Needing new TDI

cooter2

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (5 Speed)
So my 307k mile 2004 Jetta TDI that was meticulously maintained and didn't have a spec of rust was crushed like a beer can between a Jeep liberty and a Buick....

So I have been looking for a replacement TDI and have been having a hard time finding used reasonably priced replacement under $8k. I live in NE, anyone know where to look that I may be missing (tried Craigslist, Cars.com and autotrader)?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Not sure you'll find something in that price range but look at Carvana and CarMax.

cooter2

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (5 Speed)
I have been leaning towards 2006 and newer. Kinda liking the new body styles. I did expand the distance range of my search and have been getting more hits at the higher end of my $$ range.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
2006 had some cam issues but you should be able to find one for less than $8k easily I would think. There were no 2007/2008 so no go there. 2009-2011? had some early high pressure fuel pump issues to think about, but simpler emissions systems.

VW is buying back cars and fixing them and reselling them. You should really consider one of these if you can afford it. Right now they are mostly 2015's but if earlier years show up for less you might get a deal.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I just checked Autotrader. You will have to go 400+ miles out of Nebraska to find what you're looking for.
I found 40 2006 Jetta TDI's under $6000. Search VW/Jetta/-- Don't check diesel under the "Fuel type", but use- TDI instead in the separate search box.
I used 68501 (Lincoln) as a zip code to do a distance search.

The buyback by VW has created a definite gap in 2009-2014 model years, and subsequently people with older models are hanging on to them a bit longer, and asking a higher price if they do finally decide to sell them.

Maybe you can talk to an independent car lot/ reseller in your area and ask them to search for a TDI with your search criteria next time they go to auction. (Auto/Manual/Jetta/Golf/miles/etc.

Many will, especially If they have a definite buyer that they can just "flip" a car to without having to hold it in inventory or do any clean up or maintenance on. The less you have them do, the more likely you can get it for a few hundred (500-800) dollars over what they pay.

You may get lucky enough to get a mid-150k mile car for about 3599-4500 , or a higher mileage one for even less.
Good luck.