1 Year of ownership update on my Treg TDI Exec

BadgerFan

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive, White
I took delivery of my 2012 Treg Executive TDI about a year ago. (had a 2005 passat TDI for 7 years as my previous vehicle)

Observations:

1) 23,000 miles as of today--No Mechanical Issues since taking delivery.
2) Mileage (DIC) Winter 25 to 26 / Early Fall/Late Spring /Mild Summer Temps 28 to 29 no a/c (40 psi on all four tires)
3)With the privacy cover pulled back in the cargo area rear visibility is terrible So I have to release it before I start driving.
4)Some wind noise with the panoramic sunroof closed and no shade screen but not enough to be a concern
5)Heavy Duty cargo mat(VW product) has no latching mechanism slides frequently where it impedes the rear latch from locking occasionally. I believe this is a safety issue and VW dealer has no answer.. May have to improvise and Velcro the mat to the built in mat/carpeting.
6) Breaks squeal in reverse (backing up) > No break fade or break issues but noise is annoying. Dealer looking into it.
8)What I like.
-Feels like a solid built vehicle with excellent fit and finish.
-Tracks straight when on flat surface.
-Interior is better than any domestic vehicle I have owned and better than the passat I had.
-Sound system(Dyne Audio) rivals the Mark levinson option on some of the Japaneese premium brands.
-Proximity warning sensors have saved me countless times . Just this option is worth the upgrade to the Excec model.
-Cant believe a 5000 vehicle gets near 30 mpg.
- AWD in the snow is excellent
- Wireless music streaming/ bluetooth sound quality is excellent/voice commands work well (quiet cabin soundproofing is evident here)
- Tire's Wearing Well -- I run Nitrogen(I know this has been discussed in the past)
-3d GPS is excellent

As of now would recommend .. This is the best vehicle I have owned domestic and import. (thus far) will update again at some point in the future.

markitzero

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux, 2012 Passat TDI SEL
Nice! I love this platform... '05 Touareg, '06 Cayenne and '07 Q7 have all been great and the '12 Touareg is better than all of them. We went Lux and in hindsight wish we had gone Exec. The audio system in the Lux is horrible, by comparison the Fender in our '12 Passat is night and day... superb. The parking sensors (while annoying at times) are nice to have. The push button start is another thing that once you have it... it's hard not to have. Oh well, maybe in a year or two i'll get the Exec.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I have had the same experience with my 2012 LUX TDI. I have a tin ear so the stereo seems fine to me,plus I have the windows open most of the time,so sound quality gets wrecked anyway. Great car.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I am glad to hear there are folks that are having good to great experiences with the (that generation) 2011/2012/2013.

I have ZERO issues @ app 17,000 miles.

Additionally, I am really appreciative of the AWD and 8 speed Aisin A/T. I just recently did a (winter) mountain R/trip with chain controls both up to and down out of the mountains (S Tahoe) zero to 7,300 ft back to sea level. Sustained and long descents were easily handled using the sequential portion of the A/T . A spin off was because the brake lights hardly went on and off, most followers dropped WAY back. To my way of thinking enhancing safety for my vehicle.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Wow! It is one year already? Time sure flies fast. It sounds like the V6 TDI is not as fiendishly complex as the V10 TDI before it.

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
6) Breaks squeal in reverse (backing up) > No break fade or break issues but noise is annoying. Dealer looking into it.
I have the same annoying issue in cold, damp weather. It seems to be a common complaint, and exists in other vehicles that use the same Brembos.
Changing to a different composition pad seems to be the answer.

Last edited:

markitzero

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux, 2012 Passat TDI SEL
I have the same annoying issue in cold, damp weather. It seems to be a common complaint, and exists in other vehicles that use the same Brembos.
Changing to a different composition pad seems to be the answer.
My A4, A6, Q7, Cayenne, 328xi, Passat and now Touareg all do (or did) this. The brake pads get a "glaze" on them when they are gently used. Find a quiet country road and do a couple of hard stops... the noise will go away for a while.