Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Your post of a mazda 3 seeing 40 mpgs on your trip, manual trans or automatic?? ARe those pen & paper numbers are ecu generated numbers??

Your car is closer to Polo, Corolla, Sentra, Civic than the current Jetta, Golf, NB, or the current gasoline or coming 6. As I have said over & over the cars in your class can easily hit that 40 mpg mark with the right engine and transmission combo. Where it gets tricky is in the larger class current diesel offerings head to head with the gasoline powered counterparts.....

And how does that 3 compare in size, ride and driving experience compared to the coming 6 diesel or the current diesel Jetta/Golf class offerings sold here today?? The 3 is a much smaller and lighter platform so higher mpgs are possible with the right engine & transmission under the hood.....

And on what is possible with gasoline power, with lean burn tech similar to diesel numbers can be seen but these engines "require" ULSG and PM filters to pass emissions tests....

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Is the 6 diesel really coming to North America?

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Ok, dumb question: whenever I click on the page 38 of this thread it always comes back to page 37. I'm using an old version of FF but for some reason this one thread seems hung up. If I look at the link it says page 38 but it will go to page 37 instead. Weird.

A while ago I determined that I probably would not care what rpm an engine spun at nor how often the transmission shifted, as long as I couldn't hear it. Well, within reason, I know an auto wears clutches on every shift, and if it's constantly shifting then I'd worry about getting 300k out of the transmission--but durability aside, if I can't hear it doing its job, then why would I care?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your car is closer to Polo, Corolla, Sentra, Civic than the current Jetta, Golf, NB, or the current gasoline or coming 6. As I have said over & over the cars in your class can easily hit that 40 mpg mark with the right engine and transmission combo. Where it gets tricky is in the larger class current diesel offerings head to head with the gasoline powered counterparts.....
How do you figure this? The Mazda 3 5-door is bigger in several dimensions than the current Golf, has a 2 liter engine, and is similar in interior dimensions and capacity. It is a 150-200 lbs. lighter than the Golf TDI, but close in weight to the current Jetta. I'd argue that the cars you list are all in the same size class and would be cross-shopped by many VW buyers. The 6 is a larger car, more of a competitor to the Passat, Accord, or Camry.

The OP's point is that he's getting similar FE in a gasser and lower fuel cost per mile at current prices in a comparable car. And I agree with him.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
With the exception of the Polo, I've cross shopped all of those over the years. At one point (05), we ended up with the Corolla. At another point (12), we ended up with the Golf TDI. Different times, different needs, and different amounts in the bank account.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
I think the main point is that small engined manual transmission compact cars are efficient.

Unfortunately they are not the main choice of the buying majority.

Getting back to the Mazda 6 diesel have there been any updates?

Any news whether they are redesigning with urea or if they are doing the same software change down under got and are attempting to dial in more power while passing emissions?

Is there a way of checking who's got what engine in for testing with the government? I'm thinking like how you can check the fcc filings to see what new phones are prepping for release.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk HD

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
How do you figure this? The Mazda 3 5-door is bigger in several dimensions than the current Golf, has a 2 liter engine, and is similar in interior dimensions and capacity. It is a 150-200 lbs. lighter than the Golf TDI, but close in weight to the current Jetta. I'd argue that the cars you list are all in the same size class and would be cross-shopped by many VW buyers. The 6 is a larger car, more of a competitor to the Passat, Accord, or Camry.

The OP's point is that he's getting similar FE in a gasser and lower fuel cost per mile at current prices in a comparable car. And I agree with him.
And I did the numbers on FE from pump to pump. The numbers are exact. Car is not broken in yet. Running tires 38 psi. It's been a pleasant surprise. By the way other posters talk about loud gasoline engines. Better go test drive some. Makes the TDI seem loud in town and as quiet on hwy. but road noise is higher no doubt. Not as massive feeling as the golf. Dimensions are inline with new Golf. Decent value.

