Would a CJAA engine have an oil catch can?

CarlosF

TDI
2010 GSW TDI DSG Blue Graphite
The last mechanic to see the underside of my engine told my wife that the engine has an oil catch can (he didn't call it that but it must have been what he meant). Would a CJAA engine have an oil catch can? I read that it could if the EGR had been bipassed but that isn't the case with my engine. Thoughts?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No TDI engine, nor ANY VAG diesel ever sold here, has such a device from the factory.

So something was either added (uselessly) to your car, or the guy has no idea what he is looking at or talking about.

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
@oilhammer could you please explain why it would not be necessary to have an oil catch can on a TDI? I recall my 04 BEW had a TON of oil come out of the PCV and coat the entire intake with oil. I feel like it'd be better to setup a catch-can versus buy an expensive valve cover and wait for it to fail like the original did. I've never seen a turbo car NOT have oil in the intake after it hits like 60k miles. My wife's MINI is was so gummed up, it was losing performance on account of the buildup on the intake valves.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is not necessary, it is not hurting anything. I little oil mist through the charge air tract is completely harmless. If it was an issue, we'd be seeing all sorts of problems related to it.

VAG turbo diesels (and everything else, for that matter) have been using this setup in one way or another since the early 1970s when draft tubes went away.

Solution in search of a problem, leave it be.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Brian, you know what this doofus is talking about right?

He thinks the DPF is a catch can. I know it! I'll bet ya a loonie!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH give us the name of the mechanic please.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I'm sure the OH would agree, the internals of a TDI are an oily mess which is completly normal. If you want to scare yourself, remove the oil fill while the engine is running and be greeted by a fog of oil vapor.

That whole catch can thing is folks fixing a problem that does not exist. If you actually had serious blowby issues, well it's time to rebuild the engine.

Sounds ike the "mechanic" has no clue.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I bet he was confusing the fuel filter houseing, as no small 2.0L car could possibly have a fuel filter that massive.

Take a look at the CCV system that deposits that mess back into the crank case, VW eginerds tossed the KISS philosophy out long long long ago when they tried to make them "clean".

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Please don't claim that oil catch cans fix a problem which doesn't exist.
They in fact are useful. They prevent oil entering the intake tract. The oil mixes with EGR soot and forms deposits on intake manifold and intake valves.

You need to see a really clean manufold/head of an engine with oil catch can to really understand tha the problem in fact exists. I fyou eliminate oil, the buildup almost doesn't occur. The soot remains dry and gelts blown away by the boost pressure.

Regarding the VW valve covers with oil separation capabilities. They suck. Seriously. I've seen many engines having positive crank case pressure because the breather is simply failed. In addition to that, the oil separation isn't very effective on it.

One recent thread, as an example: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478494
My city-driven CR-TDI manifold looks similar too.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well thanks for that. If I can learn something I did not know before well, I'm all ears. I'll get back with you. After all, my opinion is nothing more than that, an opinion.

My GDs 2007 Hyundai has a problem were it drinks a quart and a half of oil in less than 400 t0 500 miles and I'm thinking CCV or EGR system. Leaks absolutle zero except that someties on start up it puts out a crap ton of smoke.

Last edited:

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Yea, I know that my 2004 TDI consumed lots of oil via the CCV, as does my wife's mini, and my supercharged boat with a 1500 Rotax. Seems like forced induction generates a lot of blow-by. I even made a youtube video of my boat chugging out smoke at 4000rpm. It's pretty gnarly. I installed a catch can on it that I modified and it catches a ton of crap throughout the season. I know the Mini Coopers have a huge problem with oil baking onto the valves. That car is getting a catch can just as soon as I can find fittings large enough to accommodate the hoses. As for the TDI, I'm concerned it may be subject to the same problem. I don't care about it consuming oil, but I bet it generates extra ash that goes into the DPF, and that oil is also probably coating the valves. Gummed up valves = less power/efficiency. The CJAA looks like it has a pretty complicated CCV system, but I wonder how well it works or how often it fails. Thanks for that picture @740GLE, I will be taking off the CCV feed hose and seeing if it's oily. If it is, I'll probably be ordering a catch can for it as well. I've seen first hand from my BEW what oil and EGR soot do to an intake mani.
@OlRattler , your oil consumption might be coming from the valve stem seals. That's what the Mini tech's say causes a ton of oil consumption on those small BMW engines. Hyundai may be the same.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please don't claim that oil catch cans fix a problem which doesn't exist.
They in fact are useful. They prevent oil entering the intake tract. The oil mixes with EGR soot and forms deposits on intake manifold and intake valves.

You need to see a really clean manufold/head of an engine with oil catch can to really understand tha the problem in fact exists. I fyou eliminate oil, the buildup almost doesn't occur. The soot remains dry and gelts blown away by the boost pressure.

