White smoke, Golf Mk3, video

Zutsko

TDI
Golf Mk3 90HP '95
I finally got the renovated engine started, but not as cheerful as hoped :(

New valve sealings, new over sized pistons and bored to fit, a new turbo, new cylinder head gasket, all seal ring new, oil catch tank added and EGR completely removed.
Compression is 500 psi on each cylinder (+-10 psi). Timing adjusted with renovated injection pump and new nozzle tips.

Any suggestions on why?!?

https://youtu.be/uLmp451o8ZI

Zutsko

TDI
Golf Mk3 90HP '95
Hi again,

After some test drive is it clearly shows that is uses the cooling water, and a lot of it. I expected it to be either cylinder head gasket or the actual cylinder head.

I changed the cylinder head and gasket, and no change in the result... :(

https://youtu.be/aT-MMf55za4

So the last thing must be cracked cylinder wall right? If it is not the cylinder head or gasket, the only place the water can get into the combustion chamber would be through the cylinder wall :confused:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The heat exchanger on the EGR system can leak coolant into the exhaust. Was it removed?

A crack in the cylinder wall would leak into the oil. Does you oil look milky?

Was it loosing water before you rebuilt it?

Last edited:

Zutsko

TDI
Golf Mk3 90HP '95
The heat exchanger on the EGR system can leak coolant into the exhaust. Was it removed?

A crack in the cylinder wall would leak into the oil. Does you oil look milky?

Was it loosing water before you rebuilt it?
Thanks for the suggestions:

There is not heat exchanger in the EGR system

A crack in the cylinder wall will not necessary leak water into the oil (of course depending on where the crack is), oil is clean for water and water is clean for oil

The block did not use any water prior to rebuild, but it came from a overheated engine where the cylinder head was done and the pistons had scraped the cylinder wall, this why it got it bored up to 80.01 mm (as recommended by the cylinder service company, saying this was enough). I did not check for any cracks

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You're right on the where the water would go with a cracked cylinder. Don't know what I was thinking.

But it seems unlikely to me.