www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old October 20th, 2019, 17:01   #1
nathanso

Default GSW shock upgrade: Koni Yellow, Koni Special Active, or Bilstein B6?

I'm considering replacing the stock shocks on my 2015 GSW TDI S that currently has 60K miles. I'm retaining the original springs since I'm not interested in lowering the car at all due to our poorly maintained roads here in Norcal and unrelated clearance issues. However, I would appreciate a firmer/sportier ride that is less prone to drama on sharp undulations in the roadway.. without being uncomfortably harsh for daily driving, of course.
I'd be interested in hearing from TDI Clubbers who have direct experience with any of these replacement shocks on their GSW TDI.
nathanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 17:13   #2
allenazali

Default This thread was helpful to me

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=486577
Old October 23rd, 2019, 07:40   #3
ssalaun

Fuel Economy: 44.361
Default Shocks GSW 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanso View Post
I'm considering replacing the stock shocks on my 2015 GSW TDI S that currently has 60K miles. I'm retaining the original springs since I'm not interested in lowering the car at all due to our poorly maintained roads here in Norcal and unrelated clearance issues. However, I would appreciate a firmer/sportier ride that is less prone to drama on sharp undulations in the roadway.. without being uncomfortably harsh for daily driving, of course.
I'd be interested in hearing from TDI Clubbers who have direct experience with any of these replacement shocks on their GSW TDI.
on my 2015 GSW TDI, with 115,000 miles, I kept the original shocks and used a set of H&R to lower the car about 1 1/2" down. I also run 18" cookie cutter wheels from my old 2009 GTI. The ride is very close to stock, not too firm, the car handle well and sticks to the pavement.
I also tow a trailer every so often and fully loaded car & trailer lowers the car very little. I personally like those stock shock/H&R combo better and also run them on my Z3 M with same great handling result. Not much lower, just enough to notice.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 08:56   #4
thundershorts
Veteran Member

My golf S with stock boge/sachs became a different car going from the 16" wheels to 18" Austins with mich as3+ rubber. Changing shocks may disappoint you without addressing tires/wheels. I would suggest you think about upgrading those first and you will find your car will be totally different in handling/ride, perhaps more what you are looking for.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 19:25   #5
jtree

I recently switched to Koni red shocks, special active something, anyway they are nice.
I live in Mexico City and had H&R sport spring which I liked but had to switch back to stock after too many scrapes on so many topes. Oh and sticky tires make the best difference, I run 18 inch 235 wide Continental Extreme contact sport as I hate slowing for corners.
jtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 19:31   #6
jtree

Also I recommend a rear sway bar.
jtree is offline   Reply With Quote