Android auto on a 2015 S

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
What's the possibilities of upgrading the head unit with a later oem head unit with Android auto?

I'm digging it.

Like to keep factory steering wheel controls and such.

Obviously I have vcds like any vw fan, so if it's just nuts and bolts and some coding, I'm interested in price and options

Thanks.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gqboy

TDI
2015 Golf
I'd like to know too. I have the MIB1 and would like to change to the MIB2 or another unit.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I've done it on my 2015 GSW. it's not that bad in terms of getting the parts in the car. You'll have to remove component protection (CP) and add AppConnect, which I did remotely through a contact in Europe. It cost me around $700 for the parts and for the labor to remove CP and add the appconnect key. I was lucky because I was able to source a lot of the parts cheap.

In my opinion, it was well worth the upgrade since using AA is a lot safer when driving. Feel free to ask. any questions.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Oh yeah! Awesome.

Really I'm just scared of popping apart dash stuff. Seems so brittle.

Yeah, if yiy can compile a parts list for our cars, Im really interested in this.

Are all features retained? BT, mic, wheel buttons, etc?

A thread of your build and progress?

And an explanation of the protection. I'm still fuzzy on that.

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
I'd also like to give this a go if it's not too crazy expensive or difficult. Does having the Fender audio on your car already complicate this task further or make it easier?

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh yeah! Awesome.

Yeah, if yiy can compile a parts list for our cars, Im really interested in this.

I'll post the forums I used and I can give the contact I used via Skype (he had to remote connect). You pretty much have everything but lose the VW voice commands but that doesn't matter that much since u get Google assistant. The guy that remote connects will remove CP and apply the app Connect key for a fee. I'll compile the stuff later tonight when I get the chance.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd also like to give this a go if it's not too crazy expensive or difficult. Does having the Fender audio on your car already complicate this task further or make it easier?
You have to replace the Amplifier under your seat with MIB 2. so you're pretty much replacing the screen, MIB2 system. in your glove compartment and the Fender amp under the driver's seat. you'll also need to replace the mmi cable output to USB in the center dash under the screen and funnel it to your glove compartment.

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
Oh yeah! Awesome.

My value edition TDI came with the most basic radio which didnt even have bluetooth hands free. I just went on crutchfield and ordered a sony car play radio and it was installed in under an hour...probably the easiest radio install ive ever done. I guess the process may or may not be the same on the 2015 and newer cars.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
After some reading, a serious concern I have is possibly purchasing stolen equipment 2nd hand, and having it red flagged that is not able to be activated against my own VIN.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I went the other way with a new RNS315 with nav and backup camera instead of my basic system. I have a 10" tablet with VCDS on it (cable too) and can hot spot it to my phone. Works for me and a much cheaper alternative (about $250). Keeps everything stock and working too.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
After some reading, a serious concern I have is possibly purchasing stolen equipment 2nd hand, and having it red flagged that is not able to be activated against my own VIN.

That's why there's component protection. Once you remove component protection, I believe it ties to items to your cars Vin.
it's all a matter of preference but I feel that it's extremely worth it since Im going to keep it for the long haul and everything is OEM unlike the third party systems or having a external tablet or phone.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Absolutely. I want the oem look.

My mom bought a newer tig, and her screen looks the same but the button layout is different.

Looks like I need a different bezel and dash trim?

And somehow snake a USB outlet somewhere under to hook into. Do I need to do anything with the stuff in the glove box? That's where my CD player is. Her tig has a CD slot just above the screen.

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
There's a seller on Ebay selling the glove-box Mib 2 unit (3Q0035844) for 30 bucks shipped right now. Guess I'll just keep looking for ebay/salvage bargains and try to collect all the pieces as cheaply as possible :D

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
The addendum from the first post in the thread linked above caught my attention: "Since writing I have talked to someone who purchased salvage headunit (around $130) and then sent to APG for modification (around $500). This would give you all your FeC's and significantly easier as it is fairly much plug and play with Vagcom changes. Also cost savings as they can modify unit to work with MIB1 amplifier."

I prefer this route (where I pay $500 and don't need to upgrade the MIB1 amp). How do I get in touch with APG? And who's APG?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I don't have an amp or fender bender audio stuff. So my setup is still quite simple I'd imagine.

