Former "fixers" who are now "buybackers", to swap for "new" '16 TDI ?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Former "fixers" who are now "buybackers", to swap for "new" '16 TDI ?

I am, for one, tempted. Been waiting for fix on my Gen2. 100K+ miles at this point. I indicated me being a buybacker waaaay back then, but never committed to anything, playing a waiting game.

Effectively, if I can score a "new" '16 6MT Passat for same amt that I was offered for buyback, I am seriously tempted. Wty reset is what I am after most of all, peace of mind etc. That and the free new DPF/NoxCat in PhaseII of the fix.

There wont be much of that "new car smell", thats for sure :)

If math is right, and I do it, I will be in new car, worry free for a long while.
If I dont do it, I will collect the fix amt, will get wty boost that in my case should be good for 2Y+.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I am, for one, tempted. Been waiting for fix on my Gen2. 100K+ miles at this point. I indicated me being a buybacker waaaay back then, but never committed to anything, playing a waiting game.
Effectively, if I can score a "new" '16 6MT Passat for same amt that I was offered for buyback, I am seriously tempted. Wty reset is what I am after most of all, peace of mind etc. That and the free new DPF/NoxCat in PhaseII of the fix.
There wont be much of that "new car smell", thats for sure :)
If math is right, and I do it, I will be in new car, worry free for a long while.
If I dont do it, I will collect the fix amt, will get wty boost that in my case should be good for 2Y+.
No such thing as a 2016 tdi in the USA.
You mean 2015?
If so it is very impressive engine.
The fix changes are so subtle, I doubt you could routinely​ tell which cars were "fixed" and which were not.
Check to see what cars are available, I have been hearing that most if the higher trim cars and generally ALL the MT cars are spoken for, they were kind of RARE BEFORE.

Now if you talking about buying a 2016 gasses....That has been talked about lots.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
EA288, I guess '15 they are :)

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
If you can find one you like, for a price you like, IMO it would be great.
The engines tq band is actually a bit more broad, and flat, so on the DSG equipped cars, the Cruse rpms were dropped down a bit, so it makes them an even better highway cruiser IMO. Can't say enough good stuff about this "next gen" motor. The one negative is if you look at it, it has a scary number of hoses for all the cooling systems, and even the water to air intercooler that gets rid of the intercooler icing issue. This does make me worry about LONGER TERM costs, but with a 150,000+ mile warranty, much if the the risks are negated​.
Heck, if you can just move sideways, into a "new" 2015 for not much more than the cost of a set of tires , IMO you will be coming out ahead.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Just talked to the dealer I get parts from who told me VW recently took the cars they had back<(2015s)> stating that once they get final approval to start selling them again they will be delivered back ready to immediately go on sale...

The dealer is expecting a variety of cars(Jetta, Golf, NB & Passat TDIs) based on what they had on the lot or what was already on the list coming to them before the stop sale....

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I am 72% sure now. If they get the '15 back and start selling them, 30% off MSRP, EA288 6MT is what I will get and then buyback my '12 Gen2.

Forgoing the fix payment of ~$7K, in exchange for what will be a worry free car for next 7 years (150K wty, plus free new DPF/NOxCat) ... worth it to me ... I think ...

Of course, would be nice to know the fix terms for Gen2 before acting. If, like I feel, they will offer 48K wty boost AND free new DPF/NOxCat before 150K (like for Gen3), might reconsider :)