Best Tire for Fuel Economy

PunchBug

TDI
Beetle, 2000, silver
Hello all you sages out there. Just a quick question: I'll be coming up on new tires sometime soon, and wonder what you all have learned about what works best for good fuel economy. Are there good tires that do not compromise performance? Or is it pretty much a trade off? Also, as I live in the snow belt, they would have to be capable of tackling some bad weather. (I haven't bit for snow tires yet.) Let me know what you're riding on. Thanks
PunchBug

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
The best tire for fuel economy is hard rubber, sans air. Of course the traction is terrible and the ride is harsh. Michelin Energy would be a nice tire for you to consider. There is also the consideration of false economy when one overinflates the tire and it wears out in the middle and leaves tread on the outside.

Best to inflate the tire to contact the road all the way across the tread. Makes tires last longer and gives better traction for safty.

[ August 18, 2001: Message edited by: Driv'n EZ ]

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
i second Drivn EZ's opinion and add that the Michelin Energy tires are also the best choice when it comes to overall economy, not just fuel economy. They wear like iron when properly cared for and handle reasonably.
My OEM's are 35K/1YR old this month and appear to be about half worn.

make certain you use metric air

PunchBug

TDI
Beetle, 2000, silver
As a matter of fact, Michelin Energy tires are what came standard on my Beetle. Guess I shouldn't fix what isn't broken, huh?
And thanks for the tip about metric air, but is it really worth driving to Canda or Mexico to get it?

Pressurized

TDI
Golf, 2000, Silver
Michelin Energy's are very good tires. However they are somewhat lacking on ice and snow. Especially with the low end torque of the diesel they will spin easily. The Golf's, etc are in general mediocre snow cars, the ground clearance is just too low.

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
Any tire that is optimal in snow and ice will probably not deliver great long term performance or economy on dry roads.
And vice versa.

This is what Ambrose Bierce called a compromise, "a solution that satisfies neither party"

I'd forget about fuel economy during the nasty winter months and concentrate on maintaining traction and control. One fender bender or worse can wipe oout any perceived fuel savings from the dry months.

Looks like you might have to consider the extra set of winter wheels/tires, if you can afford it and have a place to store them.

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: gardentender ]

PunchBug

TDI
Beetle, 2000, silver
I agree about that compromise. Did you read in Car and Driver about their Audi TT? Great performance in the wet and dry (of course, it's built on Beetle bones!) but like a pig on ice. Even with the quattro!
One of these days I'll have to get snow tires.