Clutch...How Long will it Last, Place your bets!

dzlchef

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously 02 Jetta TDI
Not another clutch question!

I recently noticed that my clutch will slip 200-400 rpms under full acceleration @ 2000 rpms in 5th gear. I have 62k on my 2002 Jetta with an Upsolute chip as my only mod about 5k miles ago. I'm expecting to replace my clutch, but how long will it continue to last if I don't force any further slippage in 5th gear? Will the clutch continue to degrade due to the added torque anyway, and how long?

I want to add bigger injectors and maybe more future mods, so I was wondering which clutch set-up would be best and most economical. I understand that I can keep the DMF with a Spec clutch, but will it hold up to the mods? If I go with a SMF, which ones have the least vibration?

I have replaced one clutch before on a previous non-VW car, so is it anymore difficult with the VW? Is there anyone in the SoCal area that wants to advise me or is it best to give my money to Harv?

Thanks for the help and your opions.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I think you should search out people who have changed out their clutches to see what would be good for you. Maybe take some time and do this before you get new injectors. Your clutch will slip big time when you put in those puppies.

dzlchef

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously 02 Jetta TDI
I'm not planning on adding bigger injectors until I have replaced the clutch. I guess that I'm looking for some estimate as to whether I'm going to be replacing my clutch very soon, or do I have some time to save-up some money and do it right. I'm also looking for the set-up which will provide enough strength to endure future mods, but have the least risidual noise.

I'm soliciting peoples opinions and prior experiences.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The retention of the dual mass flywheel is the quietest way to do things. Guys have been having great luck with them too. I have the G60 lightweight flywheel and the VR6 clutch and PP. This does owever make a bit of rattling noise. Not a ton mind you but not as quiet as a stock DMF setup. If you stay out of the throttle you could go 20K or more. Throttle usage will glaze the clutch in short orded. Say 1-3K miles.

hl649

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Black
I started having clutch slippage on my 01 Jetta at about 50k (Wett chip at 12k and 110k now). I ignored it until I decided on a SPEC clutch. I purchased the clutch. It turned out to be the wrong clutch so I ended up paying for a R&R on the clutch and put the old back in. To make a long story short, I now have both a Sachs and Luk replacement SPEC clutch sitting in the shop but my clutch stopped slipping. It slipped for 2 winters and then stopped. Maybe it will last, maybe not.

I have often wondered how long they will last if you just baby it. If you don't change it out you keep us up to date on how long it does last.

P.S. The LUK replacement clutch is for sale. Don't need it; my car has a Sachs.

Sebpt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (SOLD). 2005 MB E320 CDI
I just changed mine last weekend. It's a pain in the butt but feasable. I installed a spec stage 1 and I LOVE IT!

good luck (you need it)