01 Jetta starts & immediately stalls. - intermittent problem

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
i just put on a new fuel filter about 5K ago, i see no air bubbles in the clear line, and no fuel leakage on the pump. could it get air bubbles in the injection line? that is what i am assuming until i ran across this thread.

BeetleDad

TDI
2001 VW Beetle
Missing Relay 109

Hi.
I recently bought a used 2001 NB for my daughter...It had multiple small issues that needed to be repairs...mostly interior broken switches.
I needed to replace the Wiper Switch mounted on the right side of the steering column. We disconnected the battery and shorted the leads to each other to remove any stray voltage. Removed the gauge cluster, airbag and steering wheel and replaced the switch..ALL WENT WELL.
Once we reconnected the battery and now the car won't run. It starts as others have stated but stalls after about a second.
I've traced all the power coming into the gauge cluster from the fuse panel...12.5 volts on each...No issues there...
Was concidering replacing the gauge cluster until I read about the RELAY 109.
Unfortunately I can not find a RELAY 109...It's supposed to be under the dash in the #12 relay spot...NOTHING is there. I've looked all over under there as well as on the fire wall above the engine where I've seen others suggest.
Anyone have any other ideas???
Thanks any help.
Kevin

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Once we reconnected the battery and now the car won't run. It starts as others have stated but stalls after about a second.
Do you get the immobilizer symbol on the dash (yellow car w/ a key at the bottom)

Unfortunately I can not find a RELAY 109...It's supposed to be under the dash in the #12 relay spot...NOTHING is there. I've looked all over under there as well as on the fire wall above the engine where I've seen others suggest.
On my car relay 109 is not visible until you remove another larger relay. It's relay 377 (wiper/washer intermittent relay) that has to be removed first.

BeetleDad

TDI
2001 VW Beetle
No, my gauge cluster is completely blank...It worked when I drove it into the driveway...now it seems dead...no lights nothing at all...I have removed the bigger relay 377 and the 109 is simply not there...no socket for it either.

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
touching battery cables together=ctrl+alt+del......fixed many electrical issues doing that,specially on the newer cars with 40 plus ecms using can-network wiring

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
No, my gauge cluster is completely blank...It worked when I drove it into the driveway...now it seems dead...no lights nothing at all.
So you first turn on the key and you get no lights on the dash, do you get the 'ding' sound?
And then you turn the key, the car cranks, starts, and then stalls... all still with the dash blank?

BeetleDad

TDI
2001 VW Beetle
I tried the TOUCHING the BATTERY CABLES Together trick this morning...no good.

Exactly...A week ago the dash gauge worked find...now it's completely blank. No lights, no ding sounds, no gas level on the gauge nothing...and Yes, I can turn the key, the car cranks, starts and the stalls...and the gauges stay blank.

The MITCHELL Repair diagram which pretty closely matches the Haynes Repair Manual except that the Mitchell gives the exact pin designations shows me that Fuse 11 (5amp), Fuse 15 (5amp) and Fuse 37 (10amp) all service the gauge package...Thru pins 1, 23 & 30 on the blue pin connector respectively I've checked all three fuses as will as checking the voltage at each pin...12.1 - 12.5 volts...So I know I have power going into the gauges...

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
No sure if related but--with only a cold engine, my 02 jetta gas, starts but will stall randomly or feels like it slips into neutral when accelerating from a stop (automatic). You really cannot accelerate for a second or two or it may stall. It starts no problem from stall. Now, after the engine has been running for 10 min, none of this happens while driving. No codes or lights show.

Any ideas?:confused: