www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old June 4th, 2012, 18:52   #1
seth1065
Veteran Member
Default 16 in or 17 wheels for my TDI which are better

Hey Folks wondering if the board can help me with wheels. MY 11 JSW will be out of warranty tomorrow ( 3 years 36,000 mile) after only 9 months ! Since I went from a Volvo XC wagon I figured I would get snows for the car so I bought a nice set of 17 in wheels from a fellow TDI member and plan on getting snow tires on those but since we did not get any snow after I bought them, they are still sitting in my basement. My car came with 16 wheels and the crappy OEM tires now have 36 k on them, so I was thinking on my 400 mile drive today, should I try to grab a end of season deal on snow tires and would it make more sense to put snows on the 16 or 17? I drive about 4000 a month and do not know if I am better with the smaller wheels for 8 months a year, I assume they will get me slightly better mileage than the 17 or should I have the 16 for snows and the 17 for the 8 months of non winter driving. The 17's Portos and the 16 are Bios if it makes a difference. Thanks
seth1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 19:03   #2
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 33mpg

The 16's will be better for snows. When it gets cold and the rubber gets hard, you have more cushion with 16" 55-profile than with the 17" 45-profile. 16's will also be narrower, which is better in the snow. Wider tires float more in the snow.

Looks-wise, I don't like the Biolines, and would reserve them for winter duty for that reason alone. I like the Portos better. The 17's would be the better choice for a summer tire handling-wise.

I have 17" Goals on my JSW, and got 16" TireRack aluminum rims and snow tires. I do see the mileage actually go UP a couple of mpg when I mount them in the fall, and DOWN a couple mpg in the spring when I go back to the larger 17" rims. But that soon is remedied when the temperatures warm up and the mileage improves. Normally snow tires have a bit more rolling resistance and you see mileage go down with them, but the lower rotational inertia of the smaller 16" rim improves the mpg's more than the snow tires drop them.
Old June 4th, 2012, 21:43   #3
RomanL
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '10 GOLF TDI

^ yup
put SNOWs on 16's
and make 17's your SUMMERs

RomanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 23:55   #4
Personne
Veteran Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanL View Post
^ yup, put SNOWs on 16's and make 17's your SUMMERs
That's what I did too and couldn't be happier. I chose the lightest "elegant" wheel for summer driving, thereby improving the suspended/unsuspended weight ratio for a truly superb handling performance.
Personne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 03:22   #5
Rob_MacCara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Not even close to the old TDI

I'm in the same boat - car came stock with 16" and I bought a nice set of aftermarket 17" 5 spoke with Dunlop 3D winters on them. As soon as either the stock all season's or winter tires wear out, I'll swap them around so I have the 17's for my summer tires. I like the clean 5 spoke look much better.
Old June 5th, 2012, 14:30   #6
Personne
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_MacCara View Post
I'm in the same boat - car came stock with 16" and I bought a nice set of aftermarket 17" 5 spoke with Dunlop 3D winters on them. As soon as either the stock all season's or winter tires wear out, I'll swap them around so I have the 17's for my summer tires. I like the clean 5 spoke look much better.
In my case the dealer credited the OEM 4 seasons in full and mounted the Dunlop WSP 3D that I brought him on the stock 16" wheels. He couldn't match the price that I got from you-know-who online so he played fair.

You need to know that winter tires are mandatory in QC and I would have risked a fine if I had driven it out of the lot like this (I picked it up on Jan 31).

There was simply no way for him to come even close to the deal I got. A few months later I bought a full set of pre-mounted 17" summer wheels from the same source and switched them myself in the driveway.

PS: I would have gone for 15 inchers winter boots but the GTI front brake calipers wouldn't let me do it. Bummer, as I still have 4 Michelin X-ice II in perfect condition in the shed from the Mazda6.
Personne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 16:57   #7
Rob_MacCara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Not even close to the old TDI

The 17" tire/rims that I bought were off Kijiji and not from a dealer. Got a deal too good to pass up. I figure I've got one more full winter on the Dunlops, then I'll put some nice summer tires on the 17's, and then winters on the 16's.
I wish that winter tires were the law here during snow season after getting stuck behind idiots spinning their tires trying to go up hills with bald all seasons on...
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:34   #8
veedubfreak
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 golf

19"s for summer, 19"s for winter, call in sick on the days the snow is too deep
veedubfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 16:48   #9
RomanL
Veteran Member

^^ you must call in sick quite often?

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:27   #10
eparker202
Veteran Member

16 - good handling, good 0-60, good ride quality, great price (tires), good weight, decent looks

17 - better handling, worse 0-60, worse ride quality, more expensive tires, heavier, better looks
Old June 8th, 2012, 13:42   #11
veedubfreak
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanL View Post
^^ you must call in sick quite often?
Actually, out of the 5 or so snows we got this season, 2 we got called off because there was over 2 feet dropped in a 12 hour period, and the other 3 I had no issues getting to work on the DWSs. One of those snows was a solid 6 inches of snow that I plowed the road myself because everyone was doing 10 miles an hour in the left lane and no one was in the right lane These tires have been amazing. Once they start getting up there in miles I might start having issues, but then again the same problem would be encountered in a snow tire that is 3-4 years old. The cool thing about the DWS is that it has a big S in the treads, once that is gone they are supposed to no longer be useful in the snow. I'll just end up keeping them for summer tires and buy a new set for the winter and start playing the switcheroo game. I just got tired of going from an awesome set of wheels during the warm months to an ugly set of wheels during the snow season.

Example of one of the snow storms I had to drive to work in

Last edited by veedubfreak; June 8th, 2012 at 13:45.
veedubfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 14:03   #12
RomanL
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubfreak View Post
Actually, out of the 5 or so snows we got this season, 2 we got called off because there was over 2 feet dropped in a 12 hour period,
Example of one of the snow storms I had to drive to work in

was one of those around Dec 22nd i love CO / Denver/ Frisco, and want to move there soon.
i was there . on my 15's General Altimax Arctic's. dropped g/f at DIA and back up to the mountains i went...

Old June 8th, 2012, 18:07   #13
mr.shooty
Veteran Member

Stick with the 17" and Continental DWS - had these tires on my 400hp Audi S4, you can't get a better all round tire imho
mr.shooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 09:14   #14
Dezender

Fuel Economy: Sexy

Interesting that VW puts 17" wheels on the premium package TDIs and they are rated for the same mileage... do people who buy the premium setup complain that their mileage is worse because of the wider 225/45R17H 17" all-season tires?
Dezender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 09:54   #15
BrShootr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MKVI JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezender View Post
Interesting that VW puts 17" wheels on the premium package TDIs and they are rated for the same mileage... do people who buy the premium setup complain that their mileage is worse because of the wider 225/45R17H 17" all-season tires?
Seeing as the cars are rated for 42mpg on the highway and you easily get over 50mpg, the people with the premium package don't complain about their mileage. I used to get between 50 and 54mpg on my way home from work with 17" portos in my old Golf. Why would I complain about a 8 to 12 mpg increase from EPA ratings?

2013 Candy White JSW 6MT. Tinted windows, Classix 17" wheels. More mods to come....
BrShootr is offline   Reply With Quote