www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old May 1st, 2015, 08:56   #16
obababoy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Avg over 8k miles 21.9 w/subaru

Hey guys, got my 10k service yesterday and on the oil quantity the number was "60" what unit of measurement is this? Better not be oz!
obababoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 09:17   #17
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt927 View Post
Your first oil change is provided free of charge by the dealer at 10,000 miles.
And you get your car back with the lower engine cover half torn off, screws missing, wrong oil, wires not put back, overfilled, etc.

Just kidding.... sort of.

Nice write up Jason. I'm looking forward to doing this... She's only at about 6000km so far.
Old May 1st, 2015, 09:53   #18
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5l/100

Well I took mine to the dealer for the first oil change no charge,and to see what quality of work they did.

Invoice stated several things that weren't actually done but no biggie.
Tires inflated to 34 psi, no I had my winters on and set to 37 psi
Check and top up fluids,no my washer tank was half empty and my DEF I added another 3 liters when I got home.
So test failed ,not returning to dealer unless it's warranty work.
If I had paid for the first oil change damn straight I'd have gone back and *****ed about it.
Old May 1st, 2015, 10:05   #19
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

^ Can you be sure they even changed the oil and filter? If they listed things that weren't done, it's hard to trust that anything was done.

My car experienced some dealership butchery in it's early days, so I never went back. (If something's in the way, they break it off...)

Last edited by Mike_04GolfTDI; May 1st, 2015 at 10:08.
Mike_04GolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 12:06   #20
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5l/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_04GolfTDI View Post
^ Can you be sure they even changed the oil and filter? If they listed things that weren't done, it's hard to trust that anything was done.

My car experienced some dealership butchery in it's early days, so I never went back. (If something's in the way, they break it off...)
Can't be %100 sure but it did say on the invoice, who knows??? Thus is why I'm doing my own from now on.
Old May 1st, 2015, 12:16   #21
WildChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONP View Post
Well I took mine to the dealer for the first oil change no charge,and to see what quality of work they did.

Invoice stated several things that weren't actually done but no biggie.
Tires inflated to 34 psi, no I had my winters on and set to 37 psi
Check and top up fluids,no my washer tank was half empty and my DEF I added another 3 liters when I got home.
So test failed ,not returning to dealer unless it's warranty work.
If I had paid for the first oil change damn straight I'd have gone back and *****ed about it.
That reminds me of when the dealer told me they had to fill-up the DEF tank. I told I would refill it myself as I thought it was cheaper to purchase the 2.5gal containers ($28.75 incl taxes at dealer). They told me, no, we have it in bulk and it will cost between $10-$15. Uh? I though the 2.5gal was the cheapest?!? Oh, you have to add "work time" to the cost of fill-up. Total cost: $70-$80. I ended-up pouring 4/5 of the container in 5 minutes. Total cost: $23 (incl. taxes). I know I could get the DEF for a bit cheaper elsewhere (~$20 for the 2.5gal container)... I am really thinking of doing my own oil change + own diesel filter change.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:56   #22
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONP View Post
If I had paid for the first oil change ......

Of course you paid for the first oil change. it is priced into the car.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 08:11   #23
copperbeech
Veteran Member

JASONP, I wanted to thank you for posting this 'step by step' procedure for an MK7 TDI oil change. Just this morning I printed it out and brought it to my independent mechanic that I have used for the past 10 years. He lets me look and take note of any work he does while he is doing it. He used plastic tie backs to hold back the disconnected hosing and harness. To minimize greatly the mess when removing the filter cap he cracked it open just enough to have it drain over the side and away from all around it. It took longer but there was very little wipe up afterwards. There is no way the dealership would take the time to do what he did to keep things neat and clean.
I filled with Pennzoil Platinum EURO LX 0W30. What I did note was the my owner's manual for our GSW lists the engine oil capacity with filter to be 5.7 l (or 6 quarts). This is convenient as this particular oil comes in one quart bottles.

Last edited by copperbeech; August 13th, 2015 at 08:19.
copperbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 14:15   #24
drew1202
Veteran Member

are you the guy from Bitog that's located in Vinegar Hill? Im eager to know how the oil is.
Old August 13th, 2015, 16:55   #25
Bueller
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1202 View Post
Im eager to know how the oil is.
Slippery!
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 18:53   #26
HSG

Awesome work. Doesn't look too bad. Might give it a shot myself even though the first oil change is free at dealer chip. In that case, I'll be back in about 9k miles.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 20:33   #27
copperbeech
Veteran Member

Too make a long story short the so small "O" ring did not get replaced (only did the larger one). Right now I don't have the energy or time to go back and do it. Given that I changed out the OEM oil and filter extra early am I okay leaving that original teeny tiny "O" ring for what would be an extra 3 months beyond the legitimate 12?
Old August 13th, 2015, 20:40   #28
drew1202
Veteran Member

where does the teeny tiny o-ring go? I couldnt figure it out..
Old August 13th, 2015, 20:51   #29
copperbeech
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1202 View Post
where does the teeny tiny o-ring go? I couldnt figure it out..
In the groove of the oil drain plug for the screw cap .

(Just hoping one can safely leave it in beyond one oil change interval like one can with say a....drain plug washer.)
Old August 13th, 2015, 21:35   #30
drew1202
Veteran Member

uh oh. i never even noticed it...