Break dust

Claybreaker

TDI
2015 TDI Golf SE
Question you all. I just picked up a COP 2015 Golf SE and I really like the car. But I have never owned a car that gets break dust so fast. I am not standing on the breaks every stop. I just washed the car and drove less than 30-35 miles and you could wright your name on the front rims. Anything I could use to keep dust off or to a minimum. Thanks.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Agree.

Get some long lasting ceramic pads. So they'll eat the rotor.

One of the 2 have to wear....

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Both of them wear no matter what and both are supposed to be replaced at the same time. The ceramic setup is cleaner though as a benefit.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I try to minimize brake usage in the TDI and as a result have noticed barely any brake dust at all during regular washing.

The GTI, on the other hand, is my fun car, and I love putting the performance pack brakes through their motions. They put out a TON of dust on my machined silver wheels. A 30-sec spritz of Meguiar's Hot Rims and a quick wash with the wheel brush cleans them right up though.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
All the years of washing cars ive never used the "pre soak" spray option. I do now and cant believe the difference it makes in the washing procedure of the car. No brush or wash mit needed anywhere on the car. Brake dust just washes away and wheels shine like new.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
toss the oem pads, The rears are just MK4 pads BTW so get good ceramic like Akebono and the fronts I got at ECS. also this car doesnt have stainless inserts for the sliders,, sad to see,,

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Really? I only replaced rotors/drums if well beyond service limit or warped.

Beside that, only chased them with new pads until too thin.

Although there were times I had to chase the edge of rotor with a grinding wheel to get the caliper to slip off, it still functioned just as good as if there were no raised edges....

Racing equipment and driving to beat the hundredth of a second is a whole different comparison, in my perspective anyways.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You can do what ever you want, but pads and rotors are supposed to be replaced at the same time. The cost is small and I like having brand new parts on all wheels.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I guess I have been doing it wrong all these years by just replacing only the pads when the rotors are within spec and smooth.

I also have to take back all my bad comments about the local tire stores and their replacing everything that moves with substandard parts every time without fail. I feel bad now.

If dust is an issue, ceramic pads are a good alternative. Otherwise I use only factory or Pagid, or Textar, which are also factoy.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Wow. That's expensive!

Rotors alone on my 1ton are like $140 each!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I was speaking vehicles in whole regarding expensive.

Semi drivers probably don't follow that practice.

I don't. I buy my own lining and re-line with brass rivots.

Claybreaker

TDI
2015 TDI Golf SE
I was just wondering because the front rotors and pads were just changed during the COP certification. Just a very dirty front wheels I am not used to.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The pads stop the car well and may be biased towards the front causing more dust up front. I just find the stock pads very dirty. If you have new rotors you could just change the pads now if you want to with some ceramic pads and be done with it. They are much cleaner and work well. If you can do your own work it shouldn't take long and only expense is the cost of the pads.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Hey light flyer/meerschm sorry i forgot to change the owned vehicle, i have a 2015 golf tdi now the Jetta is no more sadly, does akebono make a set for the front on the golf? I know they have the rears, just not sure what to get for the front... Glad to hear the idparts pads work well, i was hoping to find something from akebono as i had that on the Jetta

Last edited:

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
My OEM pads make very little dust. In the 10k miles that I've put on the car I haven't noticed much, if any, brake dust buildup on the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Hey light flyer/meerschm sorry i forgot to change the owned vehicle, i have a 2015 golf tdi now the Jetta is no more sadly, does akebono make a set for the front on the golf? I know they have the rears, just not sure what to get for the front... Glad to hear the idparts pads work well, i was hoping to find something from akebono as i had that on the Jetta
EUR1760 front and EUR340A rear From my searches.

https://www.carid.com/akebono/euro-ultra-premium-ceramic-front-disc-brake-pads-mpn-eur1760.html

Last edited: