96 TDI Passat, where to buy catalytic converter?

mendes9

Hello, I need to replace my catalytic converter, dealer wants over $600 for replacement.. where can I buy an aftermarket at a lower price? Thanks!

dieselt

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 2000, green
are you in a state that requires them? if not just straight pipe it by having your handy muffler/pipe shop bend you a stainless steel relacement for the entire exhaust (with hangars). They can weld on the flange for the connection to the engine pipe and all you do or they can do for you is to bolt it up and hang it.

twob4s

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Blue
....Or you could remove it, punch out the honeycomb and reinstall. Assuming the problem is a plugged cat. Although I am not sure of what toxic hazards there might be to yourself by doing this.

rloring

TDI
1996 Passat TDi Wagon
Hello, I am looking for the same thing. Were you able to fine one at a decent price?

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
I bought one from the dealer a few years back for something like $800. Next time that money is going into a 2.5 inch SS straight pipe.

If you must have one I believe MetalNerd was working on finding a source more affordable.

Pradeep

TDI
96 Passat Black
My 96 Passat CAT was cut and replaced with a universal cat by local mufflar shop. Working fine for last 15000 KM without any change in fuel consumption or power. They charge me Can $ 250.00

Rick P.

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat, Tornado Red, RIP Feb 17, 2006
There are lots of TDI's around here and therefore numerous choices for new aftermarket cats. I chose the largest of 3 available over-the-counter when I replaced mine (97 Passat). Our neighbours to the south aren't as lucky.

Rick

My 96 Passat CAT was cut and replaced with a universal cat by local mufflar shop. Working fine for last 15000 KM without any change in fuel consumption or power. They charge me Can $ 250.00