modified 1z hesitation misfire problems

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
So, I noticed I had a bit of hesitation/stutter at wot and high RPM's (over 3000). This problem got a bit worse as the days went on, and I assumed it was a fuel delivery problem and replaced the filter even though it was only 10k miles old. After replacing the filter, for the short test drive I took, the wot stutter seems to be gone, but if I stuff the pedal from a near stop in 1st or 2nd, the car loads up, smokes terrible and barely runs until I let off and let it clear up. After it clears, and I'm rolling along, I can floor it and it pulls hard.

I've got a BV-43 VNT turbo, Malone tune, my IQ is around 5, nozzles are PP764 and injectors were balanced, boost builds fast and holds steady at 25PSI, and injection timing is near the top line. I've got no CEL or codes coming up. Anyone have any guesses? Is my IP on its way out? Initially I though I may need a bit more IQ fueling, but with the car falling on its face from a hard start it acts like over fueling.

Thanks

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
It could be starving for fuel due to high inlet restriction before the fuel filter (Might be time for a lift pump or sending unit mod). It could also be valves floating and you may require dual valve springs.Beacuse it smokes I would say its getting fuel and its likely a valve float issue.I have ran into the valve float issue many times with modded engines. Just My 2 cents

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Interesting, I never considered valve float. I've been thinking about a stage 2 cam, perhaps it's time I do the cam and dual springs.

One piece I forgot to mention. I recently upgraded my internal 2.5bar MAP to an external 3bar map and swapped my old 21 PSI tune (that originally matched my old GT1749VA turbo) for the new 25 PSI tune (that Malone created for my BV43 turbo). With the old tune and MAP, my car was a tad laggy, but I never had the (possible) fueling issues I'm having now. I also had my IQ maxed out through VCDS (instead of hammer mod) which brought it to around a 4.0 instead of the current 5.0. Could having the adaption setting maxed mask a possible issue with the IP quantity adjuster? Also, I have verified that my boost gauge agrees with the MAP pressure reported to my ECU.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Have you installed a keystone?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
It could be starving for fuel due to high inlet restriction before the fuel filter (Might be time for a lift pump or sending unit mod). It could also be valves floating and you may require dual valve springs.Beacuse it smokes I would say its getting fuel and its likely a valve float issue.I have ran into the valve float issue many times with modded engines. Just My 2 cents
I've heard and have confirmed that there shouldn't be issues with valve float until you're >4500 or even 5000. The stock fuel filter is fine for this setup and the head, even stock, has dual valve springs
Interesting, I never considered valve float. I've been thinking about a stage 2 cam, perhaps it's time I do the cam and dual springs.

One piece I forgot to mention. I recently upgraded my internal 2.5bar MAP to an external 3bar map and swapped my old 21 PSI tune (that originally matched my old GT1749VA turbo) for the new 25 PSI tune (that Malone created for my BV43 turbo). With the old tune and MAP, my car was a tad laggy, but I never had the (possible) fueling issues I'm having now. I also had my IQ maxed out through VCDS (instead of hammer mod) which brought it to around a 4.0 instead of the current 5.0. Could having the adaption setting maxed mask a possible issue with the IP quantity adjuster? Also, I have verified that my boost gauge agrees with the MAP pressure reported to my ECU.
Though I don't recall mentioning it in my thread, I'm running the TechTonics valve springs due to avoiding those same concerns and also possible oscillations at 30 psi.
Have you installed a keystone?
^^^ I'm lucky I've not had problem myself, but I forgot about this gem and can account for your problems. I believe you can still get them from Whitbread.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
installing a keystone is a royal PITA, i tried once and gave up. some people tack weld it with great success. that's what i'll be doing if it ever becomes a problem...

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
keystone? I've not heard of it, I'll do some reading on it. Upon more testing, I've discovered I generally only experience the issue when stuffing the throttle from a slow start in 1st or 2nd. After changing the filter I have zero wot throttle fueling issues at speed.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
The valve float issue I have seen is mostly due to High emp's.The Stock dual valve springs are not stiff enough when the emp's are more than double stock IMO.

The issue can be much worse if the engine oil is not at full operating temperature also.

VNT's can make emp spikes that will cause the exhaust valves to float then the hydraulic lifter takes up the slack and you start to loose compression.As soon as the excessive exhaust manifold pressure is gone then the lifter slowly bleeds down and restores full compression to the engine.

Not saying that this is the OP's issue but if nothing else is found then EMP's could be checked.

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The valve float issue I have seen is mostly due to High emp's.The Stock dual valve springs are not stiff enough when the emp's are more than double stock IMO.

The issue can be much worse if the engine oil is not at full operating temperature also.

VNT's can make emp spikes that will cause the exhaust valves to float then the hydraulic lifter takes up the slack and you start to loose compression.As soon as the excessive exhaust manifold pressure is gone then the lifter slowly bleeds down and restores full compression to the engine.

Not saying that this is the OP's issue but if nothing else is found then EMP's could be checked.
This actually seems very similar to what I'm experiencing. I'll do some more testing and logging before I start buying any parts.