Project Race Wagon - 15 GSW Street/Track Build

BIO-PWR

TDI
'01 Golf TDI, '15 GSW S with 6MT
They have been fantastic! I replaced the front two after 15,000 miles and 6 trackdays. I call that a win! I was going to go with Super Sports, but a friend at Michelin recommended the A/S3+. I recommend them to everyone. We even just put a set on our shop BMW 328d Xdrive.
The A/S3+ has been great as a summer tire for me. Fuel economy is not a strong point but they are quiet and have a ton of real world grip! I will say even with only 215s they do get a bit dicey at speed in heavy rain but that may just be our W-shaped highway surface here in NH /VT. Glad I didn't go with the PSS, these are plenty for a daily driver. Peter's suggestion of a track-specific wheel/tire is a good one, you'll be cutting tons of time off your laps.

Side note: I have also been very impressed with the BFG Advantage T/A Sport on my MK4. Michelin quality (same company) at a lower price point. Great balance of performance, comfort and economy. Plus the deeper lugs are much better for adventuring on back roads and pulling the Boston Whaler up a gravel boat launch... Might try them as my next tire on the GSW.

Love the build Larry! Someday I'll pony up for that Wavetrac...

Do you have any sort of lower engine mount insert (Like 034's billet version) or an upgraded dogbone?

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
The A/S3+ has been great as a summer tire for me. Fuel economy is not a strong point but they are quiet and have a ton of real world grip! I will say even with only 215s they do get a bit dicey at speed in heavy rain but that may just be our W-shaped highway surface here in NH /VT. Glad I didn't go with the PSS, these are plenty for a daily driver. Peter's suggestion of a track-specific wheel/tire is a good one, you'll be cutting tons of time off your laps.

Side note: I have also been very impressed with the BFG Advantage T/A Sport on my MK4. Michelin quality (same company) at a lower price point. Great balance of performance, comfort and economy. Plus the deeper lugs are much better for adventuring on back roads and pulling the Boston Whaler up a gravel boat launch... Might try them as my next tire on the GSW.

Love the build Larry! Someday I'll pony up for that Wavetrac...

Do you have any sort of lower engine mount insert (Like 034's billet version) or an upgraded dogbone?
I have not installed any upgraded engine mounts. I will probably go with the APR insert, since we are an APR dealer. The Wavetrac is epic!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
How's the gearbox holding up, how many miles with SMF and the Fluidampr? I just lost my 2nd gear synchro after 15k miles unfortunately. Hoping maybe some brass synchros from the 02M can fit and hold up better. I drive pretty gently and shifts are always buttery smooth. Was surprised when it went out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
wow, I thought the clutch was the only weak part of 6spd these days.

does the R have a different 6spd then the TDI?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe it's a different version of 02Q with it's AWD setup. The weak link is the DMF if you want more torque below 2k RPM. The R, GTI, and GTD all have limited torque to ~280ft-lbs because of it. Once you go SMF, you risk synchro damage but was really hoping the Fluidampr was going to cure that. I could also just be really unlucky and the synchro was going to fail anyway. Doubting that though. I think I recall the Audi TT-RS having a 6spd with gobs of low end torque so maybe there is an OEM solution out there.

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I believe it's a different version of 02Q with it's AWD setup. The weak link is the DMF if you want more torque below 2k RPM. The R, GTI, and GTD all have limited torque to ~280ft-lbs because of it. Once you go SMF, you risk synchro damage but was really hoping the Fluidampr was going to cure that. I could also just be really unlucky and the synchro was going to fail anyway. Doubting that though. I think I recall the Audi TT-RS having a 6spd with gobs of low end torque so maybe there is an OEM solution out there.

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread!

Not a derail as far as I'm concerned. In fact it's pretty valuable info for anyone considering a smf swap on the 02Q.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
SBC has performance clutches for the 02Q that use a LUK or Sachs DMF. They claim they've held up to 450 ft/lbs. The SMF setup with a 6 speed isn't optimal because of the noise. The Valeo SMF kit does seem to be reasonably quiet, for some reason, and SBC can modify that kit to Stage 2 Endurance specs.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Well then, for what it's worth..the synchro hubs for 1/2 are compatible in ETKA for 02Q and 02M so the synchro rings "should" work. The 3/4 hub in the 02Q is 02M311301F where the 02M is the same but ends in either C/D/or E. I'm leaning towards taking a chance and ordering the synchro ring sets and trying them out. Worst case I replace with what came in there. I have a suspected noisy 1-4 output shaft on decel, so need to go in and see if it can be shimmed.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SBC has performance clutches for the 02Q that use a LUK or Sachs DMF. They claim they've held up to 450 ft/lbs. The SMF setup with a 6 speed isn't optimal because of the noise. The Valeo SMF kit does seem to be reasonably quiet, for some reason, and SBC can modify that kit to Stage 2 Endurance specs.
I think what adjat84th is mentioning is how those 450ft/lb is being applied, 450 at 4-6K is much different to the gearbox than 300-375 at 1,800-2K and thats what gave up the ghost on his synchronous.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I don’t see how torque affects the synchronizers at all. They’re just used to bring the input shaft and clutch disc speed up or down to match what’s needed to slip it in the chosen gear, this is with clutch disengaged, thus no torque.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I believe the issues with synchros are, as noted above, from combustion events being transmitted to the transmission input shaft. That's why a fluidampr helps.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, the steel synchro rings are probably more durable than brass with the OE flywheel arrangement. But they are also more brittle and don't hold up well to the extra vibrations of a smf arrangement.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Brass synchros hold up with a SMF. My 02J is perfectly fine after 200k miles with an SMF, and the 02M does not have this issue either which has a fair bit of similar parts that just happen to fit in the 02Q. The extra torque below 2k only affects a DMF, which is why we go with SMFs. The trickle effect is real with the 02Q gearboxes!

Last edited:

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Just finished up installing 340MM front brakes, massive upgrade from the factory 288MM setup! We're headed back to Road Atlanta December 1-2 with NASA Southeast, hoping to shave a few more seconds off our lap time!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Pics or it didn't happen. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you need spacers for the wheels to clear those calipers? I have a 18Z kit on the way and running the same wheels.

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Did you need spacers for the wheels to clear those calipers? I have a 18Z kit on the way and running the same wheels.
No spacers required. The studs are 10mm extended, in case we need spacers in the future. Also forgot to mention, a custom catback has been installed. It is now 2.5" from the turbo back, no muffler or resonator.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tractor vids of cold idle to make everyone jealous.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Well now, those'll get things slowed down in a MAJOR way. [emoji1474][emoji1474]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk