I need opinions

GigglesTDI

TDI
'10 Jetta TDI
okay so I have a MkV jetta tdi and my question does anyone have any reccomendations for car starters or where to get them? Price? I'm looking into them because it would be easier for me

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
You've asked for comments...so here goes.

I understand the current trend for a warm cabin on cold days. I like the idea, too, and would love to find a solution.

Bad news: Car starter = very bad idea. Internal combustion engines at start-up, possibly the most critical moment, should be monitored for anomolies. ICEs should operate under load, not idle, for the greatest long-term benefit and efficiency. ICE engines, especially diesels, warm up much more quickly when placed under gentle load during the warm-up process. These are facts, not opinions.

Good news: Your VW has a brilliant solution! Right after starting your engine, if you turn your heat to MAX, and turn on the fan, a very strong auxiliary heater (elec. grid...like a hair-dryer) will click on, and in a matter of seconds, you'll have warm air coming from the vents. Leave it on for a few minutes, and the heat is quite intense, and becomes unnecessary as the coolant reaches operating temp and the regular heater takes over.

I'm sure others will weigh in. Hope this helps.

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
Do the 2010s have the aux heater?
An electric coolant heater works wonders. I love remote starters as much as the next cold guy but for the first time I've installed a coolant heater on a timer in the garage and the results are fantastic.
A frost heater or something as simple as this: (which is what I purchased and installed)

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-13100-Al...8X9K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1321273532&sr=8-7

will do wonders. This, possibly in conjuction with a remote start, will give you a toasty car first thing in the morning. Give your car a start a minute or two prior to going outside and you'll be all set.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I forgot to add about the Frostheater! Both my TDIs have them, and the difference is amazing. Absolutely no need for a remote starter, as even 10 minutes (with a diesel) at idle will return very little benefit in warm-up time...not to mention again the added wear/risks involved.

I have not heard nor read that the aux heaters have been eliminated.