how do I know what engine and tranny I have 98 jetta tdi?

obxwrangler

TDI
jetta and passat
I have a 98 jetta tdi im trying to figure out what engine and tranny I have. On the fuel pump cover in the trunk it says 1z for engine and ATL for the tranny. I see a lot of AHU engines refered to in here but not the 1Z engine. Do these seem to be the right codes for a 98 or is it located directly on the engine and tranny somewhere to get more specific?
thanks for help in advance.

1z engine
atl tranny

ralphy6177

TDI
1998 Jetta
I'm somewhat new at this too but I'll tell you what I know. The MK3 jetta TDI's only came out with one transmission, 5-speed manual. No other transmission was offered for the TDI on the MK3 platform, which is what yours is. Your engine is 1z, same as mine. I think it's the same as the AHU but not 100% positive.

You are on the right track by looking on the tag in the trunk.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
This is the Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs section. You'll find you will get more replies to your questions if you post in the right place. Please post your thread in the appropriate section.

Try posting this in the General VW Discussion section.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Like this?

There is no ATL code transmission in the VW database. Don't ask me how you and I got these build sheets for gearsets that do not exist.
My transmission is stamped with the expected CTN code, but this build sticker from the trunk has been puzzling me since I discovered the unexpected code yesterday.

The transmission code is stamped on a flat, machined surface on top of the transmission roughly between the starter motor and the clutch slave cylinder.

Last edited:

obxwrangler

TDI
jetta and passat
damn my bad I didnt even notice it was the picture section im gonna repost over in the correct section. Thanks