PD 140 install on a BRM problems

Racing_Rush

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hello all I am halfway through my PD 140 install on my 06 Jetta Tdi and I am sorting through a snag with my oil supply line. I bought a o.e one to replace my old one and I am going to end up cutting it shorter and flaring the line to connect up to the pd 140's rubber line, I am not sure what else everyone does to overcome this?

My next issue is that there is no smart actuator, from the reading I have done it can be driving without but the check engine light is going to be on which will bug me... So what kind of actuators are avaliable for these Garret turbos?

I have been told my Unitronics stage 1+ tune shouldn't be a problem with the new turbo, I was told that I might not get the full potential of the turbo till its properly tuned (which I don't think I will be able to get from my local source). True/False???

Also I am curious if I do have to get a new tune is the 3 bar map sensor a must?

TIA

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I would say go ahead and get a 3Bar map..worth the small amount of money.

I would also look into getting a braided steel oil supply line. They can be really finicky, and not having it correct would be really bad.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
There is a line available from a 2.0 t which will fit this application, p/n 03G145771R. I do not like the braided lines personally. The 3 bar map is worthwhile but you have to tune it immediately.

Last edited:

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
I did one last week. I had a local hydraulic shop make me a custom hose, but the either of the ones listed above will work. The PD140 turbo has LH threads for the oil feed, so beware of that. You can run it on your Unitronic 1+ tune just fine but the lag will be bad. Get it tuned for that turbo and it will be fantastic. I know both Malone and Rocketchip have good tunes for PD140 turbo'd BRMs, probably others too. Have the tuner delete the VNT position sensor to get rid of you CEL for that. You only need the 3bar MAP if the tune is set up for one, which something like a Malone Stage 4 is. Going by your location, it looks like you have a Malone dealer not to far away. Or if you have VCDS, buy a Flashzilla or Qloader, or whatever each tuner calls their respective tune tool and flash their tune in yourself.

Racing_Rush

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well it fought me the entire install but I came out victorious! The line I flared is holding up so I will monitor it for the next week and ensure it doesn`t leak or sweat. I have been out of the VW scene for a little bit and I haven`t heard of Malone tunes but I will definatly do some looking into that to get my system running to its potential. As of now with the Unitronics tune its running like it did before but with a bit more jam :D

ura9298

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Hey how are you?, was wondering is the GTB1749V from Darkside better? How's it compare to the Garrett PD 140 that most users on here I've seen so far are running?

A5INKY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
That Darkside turbo is a little bigger and it's easier to install. No LH threads on the oil feed port. I prefer it.

ura9298

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Considering my TDI is bone stock now, would i need to upgrade additional parts besides the oil feedline right away?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
If the darkside turbo doesnt have a smart actuator u will get a cel that will need to be tuned out. Thats y i went PD140 with smart actuator. Plug n play.

ura9298

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
I went ahead and ordered the pd140 but the merchant hasn't processed the order yet, thinking about contacting them in the am to cancel. Considering ordering the GTB1749V instead, along with a catless bigger downpipe since it is bigger and I should have more room for further upgrades down the road. Let me know what you guys think. I really appreciate all of your help =D

ura9298

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
That Darkside turbo is a little bigger and it's easier to install. No LH threads on the oil feed port. I prefer it.
If the darkside turbo doesnt have a smart actuator u will get a cel that will need to be tuned out. Thats y i went PD140 with smart actuator. Plug n play.
Im planning on getting it professionally tuned after I put everything together so Im ganna go with a bigger downpipe and a fresh aid filter. Would it cost me more if ill have to get my cel tuned out?:confused: :confused:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
$300-$400. Do not change your air intake. Stick with the stock set up. Stock provides way more air than needed. Research this ALOT before you install any aftermarket air intake as damage will follow.

A5INKY

TDI
Considering my TDI is bone stock now, would i need to upgrade additional parts besides the oil feedline right away?
If you are careful taking the old turbo off and don't damage the old oil feed line, it can be reused with a minor bit of tweaking as the Darkside turbo doesn't have that weird LH thread oil inlet port. This is risky though and an aftermarket SS braid line is a good idea if you are not completely confident working w/ the hard line.

The Darkside turbo does not come with a smart actuator. If you get tuned right away you can have that deleted in the tune with no negative effects. The actuator delete in the tune costs nothing extra through Malone, can't speak for other tuners.

I recommend a 3 bar MAP sensor with this turbo for it's full potential, that needs done at the same time a tune is loaded, let your tuner know about the sensor.

With this turbo and 3 bar MAP your OE injectors are the limiting factor and you will be at somewhere around 160-170HP. Add an injector upgrade and this turbo can do near 200HP.

FWIW, the OE exhaust is not that significant of a restriction even with this turbo IMO. It will work fine with a cat-less downpipe, but not absolutely needed.

ura9298

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
If you are careful taking the old turbo off and don't damage the old oil feed line, it can be reused with a minor bit of tweaking as the Darkside turbo doesn't have that weird LH thread oil inlet port. This is risky though and an aftermarket SS braid line is a good idea if you are not completely confident working w/ the hard line.

The Darkside turbo does not come with a smart actuator. If you get tuned right away you can have that deleted in the tune with no negative effects. The actuator delete in the tune costs nothing extra through Malone, can't speak for other tuners.

I recommend a 3 bar MAP sensor with this turbo for it's full potential, that needs done at the same time a tune is loaded, let your tuner know about the sensor.

With this turbo and 3 bar MAP your OE injectors are the limiting factor and you will be at somewhere around 160-170HP. Add an injector upgrade and this turbo can do near 200HP.

FWIW, the OE exhaust is not that significant of a restriction even with this turbo IMO. It will work fine with a cat-less downpipe, but not absolutely needed.
Would I need to retune later if i do decide to uprade the exhaust or does not play much of a role in the tuning portion?

A5INKY

TDI
A tune should chiefly be considered a calibration for the hard parts. You'll get a better finished product if you tune for the hardware to be used. While I doubt overall power output numbers will change by a whole lot with the cat delete, it can make a small difference that would be best adjusted for via the tune.

RollingCoal11

TDI
2006 Jetta
what engine did the pd140 injectors come out of? AZV? I also have a BRM and this is not the first thread I read about the BRM being finicky about performance mods?