www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old September 28th, 2019, 18:06   #16
armyschus
Veteran Member

Check out Kerma TDI. I installed these headlights in my 2015 Golf S TDI. fairly simple installation and I like the result.

https://www.kermatdi.com/i-806-golf-...7Cmodel%3DGOLF
Old October 2nd, 2019, 15:43   #17
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyschus View Post
Check out Kerma TDI. I installed these headlights in my 2015 Golf S TDI. fairly simple installation and I like the result.

https://www.kermatdi.com/i-806-golf-...7Cmodel%3DGOLF
Pretty sure those are the same as the "old" (pre-facelift-look) Golf R replicas that Ed (becautoparts.com) also sells.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 16:23   #18
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: In the sig

Those Osram headlights look sweet honestly, and LED tends to have an easier time with vibrations than HIDs from what I have read. Also LEDs have less to install compared to HIDs like my kit does. More plug and play than HIDs. Mine was plug and play, but a few more plugs lol.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 19:02   #19
aditud
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Pretty sure those are the same as the "old" (pre-facelift-look) Golf R replicas that Ed (becautoparts.com) also sells.
I have had (since February 2016) those (R-style). I even swapped them from my former GSW (went to VW in the buyback) to my new stop-sale GSW. Still going strong. No issues.

I just wish I found a way to swap the H7 halogens in the high beam projectors with some white light emitting halogens. I have the Morimoto 5500K HIDs in the outer projectors (work as bi-xenons), so when I switch to high beam you definitely notice the yellow light coming of the Osram Nightbreakers H7's. Of course, the xenons far outshine the halogens but the night breakers are strong enough that you clearly notice the yellowish light they emit. I recall it was easy to put the osrams in, the housings came with some cheap halogens in the high beams from becautoparts, so I got rid of those. Now I want to replace the osrams with some white emitting Hella Optilux or something like that. They have great reviews and apparently they really do put out white light.

The problem is I don't want to remove the housings to do it. I unscrewed the lids but all I can see/feel are some electrical circuits, no knob/tab that you can just twist to remove the bulb. I tried to find some DIY stuff about this online on forums or youtube but failed. I hope it can be done without taking the housings out.
aditud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 19:35   #20
Nuje
Veteran Member

Try sending Ed an email asking about how best to do a bulb swap; I've found him to be very responsive with questions.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit

Old October 2nd, 2019, 20:39   #21
aditud
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Try sending Ed an email asking about how best to do a bulb swap; I've found him to be very responsive with questions.
OK, I actually had not tried that until I saw your post . It's sometimes the obvious thing one misses.
Old October 4th, 2019, 04:28   #22
aditud
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditud View Post
OK, I actually had not tried that until I saw your post . It's sometimes the obvious thing one misses.
Ed did reply pretty quickly and explained what to do, with photos. Great guy!

I replaced the bulbs yesterday, it's a pain in the butt 'cause there's not a lot of space to work in. Now the halogens do match the color of the HIDs.
Old October 4th, 2019, 11:51   #23
thundershorts
Veteran Member

The hylux hid's in 5000k are pure white and go well with the night breaker lazers in ed's lights.
Old October 4th, 2019, 12:58   #24
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditud View Post
Ed did reply pretty quickly and explained what to do, with photos. Great guy!
Yep - that's been my experience, too.

Old October 11th, 2019, 09:04   #25
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfBrown View Post
Those Osram headlights look sweet honestly, and LED tends to have an easier time with vibrations than HIDs from what I have read. Also LEDs have less to install compared to HIDs like my kit does. More plug and play than HIDs. Mine was plug and play, but a few more plugs lol.
The Osram lights are plug & play other than a wire that goes to the battery or fuse box. The LEDís come installed. Theyíre $799 Euros shipped from Germany.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2019, 11:20   #26
whizznbyu
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56 MPG at 60 MPH.

Ed's site has Hylux and Morimoto options for kits. Anyone have an opinion on which one is better? Or is it "you get what you pay for"?
whizznbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2019, 12:47   #27
Nuje
Veteran Member

I bought Morimoto from TheRetrofitSource once and they were...fine. I wasn't wowed by them - they still took a while (not near-instant like OEM HIDs are) to warm up. now, this was a few years ago, so maybe they've gotten better.

After that, on a different project, I purchased Hylux directly from Aliexpress in China (along with CNlight bulbs), and they're really good; no issues from my vantage point. I found them totally comparable with the Morimotos.

Having said all of that, I'd go for the Morimotos not because of quality, but because those are available with the 4500K bulbs. If you ever drive in rain, I find anything "whiter" (actually, they start getting blue-ish) than 5000K does not light up the road well. If you live in LA and treat rain like other places treat snow (i.e., you never drive in it), then fine - 5500K and 6000K are fine. But if you ever drive in rain...you want 4500K.

Last edited by Nuje; October 16th, 2019 at 12:49.
Old October 18th, 2019, 16:09   #28
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizznbyu View Post
Ed's site has Hylux and Morimoto options for kits. Anyone have an opinion on which one is better? Or is it "you get what you pay for"?
I got the Morimotor 5500k on my car. I had one of the CANBUS fail on me, but that was replaced with a new one in about a week after they restocked the item. Personally no complaints on them honestly. Other HIDs I have had work about the same. The other brand that I had more experience with was DDM Tuning. These I had no complaints, and on the 2 vehicles I had them on with over 50k worth of driving over the course of about 3 years, I had NO broken parts and NO issues. Keep in mind, one of these sets was in a 2013 GMC Sierra with some suspension work so flying down the washes of Ocotillo Wells in So Cal at 60+ mph did happen! The Morimotos might get to their optimal light a tad faster than the DDM tuning ones, but the difference would be under 1 second...

Both the truck and my car have 5500k lights. My older E36 BMW had something more blue in it, idk what is was, but it was stupid, back when I was stupid, still never had issues with em though. It is correct that white light tends to blind in dense fog or snow. Fog is what I usually deal with where I live, like rather dense stuff, as in cant see more than 10 feet in front of the car kinda stuff. The white can hamper some level of vision, but with projectors the light pattern as it is is more direct so there is less of a blinding happening than with reflector housings. I kept the stock fog flood lights as the halogen bulbs, for when it gets to be really dense with fog, they come in handy from time to time.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old October 22nd, 2019, 07:30   #29
whizznbyu
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56 MPG at 60 MPH.

Ed mentioned that the high beam bulb is halogen. I think he indicated that LED bulbs would not fit the halogen female part due to space constraints. Is this correct?
whizznbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 11:21   #30
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizznbyu View Post
Ed mentioned that the high beam bulb is halogen. I think he indicated that LED bulbs would not fit the halogen female part due to space constraints. Is this correct?

I cannot confirm not deny this from Ed. He will know more than I will. Honestly between the 5500k and the halogens that come in the units, I can hardly tell a difference. Isnít even worth the time for me to try and figure a perfect match, and Iím rather OCD, thatís how little itís different if at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE