www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old October 1st, 2019, 20:54   #1
bigb
Veteran Member

Default Fuel additives?

Does anyone use them, are they not recommended? I am specifically referring to Opti-Lube XPD for lubricity and maybe a cetane booster like Stanadyne Performance. I run them in my old Powerstroke since ULSD started, the Stanadyne Performace does nothing for lubricity thus the Optilube which I have used in every tank. What do you use in cold climates for gelling?
Old October 1st, 2019, 21:00   #2
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Additives have been debated to death since 2009 on this forum.

Do a Google search for “TDIClub” + “Additives”.

Cliff notes are 2.5% Biodiesel if possible, and White Diesel Kleen if you have winter gelling issues.
2010 VW Jetta TDI Buyback
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 07:41   #3
bigb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Popaleetus View Post
Additives have been debated to death since 2009 on this forum.

Do a Google search for “TDIClub” + “Additives”.

Cliff notes are 2.5% Biodiesel if possible, and White Diesel Kleen if you have winter gelling issues.
Will do, on the 2.5% biodiesel are you saying to try and get a little in there or limit it to a max of 2.5%? It was my understanding that it was best to avoid any biofuel altogether if possible which I have been doing.
Old October 2nd, 2019, 12:47   #4
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Will do, on the 2.5% biodiesel are you saying to try and get a little in there or limit it to a max of 2.5%? It was my understanding that it was best to avoid any biofuel altogether if possible which I have been doing.
Anything up to B5 (5%) is perfectly fine. Concentrations up to 20% are okay only if it’s a mandated concentration in your state.

Years ago, someone here posted a study that showed that a concentration of at least 2.5% offered the best lubricity protection.
2010 VW Jetta TDI Buyback
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 15:38   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I generally try and use diesel that has 5% or less in the mix. My normal fueling station near my house has this. There is a new thread on a new lubricity additive and I am trying it. The test document shows it has very, very good lubricity properties. I have tried many including Optilube and Standyne but haven't continued as there doesn't seem to be a real need, especially if you have some small percent bio in the mix. Here is the thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=502115

Generally additives aren't needed but some still use them and some swear by them. Really, really cold weather is one of the real legitimate reason for using an additive. If you have water in your fuel you need to find another fuel source. I have never found water in my fuel in the 15 years I have been driving these. Lubricity and cetane seem to be adequate for the job from the testing that Infineum does. It doesn't test enough to be a really good indicator but it is encouraging.

Whatever you choose to use you won't notice any difference and will probably need a lab to tell if you are getting the benefit you expect.
Old October 2nd, 2019, 18:19   #6
bigb
Veteran Member

Thanks both of you for the informative replies. I read the thread on the new Hotshot additive and will follow it. Curious how do you actually know if it is doing anything or not?
Old October 2nd, 2019, 18:36   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You personally probably won't know. Like I said it will more than likely take lab testing to know anything for sure. You just have to look at their data and take it for granted it is helping. Maybe you might hear some difference but I haven't so far. Noticed no changes at all. Doesn't mean it hasn't worked though. I will finish the bottle and then determine whether I want to continue or not.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 03:35   #8
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Optilube XPD in every tank of all the VW TDI vehicles I have owned.

Local Citgo station where I normally fuel is also 5% bio.
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 07:18   #9
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

PowerService white bottle, I use in every tank on both TDIs. Keeps water from sticking around which is the real death of the fuel pumps. Also peace of mind fuel gelling prevention in the winters.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 08:15   #10
CheapBastard
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 JSW
Fuel Economy: 30

I run lubricant in every fill because of the fuel pump issues, I figure if it does any good that it’s cheap maintenance/insurance
CheapBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 10:00   #11
740GLE
Veteran Member

I used to run PS gray or white pretty religiously, as well as driving out off my way for B5.

Since about 2014 I've just stuck with local Irving's (zero bio blend, local refinery) and haven't had any issues. PS white is only used for fuel filter change outs and occasional early season cold snaps.

I'd put more concern at your filling stations and fuel source than bio/additive blends.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 13:49   #12
thundershorts
Veteran Member

In Pennsylvania b5 is the mandate. In addition we have the highest diesel fuel tax of any state.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 14:12   #13
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundershorts View Post
In Pennsylvania b5 is the mandate. In addition we have the highest diesel fuel tax of any state.
Which has nothing to do with this thread.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 19:09   #14
pebjr
Veteran Member

I use this on a regular basis o both TDIs and never had an issue..

https://www.wynnsusa.com/product/pre...uel-treatment/
pebjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 21:16   #15
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Really no point in continuing to post what you use. There are already many, many threads here with exactly the same info posted. 100 more posts of "I use this" won't change anything.