transmission problems? - as soon as the temperature goes low problems come up

Kashwashwa

TDI
98 Jetta
Ok, so my 98 Jetta TDI which I purchased 4 months ago has been sitting in the driveway. I just licensed it, and was going to start driving it starting today.

The only time I've driven it was the 200kms to my house from where I purchased it, and that was in the summer.

Anyway, I charged the battery overnight, and the car started fine. 1st problem - check engine light came on. I'll get my friend to check it out.

2nd and more immediately major problem - it wont get in or out of gear...

We're talking like 0 degrees fahrenheit, or -16 C or so, it's not THAT cold.

I tried to put it in reverse and it seemed REALLY tough, but sometimes reverse is, so I end up shoving it in gear, but barely. It felt quite weird backing up - like the clutch wasn't doing a lot, becuase the drive would keep going a bit while the clutch was in, it wouldn't take all power away like it should.

Then I realize while I'm in the street, this thing is NOT coming out of reverse... I shut the car off, and mess with the shifter for about 10 minutes, thought I might brake the thing :(, but it eventually finally came out...

While the car was off, I could put it in the gears, but while it was on, I couldn't.

Is my clutch shot??? :(....

Could it have something to do with the transmission fluid, and sitting for that long?

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Tdi Jetta Mine, 2008 Jeep GC CRD, 2005 Passat TDi
Could be the clutch, did it grid going into reverse with the car on? I am not sure if the 98 was cable or hyrd clutch, so that would be the next step. If hyrd check the brake fluid as it gets its supply from there. Also, with the car off and on a slight incline push the clutch in, does that car move? If the car moves then its more then likely the tranny, if it does not move the clutch is not engaging.
Where are you located?
Hope you figure this out soon.

Benjamin