www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old October 5th, 2019, 13:55   #1
JSWThinker

Default 2015 Golf TDI SportWagen S, 6M - Air Conditioning Not Blowing Cold Enough...

Low pressure side shows within spec.

I've been reading a few different things about common issues where the AC doesn't blow cold enough on these cars. I did not do a delta on input/output... but I can assure you, not even close.

Is there a known issue that may be more common than another?

Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Pete
Old October 5th, 2019, 19:11   #2
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Air bubble in freon?
Old October 6th, 2019, 02:03   #3
Ooga

Air bubble in the freon is not a thing..at least it the household/commercial area....that i am aware of.

Im really curious about the air in/out temps you are getting. Also, did this problem just start or has it always been this way? I can't comment on common issues with this vehicles A/C but I do work in the industry but not on the vehicle side. I'm always glad to help if i can.
Ooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 18:06   #4
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Make sure your car is set to Hot Country. And otherwise, I’d definitely bring it to an AC shop.

My Golf’s AC is definitely strong enough to get uncomfortably cold even after sitting on a muggy 100į+ day.

Nothing compares to my Volvo which I’m pretty sure could freeze ice.
2010 VW Jetta TDI Buyback
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 06:32   #5
740GLE
Veteran Member

could be low on R134a, could be RCV valve and could be hot country no being set, but my guess is the first two.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 07:50   #6
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

We replaced the compressor in our 10 JSW this summer. Glad we got to it before summer refused to leave the Carolinas.
Old October 7th, 2019, 10:22   #7
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Isn't there some kind of TSB for the RCV valve? If anyone has a reference please post it because I realized that mine is doing the exact same thing. It blows cool but not cold. It just barely, kind of almost keeps up on a typical 85 F summer day in New England. It sounds very similar to what the OP has for an issue. Although I just realized his is a 2015 and mine is a 2014 so its a different platform.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 10:28   #8
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Yes, there is a TSB. The distillation of it is: replace the RCV. In some instances, they get a new compressor, but that is if the poor cooling is accompanied by a noise.

But I agree on the A7 Golfs you need to make sure the Hot Country is coded in the Climate module, evidently some were not coded correctly.
Old October 7th, 2019, 11:56   #9
JSWThinker

Thanks for all the replies!

The AC was never "very good" -- but it has gotten much worse.

I can measure delta, but I assure you, nothing like it should be.

I'm interested in the "Hot Country" thing. The car was a 2015 that was bough in 2017 after DieselGate (I sold back my 2014 TDI)... the car came from Colorado (I had it trucked)... and I always wondered if that had anything to do with it. I live in South Florida.

Do I need an ODB-Eleven to to deal with that? Is that really a feasible issue?

@ 85f ambient temp the low side pressure was at the high-side of the range (range is 45-55, mine was 55).

The compressor sounds to be turning on and off... but again, if you guide me, I can triple check and report back.
Old October 7th, 2019, 12:09   #10
oilhammer

The compressor has no clutch, so it is always spinning. The RCV controls (via duty cycle) the amount of displacement the compressor has, which varies from 0% to 100%.

All US-spec vehicles will be equipped for both hot and cold climates, if there is a setting or equipment that dictates such, because we have both. Volkswagen does not make "regional" spec cars. Canada may only get cold country, and Mexico may only get hot country, but we get both (if that makes any sense).

You will need an appropriate VAG-capable scan tool to verify the coding of the Climate module. You will also need same for verification of compressor command, duty, and pressure. However, given the now decade+ issue of dealing with RCVs in all kinds of compressors, I would say more than likely that is the source of the issue.

I feel like the process by which the components of the A/C system are manufactured and cleaned before assembly is much to blame, as small particles get lodged in the RCV's tiny orifices and screen, and make it stick not allowing full displacement stroke of the compressor, and thus slow to cool and poor cooling in general. Because most of the time, like 95% of the time, once the car's original RCV (and related manufacturing leftovers trapped within) is replaced, that car's system works fine and will continue to do so.

So again, without overthinking this, scan tool ---> verify coding, check pressure (scan tool pressure, I do not care what a gauge says) and command (if you want, since you really won't know exactly what you are looking at, you can always do a before and after), then replace the RCV.
Old October 7th, 2019, 12:17   #11
JSWThinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The compressor has no clutch, so it is always spinning. The RCV controls (via duty cycle) the amount of displacement the compressor has, which varies from 0% to 100%.
All US-spec vehicles will be equipped for both hot and cold climates, if there is a setting or equipment that dictates such, because we have both. Volkswagen does not make "regional" spec cars. Canada may only get cold country, and Mexico may only get hot country, but we get both (if that makes any sense).
You will need an appropriate VAG-capable scan tool to verify the coding of the Climate module. You will also need same for verification of compressor command, duty, and pressure. However, given the now decade+ issue of dealing with RCVs in all kinds of compressors, I would say more than likely that is the source of the issue.
I feel like the process by which the components of the A/C system are manufactured and cleaned before assembly is much to blame, as small particles get lodged in the RCV's tiny orifices and screen, and make it stick not allowing full displacement stroke of the compressor, and thus slow to cool and poor cooling in general. Because most of the time, like 95% of the time, once the car's original RCV (and related manufacturing leftovers trapped within) is replaced, that car's system works fine and will continue to do so.
So again, without overthinking this, scan tool ---> verify coding, check pressure (scan tool pressure, I do not care what a gauge says) and command (if you want, since you really won't know exactly what you are looking at, you can always do a before and after), then replace the RCV.
Sounds like a great plan. I'm assuming an old fashioned ODB2 tool isn't going to do squat compared to the ODB Eleven, correct?
Old October 8th, 2019, 08:28   #12
740GLE
Veteran Member

odb eleven and vcds would be the best to invest in.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 12:56   #13
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Good to know that the compressor is always spinning. Now I don’t have to feel guilty about always leaving it on even when it’s colder outside.

Quote:
Canada may only get cold country, and Mexico may only get hot country, but we get both (if that makes any sense).
Are you sure about this for the MK7?

Mine was originally sold in Florida, and while Hot Country was enabled by default, mine does not have the electric auxiliary heater.

Last edited by JM Popaleetus; October 8th, 2019 at 12:58.
Old October 8th, 2019, 13:01   #14
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Popaleetus View Post
Good to know that the compressor is always spinning. Now I donít have to feel guilty about always leaving it on even when itís colder outside.

Are you sure about this for the MK7?

Mine was originally sold in Florida, and while Hot Country was enabled by default, mine does not have the electric auxiliary heater.
And ALH cars didn't get the Webasto fuel fired heater like the extreme Northern countries had access to. I guess VAG's definition of hot and cold vary, but none of the A7 TDIs got the electric heater, as I assume they felt it was not necessary or (more likely) they were trying to save a few bucks.

But as I said, US spec cars are US spec cars. Period. There is no variation. The cars sold new in Florida are the exact same as the cars sold new in Wisconsin.
Old October 8th, 2019, 13:07   #15
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
...none of the A7 TDIs got the electric heater, as I assume they felt it was not necessary or (more likely) they were trying to save a few bucks.

But as I said, US spec cars are US spec cars. Period. There is no variation. The cars sold new in Florida are the exact same as the cars sold new in Wisconsin.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=495374

Couple people claimed to have it installed, which is why I asked you, that’s all.