My build thread GTB2056VL, race1043 etc

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Hi guys!

I spoke to the developer of that little upgrade board for FIS / MFA. He wants me to collect ideas for further functions he can implement to it. I posted something http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2980628#post2980628 here.

I'd like to have a display of single or selected values like boost etc. Implementation of external sensors like EGT would be nice. Graphical display is currently being developed, but ideas for the design are always welcome. And the board is capable of controlling up to 8 relais that can control any other functions.

An example (Ladedruck = boost):

So let me know what your ideas are - we will soon test the board with a Golf Mk4 to verify it runs there.

Greetz,

Fabian

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
If you open your eyes just a little more you'll see that the tach redline goes to 6.5krpm, so my guess is that it is a pic from a gasoline car =)

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Nice buld thread.

Looking forward to hearing how much power it puts out once the MAP sensor is sorted out. I love your ride, it's my definition of sleeper. Despite the weight, the in gear acceleration must be pretty good...enough to give some 'hot hatches' a run for their money :D

Ash :)

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Rub87 said:
If you open your eyes just a little more you'll see that the tach redline goes to 6.5krpm, so my guess is that it is a pic from a gasoline car =)
I thought that was a shot taken inside the galaxy :eek: Never saw the tacho :D

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
excellent work..i'm impressed!

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
That -0.36bar screenshot isn't from my Galaxy; I think it is from an A4 or TT. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of display yet, but it is being prepared already.

Greetz,

Fabian

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
I finally managed to take a in-car video of my Ford Galaxy. Took it to a little testdrive around town, but had no opportunity to really floor the pedal :cool: Too much traffic on the road so no chance to actually demonstrate acceleration. However, despite the iPod nano camera quality it's a nice little impression of my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxsA5YJIULE

Greetz,

Fabian

Last edited:

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I don't run with seats in the back at all, but then my car isn't a family bus ;) It usually only carries me and maybe a passenger on odd occasions. T'is very fast though your bus!

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
I need the stupid seats, unfortunately - I got to move three kids ;) But each seat weights 25kg, which is a lot...

Good thing about my engine is that you still can drive the car as a daily driver without any issues. Again, good planning by Ruben :cool:

Greetz,

Fabian

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
So, 0 - 100 km/h in ~8 seconds. That's faster than a Mk4 Golf GTI! Not bad, considering it weighs nearly 2 tonnes.

Ash :)

numbnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 golf
I love this ride, I am seriously thinking of changing my plans of getting a passat to getting one of these now after reading your thread. Think they do look a bit crap standard but with a few mods have serious potential. Very cool ride fella:cool:

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
I am pretty happy with that ride (despite the weight) - a nice website in the UK is www.fgoc.co.uk (Ford Galaxy Owners Club). Especially for any kind of modding ;) If you have to transport a number of kids and some goods in the trunk at the same time, this car is a pretty good choice. Also, the Ford Galaxy has ~99% of all parts interchangeable with the VW Sharan, which allows you to play with the VAG Lego parts ;) But I'm thinking of getting something small like a Seat Arosa just for fun driving...

Greetz,

Fabian

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B7 A4 V6 2.5TDI, MK2 frankentdi 2.0 16V TDI PD
Here is mine...

As described. It's quite same thing than yours but into a MK3 Jetta coupe.

MeTsU

TDI
'05 Polo Sportline 1.9TDi (PD130)
Neuk said:
Wow - Awesome work ;) A real inspiration for me to get going on mine...

Cheers
Nic
You can certainly say that again Nic! :D

Well done Fab! You guys did great!

Ciao, Matteo

Olit

Veteran Member
TDI
VW SHARAN TDI (ASZ-engine)
Hi!

Congratiulations on a well performed build! VERY interesting car you got!:)

Myself I got a 2005/2006 VW Sharan Highline, with ASZ-engine (130hp) - everything standard so far. I am thinking about updating the chassis first - wheels and rubber, possibly brakes, springs and dampers, and bushings. But I experience trouble finding any proper bushings for this car!

I would be very interested in hearing more about what modifications you have done to the chassis of your car, to tame the powerful engine.

Olit - Norway

Last edited:

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Hi Olit!

Before I actually modded my engine, I did quite a lot to my car :)

I installed a Brembo 6-piston brake at the front (calipers are from Audi Q7 / Porsche Cayenne) with 360x34mm rotors. I had to get some adaptors to make the fit the wheel bearing housings. The German company ultimot.de helped me a lot with that.

I also installed coilovers from FK automotive - but they are REALLY rubbish, don't buy that! The dampers are killed frequently because the springs are good enough for a biro, but not for a 2 ton ride. There are coilovers available from H&R, which seems to be one of the best choices for the Sharan / Galaxy / Alhambra.

