200k mile question

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Was the "fix" for this car just a flash? or was there hardware put on too?
I'm pretty sure the 2015's fix was software only but 2012-2014 NMS is phase I software to be followed by a phase II hardware (and software too?) fix. There is some information on this in the Dieselgate sub-forum here. I believe the phase II hardware was approved and is starting to be released to dealers but AFAIK nobody has reported doing phase II yet which would include how it affected the driveability and fuel economy. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in on this.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I am mostly highway and drive with fuel economy in mind when I'm on my commute.
So, somehow I was under the impression that I'd be getting 30-32 mpg highway after the "fix." I thought I had read that somewhere. Now I'm digging a bit deeper on this forum and seeing that some have reported 40+mpg hwy after the fix...
Was the "fix" for this car just a flash? or was there hardware put on too?
The Phase I fix is software only. I’m getting 56.0 mpg since the fix; admittedly, my driving style is not typical, as I use my car for commuting only/no short trips or grocery-getting.

russdawg24

TDI
'13 Passat SEL w/DSG
The Phase I fix is software only. I’m getting 56.0 mpg since the fix; admittedly, my driving style is not typical, as I use my car for commuting only/no short trips or grocery-getting.
And there has been no Phase 2 solution yet then... correct?

There are so many different things out there per model/year it's confusing.... I might just call my dealer with my vin and ask them what the deal is haha.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
There are so many different things out there per model/year it's confusing.... I might just call my dealer with my vin and ask them what the deal is haha.
According to the Phase 2 thread, it was recently (as in this month) approved and dealers are just starting to book appointments. I have not yet been notified.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'm pretty sure the 2015's fix was software only but 2012-2014 NMS is phase I software to be followed by a phase II hardware (and software too?) fix. There is some information on this in the Dieselgate sub-forum here. I believe the phase II hardware was approved and is starting to be released to dealers but AFAIK nobody has reported doing phase II yet which would include how it affected the driveability and fuel economy. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in on this.

Wrong, 12-14 Passats was software only, '15 is phase 1 and phase 2 fixes with hardware, this applies to Jettas/Golfs/Passats and NBs.

People have reported 12-14 MPG going down but again if you're mainly highway, it shouldn't be a whole bunch.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

People have been reporting scheduling the phase 2 fix for Mk7 Golfs next week. Reports will soon trickle in the results.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
my post fix MPG's are all over the board, it seems as if the programing is tuned to keep the exhaust hot, whenever I drive threw rain or cold temps my MPG's drop into the low 30's but rebound up to 45MPG on a nice 70+F day