Tail of the Dragon Trip

mxcobra

TDI
2001 Golf TDI (Ind Blue)
I have never been to a TDI fest .. But this year I'm thinking of making the trip... I have been to "Deals Gap" AKA Tail of the Dragon before in my Factory Five Cobra. (ABSOLUTE BLAST!)

Would anyone be interested in a convoy down one of the most "fun" roads in the US ? Looks like its only 250 miles from Lexington KY ..:D

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
The dragon is awesome. Was just there last weekend with an R32 group. Makes me want to ditch the all TDI fleet, and add a gasser to the mix.

xTheChadx

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta
The dragon is awesome. Was just there last weekend with an R32 group. Makes me want to ditch the all TDI fleet, and add a gasser to the mix.
hey i drove my TDI harder in the twisties around Eureka springs AR, then most of the Porsche's did on the "spirited drive" last year at Porsheapoloza.... so the torque is alot of fun in the twisties, so Im in on drive over and through the deals gap

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
:)

My daughter and I drove it 2-3 years ago and had a good time. We did the Cherohala Skyway, too. We're planning to hit it again on our way to TDIFest... sort of. We're driving from VA to TX for a family visit. We'll hit TOTD on the way out, likely around AUG 14th. But we could be convinced to hit it on the way to Lexington from TX. But I don't think I'd want to do it after the morning of Sep 2nd. I imagine it could be crowded after that.

Hmmm... I'm now contemplating altering my plans to stay in Athens, TN the evening of the 1st, hitting the Cherohala Skyway and TOTD the morning of the 2nd, then arriving at TDIFest that afternoon. It looks to be about six or seven hours with stops and twisties. :)

Scott

kleinergti1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99.5,00,01 etc etc
I went to an r32 gtg last year at the tail which was closed due to a rock slide. All the other roads around the area were equally impressive. I was actually voted best driver for the event, but burned up a set of direzza z1 star spec tires.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
What a lot don't realize is the speed limit is 45. And they enforce the crap out of it. I've nearly been killed twice on it from a-holes in cars crossing 3-4 ft over the center line with me coming the other way on the bike. Believe me, there were words.

The only time its not really crowed is during the week early. There are a lot of trucks too as its legal for them to be there despite what some say and they cannot make the corners unless they swing into the oncoming lane. Just a warning to make sure you can stop short......

As Kleiner said there are a ton of other roads in the area.

kevin071572

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6spd
My wife and I just returned from the Tail a few weeks ago. It was our first trip and we had a blast. They changed the speed limit down to 30 now. Which only means the tickets will cost more. :(
During the week is the best time to go!

Here is my '11 golf from Killboys website. No mods yet, but anti sway bars are top of the list after this trip.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Killboy was inop when I did the tail 3yrs ago with Jeff of Rocketchip, on my Gold wing..... Great drive done in November. It was toooooo cold and late in the year for flashing blues. I am planning for late Oct trip this time on a R1200RT.