www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old October 14th, 2009, 15:44   #1
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Default MkVI DIY/FAQ - Start here

Hi all,

For all intents and purposes, the MkVI is pretty much a MkV chassis with a facelift.

At this time, there is not a whole lot of MkVI specific information available. A lot of the information from the MkV chassis carries through to the MkVI chassis cars. For now, I'm posting a link to the MkV DIY/FAQ that those of you owning '10 and later Golf/Jetta SportWagen cars can refer to.

Once we get some good MkVI specific information, I'd be glad to start a new thread and we can get a MkVI specific DIY/FAQ going. If anyone wants to start this undertaking, feel free.

You can view the MkV FAQ by clicking here - MkV ('05.5 - '10) Jetta DIY/FAQ

- DZ
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 14:30   #2
STRANGETDI
Veteran Member

Great idea for MkVI "HOW TOs"!
OLD: 1999.5 Golf GL TDI,Up'd,.216s,17 OZ Rims,Eibach Pro-Kit&Dampers,TT SS 2.5" Exst. 222,000 - Sold to Rossman83
STRANGETDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 12:45   #3
kjs16v

MkVI Oil Capacity, Engine Code CJAA

Hello Everyone,

Let's start with something as easy as changing the oil on our TDIs. I have read a few posts where some have said the capacity as being 4.3 liters and some have posted 4.7 liters.

I can say that after changing the oil on my 2011 Golf TDI, engine code CJAA, vehicle build date 8/2010, the capacity with a new filter is 4.7 liters. This will get you to the top of the hatch mark on the dipstick. VW part # for the oil filter is 071-115-562C; Mann # is HU 719/7x. Remember to use a VW 507.00 approved oil. From my experience, Pep Boys is the only auto parts chain that stocks VW 507.00 spec oil in their stores. That oil would be Mobil 1 ESP formula, 5w/30. As an alternative, there are online sources in the USA for 507.00 spec oil as well.

If someone has had a different experience, please post here and provide specifics (model, model year, engine code, vehicle build date)

Last edited by kjs16v; December 26th, 2011 at 12:55.
kjs16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 20:40   #4
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Mileage...
I just got a 2010 JSW TDI.... what is "normal mileage"... On my first full tank fill up (second fill up after I got the car)... I got 39.8 MPG... I do a lot of freeway; the speed limit is 70, and every one does 80 mph... I tend to stay in the right lane and do 70-75 mph... I'm guessing those speeds are not ideal. I have not checked the tires yet but assume the standard 35psi is good enough?

Oil changes..
The dealer chargers less than $50 I recall. I was shocked. I thought it would be more. For that price might as well let them do it. May be this is a special price since it is under the 24Mo/24K CPO warranty. Being a CPO car, it just had engine and DSG oil changed, so I don't have to worry about it for awhile... Are folks going the full 10K between engine and filter changes?
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 17:37   #5
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 33mpg

Here are some handy links to bookmark, especially for non-engine-specific items:

VWVortex Mk6 Golf DIY thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...DIY-FAQ-Thread

VWVortex Sportwagen DIY thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...DIY-FAQ-Thread

VWVortex Mk5 DIY thread:
(may apply to SOME parts of our Sportwagens, which are Mk5-chassis-based)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...and-DIY-Thread

VWVortex Ross-tech Mk6 handy coding tweaks:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4743553
Old May 22nd, 2013, 18:42   #6
soINtdi

Fuel Economy: 38 Winter, 41summer

Well it took less than a month for my daughter to break the vent controls in the center console. Anyone had to pull take it apart yet? It's different from the mkv because it has the 110v plug in. It's got a slot at the top that was flexing with a flathead. Didn't pop off and I didn't want to keep flexing it. I pulled on the cover lid thing that conceals it normally and it came off. I was hoping to get to some screws behind it like the mkv. doesn't have any visible screws... I'll post pictures and links or updates when I get it. I've learned so much from these forums that I'd love to give some back.
soINtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 19:07   #7
redveedub87

Fuel Economy: 43.7mpg

Does anyone recommend running a fuel additive? If so which one? I also have questions about the VCDS. How do I go about getting it?

