• The TDIClub classifieds section is a heavily trafficked section of the forum that encompasses want-to-buy (WTB) and for-sale (FS) threads for the entire world. Due to the demanding nature and fast pace of this section, it is imperative that you know and understand the rules. It is also important to remember that this is the only parts classifieds section.

Cross-posting and posting classifieds in the regional sections (except the dedicated thread in Ontario) is not permitted.

Multiple items should be sold in one thread. Make sure to provide a description for all items in your post along with pictures and prices. If you start multiple threads with individual items, they will be locked or combined at the discretion of the moderators.

Here is a quick outline of the classifieds section rules. If you don't follow these rules, you subject yourself to thread deletion, thread combination, infractions, or posting privilege revocation.

Thread titles:
    • Put FS or WTB in your thread title. This will let other users know if you are selling or buying.
    • Briefly describe what you are selling. Thread titles have limited space. Be as descriptive, yet succinct, as possible.
    • Put your location in the title.
    • If space allows, put your price in the title

Title example (single item): "FS: 2004 Mk4/BEW cylinder head - Portland, OR - $500"
    Title example (multiple items): "FS: MK6 fog lights, front bumper, headlights, grill - Detroit, MI"
    Title example (car part-out): "FS: Mk3 Jetta parting out engine & interior - Dallas, TX"

Thread text descriptions and pictures:
    • All for-sale threads must include pictures of the items that you are selling. One picture is sufficient, but multiple pictures with different angles will help buyers. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you don't know how to post pictures on TDIClub, see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286691
    • All for-sale threads must include a description. We don't charge per-word, so be as descriptive as possible. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for buyers.
    • All for-sale threads must include a price. Auctions and bidding are not allowed. If you want to auction something off, use eBay.
    No picture, no price, NO SALE!

Thread maintenance/updates/bumps:
    • When you sell something, update your thread with "SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title.
    • If you have multiple items for sale, update your thread as each item has been sold. When everything has been sold, updated the thread with "ALL ITEMS SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title when all items have been sold.
    • If you bump your thread, please delete old bumps by clicking on EDIT and then deleting the old bump. This will reduce clutter in your thread and make it easier to read. It also makes you look less desperate.
    • If you drop your price, please update your first post in addition to posting the new price. If you would like the thread title changed, click on the report post icon and let a moderator know what you would like the title changed to.

Moderator intervention and infraction points:
    Moderators will be monitoring the classifieds section. If a moderator determines that you have not been following the rules listed above, corrections will be made and infraction points will be assessed to your account.

What is an infraction point? Simple - it's a system of keeping track of user behavior. A moderator can assign a point value based on the severity of the infraction, as well as an expiration date on the points assessed. If you accumulate a certain number of points, the system will auto-ban you for a predefined amount of time. The more points you accumulate, the longer your ban period will be.

One example of points is as follows: multiple threads will be combined into a single thread, with the number of infraction points assessed corresponding to the number of threads merged. If we merge four threads into one, then you will be assessed four points that expire in 30 days. When you reach five points, the system will auto-ban you for one day.*

*This is an example based on the current infraction system structure. We reserve the right to modify the infraction system at any time without notice or updates to this announcement.

Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck with your sales and searches! :)

-TDIClub Administration

OBD-II interface boards built & tested with OBD-II plug & pins $30

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Hi All,
Sorry for the long wait on the OBD-II interface boards. I had trouble with a supplier that was going to etch the boards for me.

These boards are assembled and tested, and come with the OBD-II connector and pins. Price is $30 and that includes shipping.

All you need to do is get a serial cable that goes from the laptop to the interface, and build the cable that goes from the interface to the connector on the vehicle.

This is Jeff Noxon's design that was modified a little by Rob Mora (vroom). Now that we have are ducks in a row, if we run out we can have more in about 10 days.

Feel free to call me anytime at 1-888-306-4255 and we can get one sent out to you right away.

Thanks
Greg

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: LanduytG ]</p>

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Hmmm - $30?