TDIPWR33

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 TDI MK3
mazda 2.2l twin turbo diesel coming to canada

Looks interesting, I wonder when the release date will be. Its a 2.2l twin turbo diesel made to run like a v8. VW is a proven diesel, this mazda utilizes different technology that may not last long...check it out post what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5SQkEUBdo

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Old news... as of now it looks like that engine won't be making it to North America any time soon

TDIPWR33

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 TDI MK3
Its on their Canadian website, I herd that it will be coming to Canada just didn't know when and I could have sworn it wasn't on there website until recently

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Mazda was supposed to have diesel '6' a few years ago, but they kept running into EPA emissions problems. The rep at the drive event I did a few weeks wasn't sure it would ever make it to our market

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Did the Mazda 2 diesel made it here? Remember all the hoola last year but haven't looked into it since.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just another one that sounds interesting/tempting. Just like Honda a few years ago said a diesel is coming. So is J.C!

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Nope, nothing on Mazda's Canadian site about a 2015 model having the diesel option...

As Yatzee mentioned, there is something about their emissions that won't meet the epa standards, and I think Mazda is refusing to implement that emissions component... Can't remember if it was an Egr, or urea injection...

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Mazda, lol. The same company that said people in Australia who owned new CX-5s should be checking their oil every 600 miles and changing every 1200 because the oil was being diluted with diesel?

Sure sounds like a company I'd want to own a vehicle from.

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
It was supposed to be offered last fall, but was delayed until spring and then yet again. Sounds like it's finally on its way!

It would be nice to have more diesel options on the market; I've driven Ford 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 diesels in Europe in the Focus and Mondeo. They drive just like the VW TDIs do. I liked the 1.8 the least, as I found the gearing to be poorly chosen. In the city it always felt like I was in the wrong gear, either too high or too low. The 1.6 and 2.0 were great.

CG

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
http://www.mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=innovationSkyactiv

scroll down. The url ends in .ca which means Canada. I don't think its something to buy right away, maybe after a few years if it comes to canada
Do you have any idea what you're reading? That link has nothing to do with the skyactiv diesel engine... It's the skyactiv gas engine.... The gas engine is named the skyactiv-G where as the diesel is skyactiv-D... Two completely different things... The diesel is also a 14:1 ratio, not 13:1... Not trying to be an ass here just pointing out it's not the diesel

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Do you have any idea what you're reading? That link has nothing to do with the skyactiv diesel engine... It's the skyactiv gas engine.... The gas engine is named the skyactiv-G where as the diesel is skyactiv-D... Two completely different things... The diesel is also a 14:1 ratio, not 13:1... Not trying to be an ass here just pointing out it's not the diesel
Scroll down on the same page link he provided. Items 8 and 9. Diesel engine and 30% fuel efficiency parts.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Mazda, lol. The same company that said people in Australia who owned new CX-5s should be checking their oil every 600 miles and changing every 1200 because the oil was being diluted with diesel?

Sure sounds like a company I'd want to own a vehicle from.

No Bill, you're completely misunderstanding. You are then supposed to take the diesel/oil mixture and pour it all over the car to keep it from prematurely rusting out. Nothing like a 4 year old Mazda3 that looks like it's been through some kind of brutal salt test.

TDIPWR33

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 TDI MK3
Yea its on that webpage I provided, and in terms of salt test my mk3 rusts more and more by the day. After a few more winters I might see some holes in the body lol

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
However, I'm not sure anyone with a Mk4 can talk sh1t about other cars rusting out...

I just did. And MK5's have way worse rust problems than MK4's. Show me how many '00 mazda3's there are around with a solid floor........one hand should be enough to count with. Have yet to see a mk4 with a rotten floor. Mk3's..... well, let's not discuss that.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I just did. And MK5's have way worse rust problems than MK4's. Show me how many '00 mazda3's there are around with a solid floor........one hand should be enough to count with. Have yet to see a mk4 with a rotten floor. Mk3's..... well, let's not discuss that.
Take a hard look at the new 3. Trust me Mazda has learned a hard lesson. huge improvements but only time will tell.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
My mk4 has barely any rust... My old protege5, oh dear God....

And look at what? The Mazda 3 is brand new, I hope there's no rust