Brake lights randomly come on and Brakes lock up when driving

trdillon1

TDI
jetta
I orginally thought that my car was going into limp mode but then when reading about it i learned that it was actually my brakes tighten up. If I pump them hard a couple of times they go back to normal. Also If I leave my car off for a while (say while going grocery shoping or overnight) I will come back to it and the brake lights are on. What the heck is going on?!!!!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I orginally thought that my car was going into limp mode but then when reading about it i learned that it was actually my brakes tighten up. If I pump them hard a couple of times they go back to normal. Also If I leave my car off for a while (say while going grocery shoping or overnight) I will come back to it and the brake lights are on. What the heck is going on?!!!!

What car.
Year.
Make.
Model, Jetta?
Miles on it.
Any Mods?
History of repairs, troubles, other symptoms?

Everything else you can think of that MIGHT be relevant?

Bill

trdillon1

TDI
jetta
I have already replace the host between the break booster and the vacuum pump. This has been going on for a while but I don't notice it unless I am on the freeway. I just unplugged the break lights because i don't want to wake up some morning with a dead battery. It is a 2002 Jetta with no mods

trdillon1

TDI
jetta
Also my cruise control doesn't work, and if i use the turning signal it will work properly. when i complete the turn it will start to click really fast. the light doesn't continue but the click will and it stops sometimes after a few seconds and sometimes it takes several minutes

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Brakes applying themselves can be caused by misadjustment of the linkage or dirt not allowing the piston in the master to retract fully. The bleed ports between the piston bore and the reservoir are not uncovered so pressure builds up as the fluid heats up.

The fact that the lights stay on and cruise doesn't work could mean something is keeping the pedal from retracting fully causing the above condition.

Dunno about the turn signal issue. Might just be the switch.