Huge cloud of smoke, limp mode, then running great?

misternoggin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Recently, my engine has been feeling like it is down on power above 3400 rpm and there was some whitish smoke on acceleration. I figured it was probably in need of an intake cleaning since it felt like this before the last one.

This morning I was accelerating quickly, just past 3k rpm when there was a popping noise, the engine went into limp mode, and there was a big cloud of black smoke. It felt like the engine was about to die, kind of like with gelled fuel, but with lots of black smoke every time I tried to accelerate. Against my better judgement, I drove another half hour to work. Over time the smoke cleared up, but it stayed in limp mode.

I thought maybe a hose had come loose, broken, or something similar, but couldn't see anything when I checked before driving home. Once it got up to temp I gave it some throttle expecting nothing or maybe going back into limp mode, but instead it was great. It ran right up to red line completely smoothly without any power loss. Much better than it has been in weeks, or maybe the last couple months.

Any idea what might have happened? Maybe the engine ingested a piece of carbon that had been blocking the intake?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
With the pop and black smoke I would have thought a hose popped off or split.
Running OK again confuses me.
Did you scan for codes and check if you are getting the correct boost?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Internet guess something came loose and getting more air made the motor a bit happier.
Track down the loose bit and troubleshoot for low air supply (like clogged filter or?).