Regarding the VW valve covers with oil separation capabilities. They suck. Seriously. I've seen many engines having positive crank case pressure because the breather is simply failed. In addition to that, the oil separation isn't very effective on it.

One recent thread, as an example: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478494
My city-driven CR-TDI manifold looks similar too.
I'm not knocking a catch can and where they can be used, I am knocking that one isn't needed on the North American CR (from my limited experience).

While I have no experience with operating a BRM such that you linked too, I can state that in 140K miles on my '10 CJAA I never had any issues with intake clogging, but I also never opened up my intake, and it was never a city only car, i guess those are pretty big caviats.

One thing to note is that's a completely different engine/family in terms of ummm absolutely everything.

Now that I have a Gen3 TSI I am more interested in what I can do to prevent a 40K intake cleaning, fingers crossed on the Italian tune ups.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd like to install a catch can for my TDI. But... I have the awful aftermerketish look of it (1) and ~$400-500 is waaaaay to expensive for me (2). So I live without one. If it'd cost ~$40-50, then why not.

Oh, and I doubt Italian tune-ups will solve the intake clogging on the TSI.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
shhh don't tell me that, i need excuse to romp on it.

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
I'd like to install a catch can for my TDI. But... I have the awful aftermerketish look of it (1) and ~$400-500 is waaaaay to expensive for me (2). So I live without one. If it'd cost ~$40-50, then why not.
There are a variety of catch cans out there, ranging from 20-500 dollars a pop. Many on eBay can be had for under 100 and seem to be very well made. The one I bought for the Mini actually comes with an internal baffle, features all aluminum construction and is surprisingly well made for $50. I will test it out by seeing if I get any oil on the outlet line.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Personally I like buying trusted/tested/verified products so would be really nice to hear some feedback. Also, pay attention to how the setup looks like and the difficulty fo assembly (and removal once having repairs done in engine bay).

adrian537

TDI
2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi
has anyone installed a catch can on a 2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi 2.0L engine CJAA manual trans?
trying to find out a diagram showing the suggested hose routing for installation of the MANN ProVent 200 on a CJAA engine

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
has anyone installed a catch can on a 2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi 2.0L engine CJAA manual trans?
trying to find out a diagram showing the suggested hose routing for installation of the MANN ProVent 200 on a CJAA engine
Don't do it. Your car already has a "catch can" built into the valve cover, see he previous page.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I found a new product. Forgive if this was mentioned above.... for OIL CATCH CAN or TSI Catch Can...

This is a can that routes engine oil through it (like an external oil filter) to keep carbon from building on intake valves of direct injection gas VW TSI engines... YT video from the HumbleMechanic shows it being installed and links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_A9OUgNnkI

It's not for the TDI.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
What non existent problem are you trying to fix with a catch can?
I am not trying to fix any problem. It is just a comment on an aftermarket product for VW's with the word "oil catch can"... Clearly I say it's for the TSI engines (not TDI). The link describes the problem it is designed to fix, carbon build up on intake valves, for direct injected gas VW engines, which is a real problem, not "non existent". What is your problem... really why are you so argumentative? Oh right you are trolling, like you always do....

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Oh, OK. Fair enough. I'm just kinda skeptical. I'll take your advice and educate myself.........

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
my old volvo with hydraulic lifters, loved 1/2 qt of marvel mystery oil mixed with the engine oil, it really quited down the valve clatter. We should all add marvel mystery oil to our engine oil!! Cause you know apples and oranges.

I've also read that some TSI catch cans capture crazy amount of moisture that needs to be routinely drained (every other fill up) other wise it'll clog the PCV system and blow out the rear main seal. This problem is 10 times worse in winter months where freezing of that goo is very common on short drives.

Only TSI people that I've seen that swear by catch cans are those that track their cars and see 5-7K routinely. Apparently the stock TSI CCV breather sloshes quite a bit of oil around the top of the head around corners and then giant slugs of oil gets sent through the charge system. There are two types of catch cans, one that uses the stock CCV plate on top of the head, and others that replace it for something more robust, both have plubming for an extrenal can with baffles that "filter" out the oil mist.

Again on the TSI, the only thing that is 100% fool proof means of keeping your intake valves clean is installing multiport injection, wash those valves with good old gas, even those with meth injection systems still have rather nasty looking valves at 50K.

All of what i've said is great knowledge but absolutely zero relevance with TDI's and the CR platform.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
From what I could find, CCV oiling does not cause carbon build up on valves. High mileage PD engines like mine are proof of that. The problem with TSI engines with carbon build up on the valves is because of the injection system, not CCV oiling.

And sure, there are people out there that will shill you to sell product and claim that their product will "fix" problems that have nothing to do with the product they are shilling for.

I guess if trying to relate to things that have a basis in fact is "trolling," I don't see a need to change. $300 for a product that does nothing for the operation or longevity of your car? Really?

Last edited: