Welcome Audi TDI members

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Just a quick welcome to our Audi TDI members. Now that Audi TDIs have finally been in Canada and the US for a while we have added a section dedicated specifically to the Audi A3 and Q7 models. I realize that many of the engine items are the same as the VWs, but for the first time there are a couple of place to discuss the Audi platform specifics.

Enjoy.
Fred

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Due to the fact there isn't a lot of traffic in the Q7 section and that the Q5s are arriving I've renamed this section the Audi SUV section to include both Q7s and Q5s in one location. Yes I know they are not that similar.;)

ph20k9

TDI
Audi q7
Hesitation . upon accellerating from a stopped position.

Not sure this is the correct venue, but please let me know if not.
Recently purchased Q7 TDI - LOVE it !! Having a hesitation upon accelerating from a stop, trying to merge into traffic or turning across traffic and the Q7 hesitates. It's as if it is about to stall. Not every time, but is a little on the dangerous side. Dealer cannot replicate problem so not sure where to go from here. The RPMs sits at 1000, no lites on dashboard, no noises; then in 2 or 3 seconds it accelerates, no 'revving' of the engine, just a normal acceleration.

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
Not sure this is the correct venue, but please let me know if not.
Recently purchased Q7 TDI - LOVE it !! Having a hesitation upon accelerating from a stop, trying to merge into traffic or turning across traffic and the Q7 hesitates. It's as if it is about to stall. Not every time, but is a little on the dangerous side. Dealer cannot replicate problem so not sure where to go from here. The RPMs sits at 1000, no lites on dashboard, no noises; then in 2 or 3 seconds it accelerates, no 'revving' of the engine, just a normal acceleration.

Haven't had that issue, but we are talking about different cars here. How frequent does this happen?

empoweryourhealth

TDI
Audi Q5
Anyone with a 2015 Q5 TDI that has over 100k with experience on maintenance as these age-- considering one with 97k but I don't do any car maintenance myself. I will be reliant on a garage or dealership to repair. I am wondering if this is a bad idea to purchase used??

trevorl

TDI
Q5 2014
Anyone with a 2015 Q5 TDI that has over 100k with experience on maintenance as these age-- considering one with 97k but I don't do any car maintenance myself. I will be reliant on a garage or dealership to repair. I am wondering if this is a bad idea to purchase used??
Mine (2014 q5 3litre TDI) has just ticked over 200k (km) in Australia - no issues at all, brake disk are due to be replaced and just started getting a coolant leak around the oil cooler.

mulepic

TDI
Audi Q7
Just joined and took delivery 2 weeks ago of a 2014 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige with air suspension. We got this car b/c we want to tow our 6k lbs. travel trailer. I did the first test last week from the Phoenix valley up to Payson. It did just fine, 65mph the whole way and 60 on that last 10m hill into town. 9.6mpg on the way up and 11.5 round trip. But it was only 75 degrees not the 110 like July... so the jury is still out.

The air suspension is really the star of the show. We've gone through several tow vehicles: 7.2L Excursion, 6.2L H2, 2019 Expedition Platinum, and now the Q7. The Q7 is more stable than the Expedition and about as stable as the H2. The Q7 pulls stronger than the H2 and Excursion.

I used the torque app to monitor temperatures and everything behaved nicely. But I could not monitor the Tranny temp (even though the app says it has it). The tranny temp and coolant temp were reading in lock-step so that's why I think it wasn't truly the tranny temp.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Just joined and took delivery 2 weeks ago of a 2014 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige with air suspension. We got this car b/c we want to tow our 6k lbs. travel trailer. I did the first test last week from the Phoenix valley up to Payson. It did just fine, 65mph the whole way and 60 on that last 10m hill into town. 9.6mpg on the way up and 11.5 round trip. But it was only 75 degrees not the 110 like July... so the jury is still out.

The air suspension is really the star of the show. We've gone through several tow vehicles: 7.2L Excursion, 6.2L H2, 2019 Expedition Platinum, and now the Q7. The Q7 is more stable than the Expedition and about as stable as the H2. The Q7 pulls stronger than the H2 and Excursion.

I used the torque app to monitor temperatures and everything behaved nicely. But I could not monitor the Tranny temp (even though the app says it has it). The tranny temp and coolant temp were reading in lock-step so that's why I think it wasn't truly the tranny temp.

