www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old April 12th, 2012, 06:58   #1
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depends on my right foot
Default What tires did you replace your stock Conti's with???

Hello fellow TDI'ers,

Just wanting to get some input on what tires y'all went with when the stock Conti's had lived out their lives, mine are at about 37,000. I drive a good mix of city and highway and I like to turn hard sometimes (freeway turn arounds/ wide intersections). Definitely more of a sporty driver in the city than an economy driver. However I do alot of mini roadtrips on the weekends (approx 200 mi) and At least one big one per year. Last year was out to CA to see family (5000 mi) I would like something that isnt toast within 20,000-25,000 mi. Any input is really appreciated. Thanks.
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:59   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The stock Continentals on my Passat were replaced with Michelins when it had 1.7 miles on the odo.
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:03   #3
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Haha I figured I'd use up the Continentals. Ive been looking at Michelins. Definitely a bit pricey but Ive heard great things. Even though we never really see snow or ice here in Austin Im still probably going to go all season because of the roadtrips I like to take. Probably go with a more Performance touring tire.
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:35   #4
PicknCrew

Fuel Economy: Avg 42

Handling on my stock Conti's are starting to go away at 26k miles on them and getting noisy so I will be glad to get something better on when the time comes.
PicknCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:43   #5
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I would go with Michelin Pilot Primacys. They're a summer tire, which shouldn't be a problem where you live, and I'll bet they'll ride and handle better than the Contis. Less noise, too. I was going to swap mine out but will probably wait until I get some miles out of them.
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:38   #6
MartelArtifex

Fuel Economy: mid 40s
Default 225/55-16s

225/55Z-16s are on my 10JSW as of yesterday. Finally wore out (thank goodness) the Hankooks at 59K (though they have another 15K of tread left). Conti Extreme DWS. No rub at any attitude or direction. Spend most of my miles on third-world-north-American-Interstates in mid-Michigan so I wanted the sidewall height, had considered 15's (it IS that bad around here). Usually run over 90 and for over an hour twice a day. Initial dry/cool handling feedback: Wow.
MartelArtifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:03   #7
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Awesome feedback everyone. Keep it coming!
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:15   #8
vw_leadfoot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~6.4L/100km

Stock on my car were Bridgestone Turanza EL-400's...one lousy tire...had them for four months and when I put on the snows, I sold them and replaced them with my current ContiExtremeContact DW...these are almost at the end of their life (1 summer!). Great tire but too soft and they wear quicky...

Just received from www.discounttiredirect.com [$91 cheaper than TireRack because of free shipping] my new set of:
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, 225/45ZR-17 91Y BSW

These were highly recommended by my mechanic who drives an S4 and another guy in the shop who has a GTI. They have a high tread wear rating of 500 and have a fairly aggressive tread...

They'll be going on in June when I go in for my next service....
2010 Golf TDI SportWagen|2.0L DSG|Highline Trim Level|Deep Black Pearl|Black Leather|Pano-roof|Fog lights|Eibach Pro-Kit|H&R 24mm RSB|OEM Cargo Partition|BlackVue DR500GW-HD|SS Bumper Protector|SS Tips|SS Pedals|Aspherical Mirrors|Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 35F/15R|Chrome Rear Accent Strip|WeatherTech Digital Fit mats|Armadillo Skid Plate|Westfalia Euro Hitch with Custom Harness|17" Porto's - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus|16" Bioline's - Michelin X-Ice Xi2

Last edited by vw_leadfoot; April 12th, 2012 at 09:17.
vw_leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:19   #9
hotpocketdeath
Veteran Member

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

Extrememly good ratings and not as expensive as other tires with similar ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_leadfoot View Post
Stock on my car were Bridgestone Turanza EL-400's...one lousy tire...had them for four months and when I put on the snows, I sold them and replaced them with my current ContiExtremeContact DW...these are almost at the end of their life (1 summer!). Great tire but too soft and they wear quicky...
Summer tires usually don't last as long as other tires because of the softer rubber used. That's why I would go with a good all season instead. Although, according to Tirerack, tire wear is supposed to be good on the DW's

Last edited by hotpocketdeath; April 12th, 2012 at 09:23.
hotpocketdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:28   #10
RNDDUDE
Veteran Member

Michelin MXM4's
RNDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:40   #11
JarHead
Veteran Member

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I ran these on my 02 Golf for pleanty of Miles. Does anyone have any Feed back on them on the Mk6's?
JarHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:58   #12
jtori

Default Replacement Tires for OEM

OEM tires are like starter printer cartridges or those cheap Chinese batteries supplied with new electronic devices. They're practically throwaways. I have had great success with the Michelins and will install a set of 16-inch MXV4s on my '12 JSW at the earliest convenience to replace my Bridgestone Turanza EL400s. Joe.
jtori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:11   #13
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDDUDE View Post
Michelin MXM4's
Im looking at these Primacy's very closely!!
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:34   #14
RNDDUDE
Veteran Member

Be aware that the MXV4 and the MXM4 are different tires. The MXM4 is their latest 'green' LLR tire and uses a percentage of sunflower oil-enriched Helio Compound technology in an all-season tire to increase traction at low temperatures for improved braking and handling in the wet, as well as better overall performance in the snow. I replaced BS turanza's (16") with the MXM4's in 225-50-18, running at 40 psi. and I have been able to get in the high 40's (calculated) mpg, in spite of the taller, slightly wider, & heavier tire. So far about 3K miles, some rain (excellent performer) but no snow. Very quiet and handle predictibly, good tire. Shop around for best prices, Tire rack CAN be beaten on $$$.
RNDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:46   #15
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Thanks RNDDUDE, Im still shopping around. Probably going to go with the MXV4 rather than the MXM4. Apparently they reccomend the M4 for crossovers and minivans...something I am not haha. Plus V4 is also a LRR. But I think I have at least narrowed it down. Thanks again to everyone for your input.