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
The addendum from the first post in the thread linked above caught my attention: "Since writing I have talked to someone who purchased salvage headunit (around $130) and then sent to APG for modification (around $500). This would give you all your FeC's and significantly easier as it is fairly much plug and play with Vagcom changes. Also cost savings as they can modify unit to work with MIB1 amplifier."
I prefer this route (where I pay $500 and don't need to upgrade the MIB1 amp). How do I get in touch with APG? And who's APG?
I suspect it is these guys:
https://www.facebook.com/autoprogramgroup/

It appears they're in Poland. If you reach out to them let us know what you find out.

gqboy

TDI
2015 Golf

Has anyone tried this method and can provide a review or feedback? This route sounds like the least amount of effort.

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
I have been chatting with them (APG) and I'm probably going to pull the trigger and send them a salvage Mib2 head unit to mod. The price is 500 euro and turnaround is about a week... so not cheap but still easier and cheaper than replacing the amp and fooling around with component protection and loading FeC and App-connect. They did mention a couple of things: Online Traffic and Sirius does not currently work on their modified unit. Also, you have do one byte of coding with VCDS to get the sound working correctly. There's a days delay with each communication with them, and I'm still waiting on my head unit that I'll ship to them to show up from ebay, but I'll update progress once I get the ball rolling.

gqboy

TDI
2015 Golf
I have been chatting with them (APG) and I'm probably going to pull the trigger and send them a salvage Mib2 head unit to mod. The price is 500 euro and turnaround is about a week... so not cheap but still easier and cheaper than replacing the amp and fooling around with component protection and loading FeC and App-connect. They did mention a couple of things: Online Traffic and Sirius does not currently work on their modified unit. Also, you have do one byte of coding with VCDS to get the sound working correctly. There's a days delay with each communication with them, and I'm still waiting on my head unit that I'll ship to them to show up from ebay, but I'll update progress once I get the ball rolling.
Are they able to mod an existing Mib1 head unit? Or does it have to be an Mib2?

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
It must be an Mib2 unit. It looks like APG also sell new mib2 units that are activated and have carplay and sirius working but they're about 1k euro. Also, they mentioned that they cannot activate Delphi units.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
OK. Now I'm confused.

I thought mib2 comes with app connect, which includes Android auto?

Where does the amp fit into this swap headache? I don't think I have an amp.

And where does the stuff in my glove box go?

Long story short, I'm confused of what it have, what I need to buy, and what I need to replace with, and what software needs to be modded on the unit and with vcds.

And what is all this about? Is car play the same as android auto? Or is android auto better?
https://www.amazon.com/Carplay-Mirrorlink-Bluetooth-SD-Card-Touchscreen/dp/B076V4FZFB

Sirius radio I don't care. Really don't. It was free for a year when I bought my car. Never ever turned it on once. Bluetooth and pandora.

Last edited:

dj7373

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (5 speed), 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
I'm also interested in this.
I have a '15 SE with Fender and would like to get the bigger screen with android auto.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
OK. Now I'm confused.

I thought mib2 comes with app connect, which includes Android auto?

Where does the amp fit into this swap headache? I don't think I have an amp.

And where does the stuff in my glove box go?

Long story short, I'm confused of what it have, what I need to buy, and what I need to replace with, and what software needs to be modded on the unit and with vcds.

And what is all this about? Is car play the same as android auto? Or is android auto better?
https://www.amazon.com/Carplay-Mirrorlink-Bluetooth-SD-Card-Touchscreen/dp/B076V4FZFB

Sirius radio I don't care. Really don't. It was free for a year when I bought my car. Never ever turned it on once. Bluetooth and pandora.

You don't have the Fender audio system if you have the S trim, so you don't need to replace the amp (or modify it). You only need the head unit, the display and the USB module. I have the Fender, so I need either the MIB2 compatible amp, or to modify the MIB2 head unit to work with the MIB1 amp (in which case I lose Sirius XM).

The display unit you linked to doesn't work for Golf 7.

Last edited:

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to help everyone out, once I have time on the computer (prob this weekend) I'll put together a list of parts I got to do it all myself. I'll also give you the European contact who removes component protection and adds the app connect key remotely. I've had people try it at the dealerships, but the dealerships didn't know what they were doing most of the time. If you source your own parts through salvage parts and what not, the total cost will probably be around $800-$1000 to get everything fully functional.

Last edited:

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Will the display unit with Nav work as well? I mean 5GM919605, will it work with the MIB2 3Q0035844 headunit? Probably the Nav function won't, but will everything else?

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
Looking forward to it, sportwagen3. Dropped off the car at the dealer this morning for a DEF injector replacement and they said no-way no-how to removing CP on anything I didn't buy from them :/