I'm surprised you don't get better mileage. I tow a similar camper with my Nissan Frontier. Goes from 17MPG to 10MPG towing it. I looked at the Touareg and Q5 TDIs when I was shopping (but couldn't justify the price. I got the Nissan new for $26k ($31 sticker) and the VW was $70k! Q5 too small... I'm happy with everything but the fuel mileage and turning radius.

mulepic

TDI
Audi Q7
A Q5 TDI would not be able to tow our trailer safely, our trailer is 2k lbs over its capacity. Also the Q7 TDI is about 1k lbs heavier than the frontier, it's only couple hundred lbs lighter than the Expedition we had. Maybe that's why the MPG is not much diff. than your frontier. Also I noticed a huge difference when we upsized our trailer from 4k to 6k lbs.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A Q5 TDI would not be able to tow our trailer safely, our trailer is 2k lbs over its capacity. Also the Q7 TDI is about 1k lbs heavier than the frontier, it's only couple hundred lbs lighter than the Expedition we had. Maybe that's why the MPG is not much diff. than your frontier. Also I noticed a huge difference when we upsized our trailer from 4k to 6k lbs.
We could tell immediately tell that the Q5 wasn't up to towing what we wanted. The Touareg would have been fine along with the Q7. The scandal hit shortly afterwards anyways. I'm still surprised that the MPGs are so low. What's it get not towing?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
@mulepic
Your Q7 should do better with that size\shape trailer if it's in good running order.
As a comparison, my Egg got 13mpg with my old "square" trailer which would seem similar in size to what you're pulling above, and now gets 16mpg with new "aero" trailer.

mulepic

TDI
Audi Q7
I expect 13mpg on flat ground. My test started at 1500' of elevation and climbed to 5000' in 60 miles, there are some steep hills. 11.5mpg round trip is the best we've gotten w/ any tow vehicle we've had. I don't have a good non-towing estimate b/c we've not had it long enough.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It has the diesel emissions fix applied. I wasn't aware Audi had the option to not fix Q7 TDI's, please explain?
Anyone could refuse to have the modifications done, you just didn't get the money or the extended warranty.

GP_RZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
Here is our 16 Q5 TDI, wife loves it but I have been doing alot of driving in it as she has been working from home for past 2 years. Bought it with 29,000km now has 116,000km, It was sold new in 2018 and previous owner bought extended service up to 145,000km and installed drone mobile so can remote start from phone or key fob (fob limited distance). I wish I started with TDI's sooner.

under dog

TDI
2015 Audi A8L
Hello everyone, kinda new, kinda not. I joined quite a bit ago when I had my 13 jetta TDI. I've had my 15 A8L TDI couple years now. Been excellent. It's our family hauler, when we're not dragging the 5th wheel. We've taken her all over the west coast. Anyway, here to learn more and ask questions. I plan on doing some weight savings pretty soon.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been eyeballing A8s TDI for a long time..... just can't do it.... the majority of the time I'm solo in a vehicle, so its such a waste....

under dog

TDI
2015 Audi A8L
I've been eyeballing A8s TDI for a long time..... just can't do it.... the majority of the time I'm solo in a vehicle, so its such a waste....
Ya I can understand that. Im 6' 6" and currently have two kids still at home.

For me, its more then just the size of the vehicle, its about the drive and interior comfort, both of which the A8L excells in. With the sport rear diff, it doesn't drive like a land barge.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How has it been as far as maintenance costs? Especially with being a TDI and IF you depend on a shop\dealer for service.
Not sure what you plan to save weight on.... it's already got weight reduction from the factory.

under dog

TDI
2015 Audi A8L
How has it been as far as maintenance costs? Especially with being a TDI and IF you depend on a shop\dealer for service.
Not sure what you plan to save weight on.... it's already got weight reduction from the factory.
I was a former Audi tech. So I do all my own work. Although, I did have an egr cooler code, I let the dealer fix that.

By weight savings, I meant do a DPF delete. On the powerstroke forums its become a no no to mention DPF delete and such. Guys refer to it as a weight savings.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gotcha.... why the diet desire? I've got over 120k on my similar CNRB in the egg and I'm nowhere close to filling the DPF capacity....