TDI clutch replacement in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana...

GermanDude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I drive a 2006 Jetta TDI, my clutch just went out and I will have the replacement clutch (Sachs SMF), i need someone to install it, I'm willing to tow it pretty much anywhere around Alabama (within 5 hours of tuscaloosa).

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Krout is in J'ville FL and Keith is in Tampa FL. You'd have to check with them to see if they're geared up for such a repair. They'd both be good references for you.

GermanDude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I talked to Krout (I pretty much called every person in the trusted mechanic thread) he couldnt do it this week.

There was not a number for Keith, but I will send him a PM.

Thank you

GermanDude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
BTW. this has got to be one of the best forums I have ever experienced.
Not only are people helpful on the board they are also extremely helpful when calling them. I mean, I even called some mechanics on their personal cell phone and they tried everything to help me.

I called every single trusted mechanic and every single one was willing to do whatever to help me, they might not have been able to help me physically but they advised me and recommended other great mechanics. One of them even talked to me for over an hour in order to make sure that I completely understand why I should not go with another DMF. Another one was willing to replace my clutch, but could not do it due to his work schedule, he is now helping me getting the clutch and finding someone else to do the job.

It's unbelievable how quick people responded and how far they are willing to go to help a stranger. No matter how dumb my question was I never got a smartass answer.

I wish I could give some of it back, but my knowledge about TDI's is very limited, so I hope some people read this. Keep up the good work.

sullyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Germandude, i know exactly what you mean. I hooked up with some guys about an hour from me, and got loads of help. Replaced my timing belt, all hoses, fixed my fans, did egr delete, cleaned intake, and all kinda stuff.

They are a great group of guys. I worked hard, they worked hard and we had a good time.

I even went and helped on other guys cars, to kinda return the favor and enjoyed every second of it.

My clutch recently went out, and sent some pm's to them but i guess schedules where to too tight or something, they where not interested in helping, who knows, i hope no one was mad. I feel like i gave back at least what i was given anyway.

Mine is in the shop now getting a clutch, not the one I wanted but at least its a Sachs and not advance auto part brand, will still have a DMF and not SMF, but oh well, dad's paying and not me....:cool:

Like you said everyone here is great and will help any way they can, and like you said its the best forum i have ever been a part of.... Just nothing else like it.

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Mikey at Barry Palmer Auto is a good place to get VW work done. He has worked on just about every VW I have ever had at one time or another. I don't know if Marietta, Ga is within your towing range or not from Tuscaloosa. Here's his number:
770-425-2549. Quality work, reasonable prices.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
I'm on the other side of the state from you, German Dude, but I have used Hutchinson Automotive in Birmingham and have nothing but good things to say about them. I have a few TDi-driving friends in the B'ham area, and we all swear by these guys.

I don't know if they'll let you bring your own parts. They DO know TDi's and will not look at you funny when you tell them you have one. I would call and talk to the owner, Jimmy Hutchinson, and see what he says.

Good Luck,

GermanDude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
i used hutchinson for my timing belt, and I agree they are really good, they told me they charge close to 2000 dollars for a clutch replacement, and I did not get any other details, and no they don't let you bring in your own parts.

I towed my car to MF automotive in knoxville tennessee, they are also trusted mechanics

they charge around 1100 to replace the DMF clutch with a sachs g60/vr6 SMF. Exactly what i wanted.

Last edited:

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
'oilhammer' in St. Louis is only 20 miles (plus or minus a few) further
than Jacksonville, FL.