Changing camshaft

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Some opinions please:
Before I buy the two tools to remove 18 mm center cam bolt (cam hub holder) and cam hub (puller) I would appreciate opinions on the tools I already have. I own sprocket counter holder (blue handle - I believe now green for newer one). Is this tool adequate to stabilize sprocket while loosening 18 mm center bolt without damaging sprocket or other components? I also have a 3 arm puller that may be a little large to fit in while cam is still in car. Is it practical to remove cam hub and camshaft as one unit and then remove hub after it is out of car if necessary?
Articles also suggest rotating camshaft 90 degrees CCW to place cam end at tandem pump vertically to remove cam without having to remove tandem pump.
Is this best done by removing the timing belt and first rotating crankshaft 90 degrees CCW to place pistons midstroke so there would be no valve - piston contact and then rotating camshaft 90 degrees CCW to place slot vertically? Lastly, best done with cam bearing caps in place or already removed? I have a second car at my disposal, so I can take my time. Thanks in advance.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Thank you for your response.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Frankly it is not a bad idea to loosen the tandem pump and replace the gasket while you are in there. Besides them leaking from the bottom over time, if you don't replace the gasket you have to make sure you seal the #5 cam cap against the TP gasket, which can be challenging to make sure it is right.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for your response. If QuickTD and VWztips both tell me to remove tandem pump and for two different reasons no less, I would have to be foolish not to do it. As I have seached for parts, I noticed that there are tandem pump rebuild kits available consisting of gaskets, o-rings, and hardware. Is it overkill to rebuild pump as compared to just replacing gasket between pump and engine? I guess the question is it mainly the pump-engine gasket that fails? Thanks.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I have rebuilt my own TP with a kit but it was because it was acting up. If you are not having fueling problems I would just replace the exterior gasket and motor on

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
No, no issues with TP. Will just do what's necessary. Thank you.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
If you are going to pull the tandem pump, then you may as well pull and replace the coolant flange, seal and coolant sensor. Fuel dripping from the tandem pump kills the seal and flange.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you. I agree while there. Have the sensor already, need to get flange. Also will look at coolant hose behind head and intake flap motor needs attention.