Rear axle toe-in...stub axle?

NWVintage

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen, 2002 Jetta GLS Wagon 02M
So, I went to the tire shop yesterday and had my winter tires taken off and swapped out for my summers (protecting my warranties). When we took a look at the summers, one had very significant wear on the inner edge. I was shocked to discover this and luckily the winters were only on for about 1.5 months, so didn't experience any obvious wear issues. My tire guys have a great replacement program, so they covered the one tire but I still had to buy one to match ($235), the week after replacing the trans for $3k and with a $200 alignment still on the horizon...

I have scheduled an appointment with a reputable alignment shop (highly recommended by a number of racing clubs) for next week. The issue is that, upon visual inspection, the only wheel that is exhibiting a strange amount of toe-in is the PS rear (LHD vehicle). The most likely culprit (on my thinking) is a bent stub axle. Is there anything else that may be the issue? Something that they'll be able to adjust during the alignment? (yes, it's a real alignment shop and they will be doing a four-corner alignment). I'm just wondering if I would be an idiot to hope that they'll be able to adjust this issue during the alignment or should I just bite the bullet and do the stub axle.

Normally, I would just do the stub for good measure but I just had to swap the transmission last week and I quite simply have other projects that I'd like to spend some time/money on instead of the Jetta...

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Axle beams are relatively easily bent.

Most shops are too lazy to align them. I believe they need to undo the 4 bolts on each side where the beam attaches to the rear floor to move the entire beam to try and do the rear alignment. Most just say it can't be done.

Sometimes it's the axle beam bushings being worn out.

There are shims available to basically shim the stub. I have no experience with them but have a link or two I can hunt for if you're interested.

My beam has been bent for over 100k from my car getting hit by a large rock and ironically it wears that tire.

nathan_b

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 alh jetta/ 2002 alh jetta
what is more costly?

15% extra tire wear.

or new rear beam and labor. And wheel bearings cant be transferred, so your doing rear bearings too.

If is a simple math equation. tires $< $Beam ect ect

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
what is more costly?

15% extra tire wear.

or new rear beam and labor. And wheel bearings cant be transferred, so your doing rear bearings too.

If is a simple math equation. tires $< $Beam ect ect
I decided rotating tires, buying mid priced tires, was the way to go for me.

I have sold a beam to another member a few years ago that made a trip, got a hotel room, just to get teh beam. I'll also have another one available shortly.

But for me I didn't take a mileage hit so I'm willing to feather my RR tire - and spread that over 2 or 4 tires depending on how I rotate. I get 50k or so out of a set of good quality, medium priced tires.

So like now even thought I have an axle beam that should be fine, and have a lift here at home, I likely won't bother swapping the beam out.

If tire wear is too much, the shims may do you well, but I don't personally know anyone who has used them or found a shop that would undertake the project.

NWVintage

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen, 2002 Jetta GLS Wagon 02M
Thanks for all of the input guys!

Honestly, I think the tire wear is more costly in this situation. I have 17" wheels from a NB on there - tires are ~$235/ea mounted/balanced for moderately priced tires. There's a yard 5 miles from me that would sell me a complete beam for ~$150. Who pays for labor?;)

In this case, we're talking about a shop that will definitely bend the beam if that's feasible and what needs to be done. And yes, they are a real alignment shop with techs who know how to adjust all of the necessary parameters on all four corners. They even put weight in the car based upon the standard load and load locations, so that the parameters are met based upon the standard load of the vehicle, not the empty vehicle.

My concern is that the stub axle, not the beam, is bent - I have read a number of accounts of this happening to various VW's. The reason for my concern is that, if I get it there and the shop finds the stub axle to be bent, this is not something that they can bend back - it has to be replaced. A stub, the necessary bolts and a new hub/bearing assembly is $103 from idparts.com; but if they're in the middle of it, the shop will want to do the work and I really have no reason to pay them to do it.

All of that said, I have decided to just see what happens - if I have to take it back another day for them to finish the alignment, then so be it. If possible, I want to avoid doing the stub at this time - I just want to clean up the winter mess in my yard and paint my house before work gets crazy for the summer...