www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old June 13th, 2017, 06:32   #31
RichF

It's been over 90 here the last 2 days, mine is blowing ice cold, also my widows are tinted so that helps a bit having the wagon.. No complaints
RichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 06:36   #32
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funguy View Post
I think so also. Could that be because of the new refrigerants?
Also everyone is "tweaking" the last drop of any improvement(s) - or compromises to get up to the next higher MPG on the MONRONEY.
NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 07:08   #33
demagxc
Veteran Member

There has been plenty of discussion about inconsistent AC systems over at vwvortex. If you have a VCDS you can check to see if you have "Hot Country" enabled. It seems like there are some cars sold that had it enabled and others that didnt. Reading through the thread below, people have reported getting cold air much faster after making the VCDS tweak.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-Country-quot

Instructions from the link above:

1) Open VCDS
2) Go To Select Modules
3) Under the "Installed Modules" window - select number 08 - Auto HVAC
4) After the control loads - select Coding - 07
5) Click the button for "Long Coding Helper"
6) Press Tab or arrow down key until you see "Byte 12" selected
7)Under the drop-down for "Bit 4-7" select "10 Temperature Adjustment: Cold (Hot Countires)"
8) In the top-left corner of the window - select the "Exit" menu item
9) Press the "Do It" button to save the new setting
10) If all goes well - you should see a popup "Coding Accepted"

I haven't done this myself or checked what my setting is since I am happy with how my AC performs. Might check just to see what my settings are just for kicks.
demagxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 07:58   #34
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demagxc View Post
There has been plenty of discussion about inconsistent AC systems over at vwvortex. If you have a VCDS you can check to see if you have "Hot Country" enabled. It seems like there are some cars sold that had it enabled and others that didnt. Reading through the thread below, people have reported getting cold air much faster after making the VCDS tweak.

1) Open VCDS
2) Go To Select Modules
7)Under the drop-down for "Bit 4-7" select "10 Temperature Adjustment: Cold (Hot Countires)"

I haven't done this myself or checked what my setting is since I am happy with how my AC performs. Might check just to see what my settings are just for kicks.
Good idea. Prior to reading your post, I was going to suggest attempting VCDS tweak of trying the VCDS tow setting as per the post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478382 It is understood that that energizes the radiator fan more which gets air moving across the condenser. The Hot Temp countries probably does the much the same.

The AC is less effective when the car is sitting still such as at a stop light because of the reduced air flow across the condenser. Add to that heat that it might pick up from the radiator and the decreased compressor speed = reduced efficiency.

Last edited by Bob S.; June 13th, 2017 at 09:01.
Bob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 10:23   #35
Funguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

demagxc: That is amazing. Has anyone here seen if that tweak works not just for cold faster but ultimately colder.?

Last edited by Funguy; June 13th, 2017 at 17:07.
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 13:24   #36
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:

1) Open VCDS
2) Go To Select Modules

Thanks for the info. Just checked both of my Washington DC area-purchased Mk7's and both were set to "00 Temperature Adjustment: Normal". I set both to "10 Temperature Adjustment: Cold (Hot Countries)" and will see how it goes. I rarely use A/C outside of June-August, so when I do use it, it is in a "hot country" situation.

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8, 600 lb/ft
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 17:06   #37
Funguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
Thanks for the info. Just checked both of my Washington DC area-purchased Mk7's and both were set to "00 Temperature Adjustment: Normal". I set both to "10 Temperature Adjustment: Cold (Hot Countries)" and will see how it goes. I rarely use A/C outside of June-August, so when I do use it, it is in a "hot country" situation.
I think I saw on the news that you are pretty hot there right now! I am hoping that this will be a solution. If it is, that would answer why there are so many different opinions on how well the A/C's on these cars are performing.
Old June 13th, 2017, 18:07   #38
Bob S.
Veteran Member

I ran a couple errands in the 15 GWS, S, 6M this evening. Where the car was parked in the shade, the ambient temperature was 92. With the air cond, w/ fan on full, in recirculating air mode, at idle, immediately after start, again with 2 minutes at idle, the center air dash vent ducts was putting out air about 30F lower than the air/surfaces in the car.

As I drove a bit, things got interesting. As I moved out to the higher temp areas, 94F per the MFD, at highway speed & the engine temp warmed up, 55+, the air outlet temp. remained at about the -30F temp differential.

When I moved the vent control from the vent only to the footwell/vent the temperature differential decreased slightly, to -31F (probably more air over the evaporator) & at one point -32F approaching Peter's MKIV.

