www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old June 11th, 2017, 07:35   #1
Funguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg
Default Air Conditioner is WEAK

Dad bought a '15 GSW last month and he is telling me the A/C is weak with output temperature in the 50's. I noticed that my GSW A/C is under-whelming also but I didn't check the temperature

Is there something going on because these cars sat for two years that the air conditioners are weak? Dad's car is at the dealership and they told him it needed a little refrigerant. When we get it back he'll check the output temperature again and I will update the thread.

Any thoughts appreciated
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 07:39   #2
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

They're not ice cold especially when sitting, that's for sure. I'm curious if your dad gets an improvement by having it serviced. I believe these compressors are designed with some fuel economy in mind, they have an interesting design to keep drag on the belt system down. Coupled with the fact that we only have ONE cooling fan may have that effect on how cold they can be. To me, it works great on the highway but in traffic it seems to not do as well.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 07:45   #3
Funguy
Veteran Member

I will let you know if we get any improvement on it. Did your car sit for two years?
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:54   #4
nordska
Veteran Member

My car sat for two years and has the same issue. I took it in to have it looked at on Thursday afternoon. Tech said it was low on R134; they recharged it. It is a little better but still not as cold as my ALH. Let me know what you find out.
nordska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 09:20   #5
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Both of my '15s were purchased before the dieselgate, 50k and 60k miles on them. I don't think sitting for two years has anything to do with the issue

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 09:27   #6
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Mine has worked fine in the three weeks I've owned it, though I rarely use A/C if I don't need it (under 90F degrees and humidity under 75%). I was blipping it on last Thursday on a road trip each time I went down a hill for maybe 20 seconds or so and it cooled the car right down each time. No issues.

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8, 600 lb/ft
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 11:08   #7
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

I do not use my AC too much ~~ (2 year old 2015 Golf (S) DSG TDi

In town I just flip it on then off in a few seconds.

On road, mostly off. If temp is over 90, a little more used.

With thermostat set on high, (COOL) even the lowest speed is way to cold

Only wish it had "zone temp control" like wife's RAV4 Limited.

Just now learning to adjust thermostat, and then set speed on lowest.
NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 20:28   #8
Funguy
Veteran Member

It sounds like mixed reviews on the A/C. I wonder if the people satisfied with the A/C have after market tinted windows?

Also, I wondered if sitting in the dealers lot for 2 years would hurt them because you are supposed to run the air periodically to lube the seals. Dried seals could lose refrigerant.

The car will be back on Tuesday and I will let you know what temperature Dad measures in the center vents.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. No consensus here yet, interesting
Old June 12th, 2017, 02:48   #9
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funguy View Post
It sounds like mixed reviews on the A/C. I wonder if the people satisfied with the A/C have after market tinted windows?

Also, I wondered if sitting in the dealers lot for 2 years would hurt them because you are supposed to run the air periodically to lube the seals. Dried seals could lose refrigerant.

The car will be back on Tuesday and I will let you know what temperature Dad measures in the center vents.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. No consensus here yet, interesting
Keep in mind my unit was bought back in 2015 (July) and in normal service, albeit, low mileage use.

I do not have tint. But wish I did. Not for heat build up, but for better vision.

On a Summer daily run, it starts out in the garage; so no heat problems. After sitting in the "parking lot" (shopping, etc.) it's HOT.

Enter car, lower 2 windows, -- air on high, 10-20 seconds -- close windows, good to go.
Old June 12th, 2017, 06:30   #10
740GLE
Veteran Member

Our '15 Passat blows cold enough to keep the car cool when set to 72 fan on low. So not sure if the sitting for 2 years is the issue.

The Alltrack seems to struggle a little more (could also be due to solar gain as no tint as of now), but it doesn't have climatronic. I'll try and get a temp prob reading.

In previous summers I've noticed the old Jetta was ice cold 40 or so but only if the RPMS were up above 1800 RPMs, and best on the highway. Around town it never really seemed to cool a heat soaked interior, you were comfortable but wouldn't call it cool.
740GLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 06:53   #11
Funguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015vwgolfdiesel View Post
I do not have tint. But wish I did. Not for heat build up, but for better vision.
Surprising but it still seems like there is no consensus on these air conditioners.

I had an appt Friday for a guy (with good on-line reviews) to come over and tint the windows on the GSW and he never showed up. This is my wife's car and we are doing it because her skin is sensitive to the sun. I have been concerned about limiting her vision since she works at night. How would it improve vision any more than a pair of sunglasses would? Sunglasses that you can't remove on a dark night?
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:26   #12
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funguy View Post
Surprising but it still seems like there is no consensus on these air conditioners.

I had an appt Friday for a guy (with good on-line reviews) to come over and tint the windows on the GSW and he never showed up. This is my wife's car and we are doing it because her skin is sensitive to the sun. I have been concerned about limiting her vision since she works at night. How would it improve vision any more than a pair of sunglasses would? Sunglasses that you can't remove on a dark night?
yeah

Similar situation(s) here. I even wear gloves to protect my hands (skin)

Currantly weighing the cost vs night vision results with a tint job. If not good at night, would have to srape it off --

My wife's RAV4 is perfect, but I do not drive it. So there is no direct comparison.
Old June 12th, 2017, 11:16   #13
The Tortoise
Veteran Member

On the 5 hour drive home yesterday the cars thermostat was saying it was 34C (93F) outside. The A/C was more than up to the task of keeping it comfortable inside. It doesn't blow ice cold like my '01 F-150 but it is more than adequate.
The Tortoise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 12:10   #14
Mama Roneck

Thanks for posting this - I was about to start a similar thread! I had a 1.5 hour drive on the NY Thruway yesterday with five people in the car - 93F outside. The aircon could not keep up, although it was a bit better with the air recirculating rather than fresh air coming in. My GSW has been sitting 2 years - I've had it 4 weeks with about 1,000 miles so far. I'm bringing it in for 1,000 mile check up next weekend and will ask them to check refrigerant level.
Mama Roneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 12:38   #15
Funguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Roneck View Post
r. I'm bringing it in for 1,000 mile check up next weekend and will ask them to check refrigerant level.
Please let us know if they are able to improve the A/C and how they do it?