2015 A3 TDI engine and reliability question

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Hello, I presently own a 2005 Passat TDI with the BHW engine and 126,000 miles on it. I am considering the 2015 A3 TDI, but I am wondering if anyone has enough miles on vehicle to judge how reliable the engine is after 100,000 miles (or if less, what has been failing). From the 2004-2005 B5.5 Passat TDI post, and my experience, the BHW engine has a balance shaft that is likely to fail early, a camshaft that is likely to wear early, and other engine issues.

Can you A3 owners share your mileage and engine/vehicle experiences so far?

Thank you, Mark

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
As I understand it, the 2015 Audi A3 has the EA288 engine, which is the same engine that VW's using in all of their small diesels starting in 2015. As such, there isn't yet enough data out there to be meaningful yet -- at least, not in North America. I believe the same engine has been out in Europe for a couple of years, so you might get some information from Europe. Even if you find one or two Europeans who've put 100,000 miles on their EA288s, though, that doesn't make a statistically meaningful sample -- whatever the result is could all too easily be a statistical anomaly. There might also be differences between the North American and European engines because of different emissions control systems or whatnot.

ChinaBob

TDI
2016 BMW 328d x-drive; 2015 Audi A3 TDi
Not that this is statistically significant, but I have close to 14,000 miles on my TDI so far and not only the engine but the whole car, with the exception of some functions that run through the Audi MMI app, has functioned perfectly. I have faith that the bugs in the MMI app will be fixed soon, but, in any case, they have no effect on the core functions of the car.

redblues

TDI
Audi A3, Mk6 Golf
I'd like to see if the DPF on the EA288's last longer than the ones that came attached to the CBEA/CJAA's.. also the turbo actuator I think is a point of concern.