GSW shock upgrade: Koni Yellow, Koni Special Active, or Bilstein B6?

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
I'm considering replacing the stock shocks on my 2015 GSW TDI S that currently has 60K miles. I'm retaining the original springs since I'm not interested in lowering the car at all due to our poorly maintained roads here in Norcal and unrelated clearance issues. However, I would appreciate a firmer/sportier ride that is less prone to drama on sharp undulations in the roadway.. without being uncomfortably harsh for daily driving, of course.
I'd be interested in hearing from TDI Clubbers who have direct experience with any of these replacement shocks on their GSW TDI.

ssalaun

TDI
Sportwagen S 2015
Shocks GSW 2015

I'm considering replacing the stock shocks on my 2015 GSW TDI S that currently has 60K miles. I'm retaining the original springs since I'm not interested in lowering the car at all due to our poorly maintained roads here in Norcal and unrelated clearance issues. However, I would appreciate a firmer/sportier ride that is less prone to drama on sharp undulations in the roadway.. without being uncomfortably harsh for daily driving, of course.
I'd be interested in hearing from TDI Clubbers who have direct experience with any of these replacement shocks on their GSW TDI.
on my 2015 GSW TDI, with 115,000 miles, I kept the original shocks and used a set of H&R to lower the car about 1 1/2" down. I also run 18" cookie cutter wheels from my old 2009 GTI. The ride is very close to stock, not too firm, the car handle well and sticks to the pavement.
I also tow a trailer every so often and fully loaded car & trailer lowers the car very little. I personally like those stock shock/H&R combo better and also run them on my Z3 M with same great handling result. Not much lower, just enough to notice.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
My golf S with stock boge/sachs became a different car going from the 16" wheels to 18" Austins with mich as3+ rubber. Changing shocks may disappoint you without addressing tires/wheels. I would suggest you think about upgrading those first and you will find your car will be totally different in handling/ride, perhaps more what you are looking for.

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
I recently switched to Koni red shocks, special active something, anyway they are nice.
I live in Mexico City and had H&R sport spring which I liked but had to switch back to stock after too many scrapes on so many topes. Oh and sticky tires make the best difference, I run 18 inch 235 wide Continental Extreme contact sport as I hate slowing for corners.

5by50

TDI
2015 VW GSW TDI S
Part Number 8245 1326 rear Koni Special Active shocks did not fit. Am I missing something?.

2015 GSW TDI S