Last edited by redveedub87; October 1st, 2013 at 19:18. Reason: Additional question
redveedub87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:01   #8
bobt2382
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

Fuel Economy: 46.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveedub87 View Post
Does anyone recommend running a fuel additive? If so which one? I also have questions about the VCDS. How do I go about getting it?
Many owners use a Fuel additive as a preventative measure to "protect" the HPFP by increasing the lubricity of our diesel fuel. I use Optilube XPD or their summer blend. It can be purchased over the internet. Their are many opinions on which one to use.

VCDS can be purchased directly from RossTech. Many members here are willing to help you out with theirs. I bought one before I actually took possession of my car. I have used it quite a bit.
2010 4D CWhite Golf TDI, 6 sp manual, Fluidampr, Bixenons, Rear Airbags, RNS-510, Dynaudio, DieselGeek SS & P2015 bracket, Force Fed Eng. Shifter Bushings. XB,UB, & RB UNIbraces; TyrolSport Brake Caliper Bushing, 2Micron Contain/PureFlow kits & timing belt cover, PolarFis MFD module, Euro light switch, R Red LED Tail Lights,Under Seat Drawers, Full color MFD cluster.
bobt2382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 17:50   #9
redveedub87

Fuel Economy: 43.7mpg

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 18:40   #10
rbsmith6

Fuel Economy: first 2 tanks 41.5

I'm unable to register for VWVortex. Any ideas?
rbsmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:58   #11
Itsnotme1988

Plan to pick up a MkVI JSW within a years time and was wondering if it would be ill advixed to add 1qt of engine oil to the fuel as additive? I do this in my 6.5L GMC K1500 to protect the injeciton pump. I have a few cases of old SH rated 20w50 and 5w30 and it's the only actually "use" I've come across.

Anyone recommend a buyers guide and things to look out for?

Owned a 2004 MkIV Jetta and horrible luck with that so I am a little apprehensive...
Itsnotme1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:10   #12
djali79

I live in the midwest, and have rotated between the white (winter) and gray (summer) Power Service additives. Not sure which brand is the best, they have worked well for me overall. That being said, I've still had 3 instances of "hydro-lock". Each time, I have run the risk by continued cranking. The last two I've done with jumper cables since the engine would not turn.

I'm not sure if any additive would have prevented these from happening - from what I've read, it's a design flaw with the intercooler.
djali79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 10:42   #13
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by soINtdi View Post
Well it took less than a month for my daughter to break the vent controls in the center console. Anyone had to pull take it apart yet? It's different from the mkv because it has the 110v plug in. It's got a slot at the top that was flexing with a flathead. Didn't pop off and I didn't want to keep flexing it. I pulled on the cover lid thing that conceals it normally and it came off. I was hoping to get to some screws behind it like the mkv. doesn't have any visible screws... I'll post pictures and links or updates when I get it. I've learned so much from these forums that I'd love to give some back.
mine is probably very different than yours but when I pulled out my 110v inverter the vent grills came off while dissasembling. kids broke out slats on mine also. mine came apart easily, I explained it here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=393656
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 14:26   #14
MrsTipton

Angry I'm the new teacher ;-)

I've had my 2013 Sportwagen TDI since 8/26/13 and already have over 14K miles on it. It is a wonderful vehicle. I'm about to go from San Francisco area to San Diego, and I look forward to a comfortable and affordable drive.

So here's my concern/beef/irritating occurrence. The dealership was so confident that I could tow with my new SW that they GAVE me an installed trailer hitch and a 5 year/100K warranty. Less than one week after buying, I find out that I CANNOT tow because mine has the 6 speed automatic. :-| I bought the vehicle to pull a small Aliner camper trailer.

Now that I've stopped crying intermittently, can some one tell me if they have had problem-free towing of 1800 lb. loads? If not, I'll put away my kleenex and buy a tent, but as an old widow lady with a big dog, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Any input?

Okay, sorry about using the emoticons. I won't do it again...

Last edited by MrsTipton; July 8th, 2014 at 14:27. Reason: emoticons showed up as links
MrsTipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:10   #15
chasda

This is my first post, I have a 2012 Golf TDI 38K miles. I'm getting ready to do my 40k service, which I will do some of it myself since the free service is over. Oil and filter, air filter, cabin filter are no problem. I will have someone do the DSG service. My question is about the fuel filter, removing and replacing are no problem, but from what I read, you need to have a VCSD tool? to connect to the cars computer and prime the fuel pumps or jump them manually. Is this really necessary or can I just fill the canister with fuel and crank it over?
chasda is offline   Reply With Quote