I didn't find any plug'n'play replacement bushings, unfortunately - in case you find something, let me know! As far as I know the 130 bhp Sharan already has the biggest available stabilisor at the front axle; it has +1mm diameter compared to the one I have. One of the future mods for me...

For summer, I use Mille Miglia EV-R 8.5x19 ET35 with Yokohama 235/35R19. Only issue is the relatively small loadindex of 91; usually in Germany you got to have at least a LI of 94. However, I got the wheels blessed by German TÜV - I am not allowed to install a coupling for a trailer, but who the hell wants that? ;) In winter, I use VW Interlagos in 18" with 10mm spacers on each wheel. Actually, I don't know the width of the rims at the moment, but I think it's 8".

Besides that, I did a number of modifications of the interior like Sharan gauges and switches (don't like the fugly green Ford lighting). Some smaller mods like a nice Golf V R32 steering wheel, a digital self-built boost gauge, a module that displays OBD-data in my MFA etc.

If you want to know more, let me know.

Greetz,

Fabian

Olit

Veteran Member
TDI
VW SHARAN TDI (ASZ-engine)
Hi again!

That was some nice chassis-mods!:) This weekend I will get some original 17", 7,5" et56 VAG-wheels, and I am about to order some Kuhmo Ecsta 225/50-17 98W XL-tires for them. No "big brake kit" for me, but I might eventually try brake-discs and pads from EBC. I was hoping that KONI would offer their FSD's for this car, as I have good experience with them on (fairly) OEM-setups - but no such thing in their catalogue.

I am fairly new to my car, but it really feels like the car would benefit from Poly-bushings! But as you said, there seem to be nothing on offer for us.

So if there is someone on this forum with access to the EKTA, please feel free to do a search for the partnumbers for the bushings for the VW Sharan (aka Ford Galaxy and Seat Alhambra), and cross-reference it and see if there are other VAG-products that share the same bushings. If so, there should be hope for us, as there is Poly-bushings to be had for most VAG-products, just not the Sharan and its sisters.

But no more hijacking, and back to the topic. You chose to use the "Volvo"-turbo - Garrett GTB2056VL. Did you ever consider to use the "Alfa Romeo"-turbo - Garrett GTB2056V. If so why? Just curious.

Olit

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Part five:

First, I installed a digital boost gauge that uses the signal coming from the "normal" MAP sensor. But after a while I realized it somehow interferred with the sensor and f*cked up the signal. So I was seeking for a way to get data available via OBD into my instrument cluster. Ok, here we go... The picture below shows the main menu. You can read OBD measuring blocks, fault codes etc.
so if i understand you correctly you were sharing the MAP signal for the ECU and your gauge, and with the gauge it was pulling down the signal and messing up the signal to the ecu.....

here is how you would solve that

with a unity Gain buffer opamp. the output voltage = the input voltage, but the impedance on the input is 10^8 so its no current or voltage flow away from that line

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Might you be able to buy something from Radioshack that can produce this "unity gain buffer opamp"?

I've got one of these digital gauges and have been told the same about the sharing issue.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Here is mine...
pyrometer is on the wrong side of the turbo....

Might you be able to buy something from Radioshack that can produce this "unity gain buffer opamp"?

I've got one of these digital gauges and have been told the same about the sharing issue.
yes any opamp will work. you will need a voltage regulator depending on your opamp, and you output can not exceed the voltage supplied... so if your signal is from 0-5VDC the a 12 to 9 volt regulator will work.

here are 2 with just a quick search on digikey
1)NJM2136M-ND
datasheet

2)LT6200CS6-5#TRMPBFCT-ND
datasheet

I have other ones on my desk at work i will post tomorrow

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
But no more hijacking, and back to the topic. You chose to use the "Volvo"-turbo - Garrett GTB2056VL. Did you ever consider to use the "Alfa Romeo"-turbo - Garrett GTB2056V. If so why? Just curious.
The big advantage is that the GTB2056VL is as well oil- and watercooled. And the turbo was actually a bargain :D About the bushings: I am with you!

Are you actually English, as I have never heard anyone foreign use the term "Fugly" before?! :D
:D No, but I had to work a lot with the RAF Regiment during my 13-year travel'n'shot with infantry - so I picked up a few terms, I guess...

so if i understand you correctly you were sharing the MAP signal for the ECU and your gauge, and with the gauge it was pulling down the signal and messing up the signal to the ecu.....

here is how you would solve that

with a unity Gain buffer opamp. the output voltage = the input voltage, but the impedance on the input is 10^8 so its no current or voltage flow away from that line
I thought about the solution you suggested, too. But the main problem was not the sharing of the signal, but the +5V and GROUND connection. For whatever reason I was instructed to connect the digital-boost-gauge-module to +5V and GROUND at the MAP-sensor. Completely useless; the only thing it caused was frequent fault codes and limp mode. I decided to connect just the data line and since then everything was fine.

Greetz,

Fabian