1Z TDI upgradeable with (D5252T)2.5 TDI parts

mahko

TDI
Golf 3 CL TDI
Hello guys, i'm new to forum and not sure if i'm posting this in right place so i apologize in advance. Oh yes, and my english is sometimes interesting!:D

So, i have been looking around on internet for a week now if my 1Z TDI (66kw) is upgreadable with parts from Volvo 850 2.5 TDI engine (code: D5252T (AEL in audi?))

I was thinking about switching injectors, turbo and intercooler (pump maybe if possible) from 2.5 to my 1z and then do straight pipe + remap. I have a chance to get whole donor car...

Problem is i cant find anything on internet about 2.5 tdi from volvo. Only things i found so far is that injectors are .216 and that turbo is same as mine on 1z (hope not)...

Is it possible to use more parts like pump or maf or even ECU?? If it is will i get some more power??

I have a lot more to ask because the more i read about it the more confused i get!

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Not much stuff to swap over apart from nozzles, it’s just not worth getting whole car just for a set of injectors !

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
If you already have the AEL engine on-hand then yes, you can move certain parts over, like the injectors and turbo, but not the injection pump. Intercooler - hard to say because they were for completely different applications. None of these components (except the injectors) will represent a huge performance upgrade compared to newer versions that came in later models and that are available in the aftermarket.

216 injectors, GT2052 wastegate turbo and re-map should be good for 145 HP

Last edited:

mahko

TDI
Golf 3 CL TDI
Not much stuff to swap over apart from nozzles, it’s just not worth getting whole car just for a set of injectors !
Yeah, but i can get it dirt cheap, swap parts and sell the rest...

If you already have the AEL engine on-hand then yes, you can move certain parts over, like the injectors and turbo, but not the injection pump. Intercooler - hard to say because they were for completely different applications. None of these components (except the injectors) will represent a huge performance upgrade compared to newer versions that came in later models and that are available in the aftermarket.

216 injectors, GT2052 wastegate turbo and re-map should be good for 145 HP
So AEL/D5252T has GT2052 turbo? Is it better than my stock 1z turbo? Intercooler setup is very different from MK3, but it's possible. Sh*t i was rly hoping that i will get better turbo and other components...

I'm kinda lost right now on what to do to get more power and that 2.5 was a "light in the dark"....

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Most AEL engines had an ancient k14 turbo... I would not go to the trouble of fitting that on a 1.9 tdi- it’s laggy as it is on its native application ! Best swap a turbo from this century !