What kinda OBD interface are you using?

Is it any more durable than VAG-COM?

I'd like to see a pic just to compare with mine and the Ross-Tech one.

and $30 . . . not much $ good deal . . .

Is it fast sync compatible with the VAG-COM software?

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: GeWilli ]</p>

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
GeWilli
Well I had the price in the subject line but forgot to put it in the body. I will fix it now. It will be $30 shipped.
Greg

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>These broads are assembled and tested, and come with the OBD-II connector and pins. Price is $30 and that includes shipping.<hr></blockquote>

Hmm... assembled broads,
how much is the maintainance/upkeep on them?

They never told me about connectors in health class...

Sorry Gary I couldn't resist.

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by LanduytG:
...These broads are assembled and tested...<hr></blockquote>

Gary,

You get any more broads you want tested... I'm your man. I work cheap, too.

-Mel

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
GeWilli
I'll try to get a pic of it. I am not sure how to post it here though, but I'll try.

It syns up quicker than the one from Andy Whitker. I am sure you know what this one is, all the files were sent to me by Ron Mora (Vroom). I think it is well built, it uses the DB9 connectors instead of the RJ45. I thought anyone could put a cable together with a DB9 but not all have excess to the tools to do the RJ45. I do have the files for a board with the RJ45 on it instead of the DB9. Maybe I'll get some of those made up next.

I will also have something new to put on the Multiplex OBD-II connectors next time as well. It will have a DB9 right off the OBD-II connector so all you need is a common serial cable.

Will keep all posted.

Greg

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: LanduytG ]</p>

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
Ok we now have some pictures as requisted.

This what you get for your $30. The interface assembled and test, along with the OBD-II plug and Pins. Notice the plug is color coded so you know exactly what pin is what. Also the interface is marked, red for computer side, and blue for car side.

Also you get a copy of the circuit, and on the sheet is the color code used for the pins on the OBD-II connector. Not include on this sheet is a mod that Rob Mora did (vroom) and thats a fuse in the K line. Hope to include a fuse on the L line as well next time.

And the board layout sheet is part of the package too.

I will be offering a board soon which uses the RJ45 on the car side of the board instead of a DB9 as well as a fuse put in the L line. If you have any questions please feel free to call me at 1-888-306-4255 8am-10pm.

Greg

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: LanduytG ]</p>

Vroom

Veteran Member
TDI
mrrobmora
Ooohh, fancy. Nice stuff, Greg. I could never manage to keep everything so organized when I made them, so I'm glad you're taking care of everyone.

$30 shipped is a pretty good deal too IMO. And with the money people are saving, people should definately go out and get the software registered with Uwe (if that's what you want to use) since it becomes pretty damn cheap... although I'm one to talk - that's something I still haven't done yet. But soon.

TDI2some

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 PassatTDI GLS, 2003 Audi A4q 1.8t, 1975 Rabbit (waiting for TDI transplant)
I'm sorry, but what does this device do? I want to(plan on) purchase(ing) the VAG-com stuff. Is this a replica of the "CABLE" available from Uwe? 30 bucks seems like a great deal if this is what I think it is. If all I need is a long serial (printer) type cable and registered VAG-com software, then TOTALLY count me in. Gotta do my timing belt soon.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
TDI2some
This is what you need to go between the car and the computer when using Uwe's software. All you need is a serial cable that goes from the computer to the interface. Then you will have to make up the cable that goes between theinterface and car. I include the OBD-II connector that hooks to the car, what you will need to get is at least a 5 conductor wire and a female DB9 connector. All should be available at your local Radio Shack. You can give me a call at 1-888-306-4255 if you would like to order one. I take all major credit cards.

Thanks
Greg

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
I will be interested in this mounted in a box with all cables included. In otherwords, ready to use. Of course I expect it to cost more than $30.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
I have been doing some comparing with what I have for sale and UWE's interface. They are equal in all respects. Sample rate is max at 2.3 per sec. stays locked very well. I only had 1 reconnect in a 1 hour period.

