www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 13th, 2019, 06:56   #31
eagle
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta

Based on what I see in the computer so far, I expect this tank's fuel economy to be no different than the previous 2 tanks: 24.5 mpg.

So, it appears that my car's problem is not the fuel filter.

At this point I'm not sure what else to look at.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 07:48   #32
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Find someone to check your DPF for soot and ash load. Sounds like your car is using too much fuel in regens. Do you ever notice a rough idle at slightly higher RPM when sitting at a light? Or having the fans run at higher speed after shutting down? Also the burning rubber/rotten egg smell from under the hood. All of these are indications that your cars is doing a regen. Unless all of your miles are highway, you should have noticed at least one of these.

I have the VCDS but no working windows laptop, so can't really help you from Charlotte.
Old August 13th, 2019, 07:54   #33
eagle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Find someone to check your DPF for soot and ash load. Sounds like your car is using too much fuel in regens. Do you ever notice a rough idle at slightly higher RPM when sitting at a light? Or having the fans run at higher speed after shutting down? Also the burning rubber/rotten egg smell from under the hood. All of these are indications that your cars is doing a regen. Unless all of your miles are highway, you should have noticed at least one of these.
I don't know that I have noticed rough/higher idle at a light, but will start to look for that. I have definitely noticed the high-speed fan running for minutes after shutting down. I wondered what that was; it would make sense that it was regens -- I wondered when my car would be doing that. I think I noticed the smell, and wondered what that was too.

It could also be partly due to my tires, which are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I absolutely loved them on my 1.8T, which had the same 225/45-17 size, so I put them on here. Maybe that was a mistake, economy-wise, but they sure are fun to drive.

Quote:
I have the VCDS but no working windows laptop, so can't really help you from Charlotte.
Thanks. I do have a friend around here with one of those, and I'll see about that soon.

---

Edited to add: Maybe it really is just my commute, which is a mere 5.4 miles and 14 minutes.

Last edited by eagle; August 13th, 2019 at 08:02. Reason: Added comment about commute
Old August 13th, 2019, 09:22   #34
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Your commute also kind of points to regen issues as short tripping all the time never lets it complete one. If you are short tripping it pays to take an active role in ensuring that you let them complete when they happen. VCDS or VagDPF will be needed or something similar or paying close attention to accomplish this.
Old August 13th, 2019, 09:27   #35
eagle
Veteran Member

Maybe I shouldn't have bought a TDI. I live near everything I do, and my 5-mile commute is the longest distance I drive in any given week.
Old August 13th, 2019, 09:54   #36
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Yep, not ideal use for one. Which, ironically, makes me wonder why you'd be complaining of poor fuel mileage, since you hardly drive anywhere anyway. I mean, heck, you could be driving a V10 Excursion and it wouldn't be a huge deal, LOL.
Old August 13th, 2019, 10:19   #37
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

A long ways back someone here pointed out that tdi's weren't for sale on some small island(s) due to this. It would be difficult to actually drive there enough to accomplish the regens when needed, without taking special actions to let them happen. At 5 miles you should have been considering an all electric car. They shine for that kind of driving. You do seem to have picked the wrong tool for the job though.
Old August 13th, 2019, 12:17   #38
Mike14VW

TDI(s): 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
A long ways back someone here pointed out that tdi's weren't for sale on some small island(s) due to this. It would be difficult to actually drive there enough to accomplish the regens when needed, without taking special actions to let them happen. At 5 miles you should have been considering an all electric car. They shine for that kind of driving. You do seem to have picked the wrong tool for the job though.
So, I've been hearing this about the tdi's regen cycle and short distances
..... is there any magic number of say non-stop driving miles one should drive daily for this not to be an issue..
I see this is a loaded question because of all the variables. I drive daily 2miles back roads, 13 miles highway (65 mph) and half a mile to the parking garage. Followed by the same routine in reverse back home. Is this trip sufficient for the health of the tdi's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Mike14VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 14:26   #39
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

The only requirement is that they complete when needed. About every 200 to 300 miles depending on your driving. Short tripping will happen earlier than long distance highway driving. I use the VAGDPF app to monitor mine and they kick off when the soot level gets to 23.4 grams and shut down around 4 grams IIRC. Sometimes you can notice as the idle will be at 1000 rpms instead of around 800 rpms. Hard to do by just paying attention though. If one is running I just keep driving until it completes. They generally last about 10 minutes total if all is working well. If you never let them complete it will eventually shut down on you and require the dealer to do a forced regen. At some point even that isn't possible and replacement has to be done. The majority of people won't have an issue as it will try again next drive cycle. But if you are always short tripping they will never complete. A longer drive now and then when needed is all that it would require. You just have to be able to tell when one is needed to keep it happy.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; August 13th, 2019 at 14:31.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 19:00   #40
Mike14VW

TDI(s): 2014

Thanks lightflyer, ur highly knowledgeable!

Mike14VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 04:23   #41
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Yes, so long as it DOES get a chance to run and successfully complete now and then, it should not be a problem. So, shorter trips during the week coupled with a longer drive every weekend should be fine.

Keep in mind though, post fix cars are going to require more regens, in addition to the already fragile and finicky control system made even worse, so don't be surprised that what was working fine before the fix no longer works now. Which is why the tuners and deleters are having so much business now. Ironic since the whole deal was to try and make clean running cars that were dirty run clean, and now they run so poorly that people make them REALLY run dirty. But whatever.
Old August 14th, 2019, 06:36   #42
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike14VW View Post
Thanks lightflyer, ur highly knowledgeable!

Just been reading here for some time. Lots of info here.
Old August 14th, 2019, 07:57   #43
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike14VW View Post
So, I've been hearing this about the tdi's regen cycle and short distances
..... is there any magic number of say non-stop driving miles one should drive daily for this not to be an issue..
I see this is a loaded question because of all the variables. I drive daily 2miles back roads, 13 miles highway (65 mph) and half a mile to the parking garage. Followed by the same routine in reverse back home. Is this trip sufficient for the health of the tdi's?

From my experience, the regens usually start when I pull into the garage or parking space at work. I could have just completed a 400 mile day and it still seems to want to start an active regen just as I'm shutting it down. I know, it's all timing and this would not have been the first one of the day. If I notice it starting at a light or slower traffic, I'll kick the tranny over to manual and keep the rpms higher for a few extra miles.
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:05   #44
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
From my experience, the regens usually start when I pull into the garage or parking space at work. I could have just completed a 400 mile day and it still seems to want to start an active regen just as I'm shutting it down.
So true. And so annoying. If I catch it I'll let the car idle for a few minutes, unless I can't because of time or location. I keep telling myself that VW designed the system to accommodate these driving and stopping conditions and it should be fine, but it still bugs me.

What bugs me more is if it starts a regen at the end of a longer drive, but then when I get in to drive a short distance it tries again, and again, and again.
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:09   #45
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

That is why vagdpf is a good idea. At least you can see where it is at in its cycle and if one is coming due. I have an old android phone that is dedicated for just this one thing. Assuming you can find a version of the cars that works for you. The app owner is across the pond and not all US models are supported, but some still work.