got mine off Craigslist for $100.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Hi there, looking for MkIV roof rack OEM parts. Anyone know where I can find the end caps for the bars and or the claw and tire cinch that go with the Trek VW bike rack?
IIRC the roof racks sold as VW were made by Thule. Yours looks like the old Thule Big Mouth 599XTR. Replacement parts might be available from Thule, otherwise, search for items on CL. The OEM bars are common and fairly cheap, the tray rack is harder to find and holds value. Here's a link:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/thule-support/spare-parts?q=599xtr

UgoTdi

TDI
jetta wagon tdi PD