When I got of the the limited access & hit the first stop light, the temp. differential steadily increased surpassingly fast. During the stop light cycle time, car stopped, engine at temp, mid 90F outside temp, with the vent in the vent/foot well mode, the air outlet temps increased 7F to 9F depending upon the stop light cycle. Put another way, with the engine hot, radiator hot, the car not moving, etc. the temp. drop differential decreased to about 20F to 22F. (I was reading 41F outlet temps when moving w/ 71 inside air temps. At the stop light, the outlet air typically when up to 50F). Moving away from the light, the air outlet temp slowly came down, much slower then it went up. Coasting & the car moving with minimal engine load helped the air temp decrease significantly.

So, as suspected air movement over the condenser is important on these cars. It would be wise to try the VCDS tweaking so that the rad. fans run more for air movement over the condenser, & probably help in hot conditions & in traffic, use hyper-muling techniques, see the light turning ahead, coast, engine brake into it to keep the car moving.

As an added note, radiant heat comes off the dash. As suggested elsewhere, a light colored dash cover might help,

Last edited by Bob S.; June 13th, 2017 at 18:25.
Bob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 18:18   #39
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I know this image is tiny, but for some reason I can only get it to show as a thumbnail.

What it shows is the temp in the vents of IBW while sitting in an 85 degree shop with the A/C on full. Air coming from the vents was about 36 degrees. After a little more tweaking Chill got it to 32 degrees.

Not sure you're talking about the same thing, Bob, but if so this is about a 50 degree drop compared to the temp in the car, which wasn't moving, engine was idling, and it never had a chance to cool down inside. Not sure if the GSW would be able to do something similar. I drove the car around this morning and it was 90 and sunny out. I kept the fan on 1 and had the vents pointed away from my face.

Last edited by IndigoBlueWagon; June 13th, 2017 at 18:24.
IndigoBlueWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 18:21   #40
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Good info, Bob. Thanks.

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8, 600 lb/ft
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 18:50   #41
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funguy View Post
Wow, 32 degrees!! I remember my sister's 78 honda civic would freeze up (literally a block of ice) if you set the compressor too cold! I liked that you could could actually adjust the compressor on those cars rather than now where the compressor cycles don't change and you have to introduce HEATED air if you are too cold. Seems wasteful. I end up doing what the previous poster said, turning the a/c on and off if it is too cold
Many modern air conditioning systems (including VWs with Climatronic) will reduce compressor load in most situations when the temperature setpoint is satisfied.
Old June 13th, 2017, 19:27   #42
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I know this image is tiny, but for some reason I can only get it to show as a thumbnail.

What it shows is the temp in the vents of IBW while sitting in an 85 degree shop with the A/C on full. Air coming from the vents was about 36 degrees. After a little more tweaking Chill got it to 32 degrees.

Not sure you're talking about the same thing, Bob, but if so this is about a 50 degree drop compared to the temp in the car, which wasn't moving, engine was idling, and it never had a chance to cool down inside. Not sure if the GSW would be able to do something similar. I drove the car around this morning and it was 90 and sunny out. I kept the fan on 1 and had the vents pointed away from my face.

Now that is an impressive drop! Flash freezing. I don't think the MK7 will ever get close to that.

In other venues and cars, people have installed (usually 12VDC pilot solenoid) valves to block/stop water flow to the heater core in summer time to increase the AC efficiency. Hopefully, that level is not needed in the MK7.
Old June 13th, 2017, 19:52   #43
Funguy
Veteran Member

Nice research guys. If we had guys like you designing our cars they would be way better than they are now.

Dad didn't get his car back yet so still nothing to report except that the shop felt that the refrigerant was a bit low. I told Dad to ask them on Wednesday whether the car is set for hot country and if that would help. I expect them to say......Huh What?

Does that setting merely run the cooling fan more or does it somehow directly affect the A/C cycle?
Old June 13th, 2017, 19:54   #44
Funguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Many modern air conditioning systems (including VWs with Climatronic) will reduce compressor load in most situations when the temperature setpoint is satisfied.
Thanks. I never owned any Climatronic cars. I would like it if they all muted the compressor that way.
Old June 14th, 2017, 04:22   #45
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

I did this last night just before the Wife took the car on some errands.

She was happy with the results. While numbers are great to have, SWMBO being happy is enough for me to justify this change.

The real test for me will be this evening on the way home from work. Today is projected to be in the 90s again, and the car is parked uncovered in a parking lot here at the office.

Quote:

1) Open VCDS
2) Go To Select Modules

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote