Injectors worn out

modder man

TDI
98 jetta tdi
I am looking at putting new nozzles on my 98 tdi with 235k miles on it. I have been having issues with fueling and lower fuel economy I think my be associated with the injection. Should the car get new injectors as well or will the nozzles likely fix the problems associated with injection?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Back up the Fail Train a bit. What are your symptoms? Is it just poor fuel economy? Hard starting? Smoking? If so, what color and when? Engine run smooth? How is the timing? How is the smooth idle compensation? Good power?

The car has 235k miles, and is now 16+ years old, so for sure your nozzles are a little "less than perfect", but that doesn't necessarily mean they are "worn out".

modder man

TDI
98 jetta tdi
The nozzles I was planning on swapping anyway, little bit of an upgrade as well as hopefully helping out with the slight power loss and smoke. The car starts fine but smokes white smoke quite a bit on low end acceleration. The power is definitely not what it used to be. I guess the short is I was looking to upgrade the nozzles and was unsure whether the car should have new injectors as well or how that works?

ChrisB.

Veteran Member
TDI
Stepfather of an '03 Jetta TDI, still miss my chipped 1999 Bright Blue NB Totaled 10/2011; 2011 TR GTI, 1998 NB 2.slo0
Clogged intercooler? Intake?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
So many possibilities. yes check symptoms. I did a set for someone who self-diagnosed, turns out a lifter was blown out.

modder man

TDI
98 jetta tdi
I know there are a ton of possibilities...The question still remains, if I replace the nozzles is there a reason to replace the injectors with them?

modder man

TDI
98 jetta tdi
Ok thanks. Someone was trying to tell me that the springs in the injectors get worn out and just dont perform well anymore. I was having a tough time believing that.

oilhammer

TDI
Well, normally, nozzles get installed into injector bodies and pop-tested, flow matched, etc. I'd never just swap over nozzles and shove them in the old injector bodies and put them back in the engine. Some people have done that, though. I wouldn't, nor would I recommend it.

Plus, since you are really going after an issue here, which is the kernel of your concern, you really should have the injectors TESTED as they are FIRST, to see what condition they are in right now. Our diesel shop (as most of them) will work with you to verify if your concern is indeed something with the injectors (of which, the nozzle is part of) or perhaps something else. And most of these shops will bench test them for free.

You could have other issues, still.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Springs don't just wear out, especially springs like these. They might creep a little bit - which is why they should be re-shimmed by a diesel shop. In addition to that, all of the other pieces of the puzzle change the pressures at which they pop.

I'm with OH on this, you need to do proper diagnosis.

oilhammer

TDI
The plan was to buy the nozzles and have a diesel shop here in town install them and pop test them all.

OK, that's fine and all, however I would just ask them to check them BEFORE they take them apart, and tell them your symptoms.