BEW W\ 17/22. Water meth question

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Mods in sig, EGTs are through the roof in the summer time and I'm considering an ultralight trailer for camping. 1000lb dry weight. I'm concerned about mountain driving through BC. EGTs are pretty high with a loaded car already. How much of a lower am I potentially looking at if I go the water meth route? Anyone have experience with similar mods? Thanks in advance guys.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
how's your oil cooling? Do you have an oil temp gage?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
What're you seeing for EGTs? how much smoke? Additional cooling would probably be better than water/meth for the sake of simplicity and reliability. Agree that an oil temp gauge would be best if you're worried about temps, EGTs are only one part of the story and the factory coolant gauge is not accurate.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
I have a scan gauge 2 with water temp always on the display, it's usually well within check so I know that system is golden. If I had to guess I'd say the oil cooling has something to do with it. Could probably invest in a larger oil cooler. When Mark and I were tuning the car many moons ago we worked pretty closely on smoke and EGTs. I do have a front mount intercooler and my IATs are always around 10* above ambient. I only get smoke either when the turbo lags, or at WOT above 3k rpm, maybe a little higher even, even then it's more of a haze. More smoke when it's above 20* ambient.

Edit, it's hard to say for sure for EGTs but flat land Alberta come about half way through 4th on a solid pull I'm sweating 1450 or so. Come 5th I usually have to let off before 2500. Driving through the mountains, best examples being the hill out of Kamloops, or opposite out of Merritt I really have to tone it down. Keep the air flowing in lower gears.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Yeah that hill outside Kamloops is a monster, I've driven out there a couple times to do some altitude/load testing since the speed limits are higher, between that and the coquihalla summit it makes for some good logging. Should be fine towing if driven sensibly, you're still well under the weight of vanagon syncros and we tune them with this setup fairly frequently.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Awesome thank you Owain. I'm currently on the hunt for a Darkside kit as well, probably a 22/60. So as far as EGTs go that should really tame it down a bit. I haven't done any tuning for a long while now but I'll be in touch with you guys if that's the route I go. Still have my tuner and original files even I think.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
When I had my car on the track, I was seeing EGTs in the 1720-1730*F range and that made me a little nervous for my 17/22 turbo. Luckily I only saw those temps on the 2 longer straight aways. Like you, I have a pretty good fmic to help keep the egts in check.
As far as upgrading to a gtb2260 for your next turbo might be the wrong move if you are towing with your car.
If it was me, I'd be looking at the gtd1752 as your next turbo. I know if my 17/22 goes, I'll be replacing it with a gtd1752 for the ball bearing turbo, the responsiveness, and should have lower egts.
http://www.turbo-upgrade.com/produse/ball-bearing-turbocharger-gtd1752vrk/131/
I've heard ryanp is working on a gtd turbo kit, but I'm not sure if he has one in the works for the gtd1752, but I've read a gtd2060 is in the works...

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Hmmm, I wonder if he could confirm this? I'd be really interested in going that route over any other really, instant spooling with no compromise to torque and top end power sounds heavenly. I can definitely wait until something like this comes out before upgrading.