Greg

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
hey, I am up and running, but I am curious how the rest of you treated your cable ends, ie the obd-II connector. Will you leave the wire bare entering the connector. I would feel better if I could get a hood for it somewhere. I may just encapsulate it in epoxy, that way I will be sure the wire ends are protected.
Also, how did you all enclose the actuall board. I made a small box from plexiglass.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
oldpoopie
Glad it has all worked out for you. I might have someone helping me refine it a little. I am looking into enclosers, but then it gets expensive.

Uwe's interface has heat shrink on the connector and then he filled it with what looks like hot glue. I have also made an encloser from 1/8" lexan. I super glued it together and also glued it to the DB9's. I now have my interface, Andy Whitikers and Uwe's. So I am ready for anything now.

Greg

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is the cable to use.

Pre-made and perfect -

I got these for teh people I was making cables for - wow are they nice - they have all the pins in place in case you want to talk to a different car with a different K- or L- line with a different board.

But either way - no issues with this OBD cable the board works great - $5 of parts and a scrap DB9 serial mouse cable with all the wires (ie good old mouse) which. The box and a couple other secret things drive the price up - etching the boards isn't even needed - MIGolf and Liv4sp made some nice boards with the Radio Shack project box and perf board and some of that super thin 30 gauge wire.

but it is a PITA when it doesn't work perfectly, and I have had a few boards with tiny messed up traces that weren't quite making the connection . . .

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OKAY GDit - this new no editing sh!t

here is the image again

(fingers crossed)

of course now I realize why it didn't work but here it is -

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Got it sorted out. Wired the OBD-II directly to an rj45 jack, then made a hood out of plexi and an epoxy type of plastic glue. Worked out really well and you can hardly see any seams. Made my own db9 to rj45 adapter too. Seem like the rj45 is the way to go, as you can get cables pre-made at different lengths.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I bought LanduytG's board, works great. As for making a box, why make if you can buy? Go to Radio Shock and get one of their project enclosures. Look for the small one that has an aluminum cover, the box is plastic, and it comes with a small fitted circuit board. Throw away the little board, cut two appropriately sized holes to fit the ports, and stuff it in there. I used 2 small computer screws to anchor the board to one end of the box, there is like 1/8th inch variation in the box vs the board size, but you need that space to get it in without breaking anything.

As for the cable ends, I used one of Radio Shock's DB9 Metalized cable holders for the com port end, and wrapped the OBDII plug with several wire ties to act as a hold-down for the cable. I may encase it in hot glue, I may not. Have not decided yet. Does anyone know of a hood for that plug, similar to the DB9 hood?

--Jim

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I made a box for the same reason I made the cable. I love to make things. Why did you buy this kit if there is one already available from the vag-com folks themselves? I looked at the project enclosures at rad shack and just thought they looked halfassed. I want something to look like it was professionally constructed or near to it at least.

TDI-NEVER-DIE

Veteran Member
TDI
bora
what's up folks.. my question is: how is the computer isolated from the car? is there an inline fuse, is there any way feedback can fried either the dte or dce? i'm looking to purchase one and for around 30 beans i'll get 2 but need to find out if anybody has had any problem or other concerns. thanks in advance.

Vroom

Veteran Member
TDI
mrrobmora
He has optoisolators on all the lines running between the car and the pc... there is a fuse in there, but it's only to protect the transistor on the k-line. It should be pretty safe.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
vroom
After looking the layout and parts list over for rev2, why do you have the solder cup DB9 on the list? Looks like the pc board right angle DB9 would still work?
Greg

Vroom

Veteran Member
TDI
mrrobmora
Greg, I don't remember what I sent you (I accidentally nuked my hard drive
), but I think the solder cup connector was meant to be for the DB9-ISO9141 cable that runs between the adapter and OBD2 port on the car.

But if rev2 was the one that uses an RJ45 jack on the car side of the adapter, then that's a mistake on my part. The only DSub connector on that board is the one on the PC side (and it's the same part used on the first version).